Old November 12th 03, 07:05 PM
Michael Moore

piggy-back

Soliloquy wrote:

Clock trivia, notice the display on clocks that use Roman numerals.
It goes I, II, III, IIII, IV, V, VI, VII, IX, X, XI, XII. Standard
Roman numerals denote IIII as IV. The Non-Standard application above
is used to keep symmetry in the display, keeping the character use in
units of 4. (4 all Is, 4 with Vs, 4 with Xs) Not all clock with Roman
numerals use this system, but the use is widespread..

Although the IIII may add to symmetry of clock dials, this form of the
number does have historical precedent going back to the early Romans,
Etruscans, and the Hittites -- same for using VIIII for 9 (an 'additive'
system was a constant in early Roman numeration). The IV form (a
'subtractive' system) was probable adopted later. Consider for example
that it was not until the middle of the fifteenth century that the first
documented cases of the use of IX for 9 occur. The first use of the IV
was noted in the Middle Ages (?).

--
M2

Old November 12th 03, 09:57 PM
elfa

In article , Mark S. Holden says...

WShoots1 wrote:

I've never seen a Roman numeral clock without an VIII, either. G

Bill, KVBY

I guess if you put 4 on there twice, you have to drop one of them.

But I do remember seeing a clock with each hour marked "5" and the face read "No
Cocktails before 5 O'clock"

There are also clocks that have the numbers facing backwards with the hands that
turn backwards. They're for barbershops so the patron can see the time by
looking at a reflection of it in the mirror.

elfa

Old November 13th 03, 01:24 AM
Tony Meloche

WShoots1 wrote:

I've never seen a Roman numeral clock without an VIII, either. G

Bill, KVBY

I guess if you put 4 on there twice, you have to drop one of them.

But I do remember seeing a clock with each hour marked "5" and the face read "No
Cocktails before 5 O'clock"

There are also clocks that have the numbers facing backwards with the hands that
turn backwards. They're for barbershops so the patron can see the time by
looking at a reflection of it in the mirror.

elfa

The barber I went to as a kid had one, though they are quite common
in barbershops, as you say.

It's easy to make a backward-running electric clock. 99% of them use
a rotor surrounded by a shaded pole motor coil. Remove the coil and
flip it over, and the clock will run backwards.

Tony

Old November 13th 03, 02:59 AM
WShoots1

There are also clocks that have the numbers facing backwards with the hands
that turn backwards. They're for barbershops so the patron can see the time by
looking at a reflection of it in the mirror.

Shucks. And I thought that was an Aggie clock.

Bill, K5BY
Old November 13th 03, 03:35 AM
elfa

In article , WShoots1 says...

There are also clocks that have the numbers facing backwards with the hands
that turn backwards. They're for barbershops so the patron can see the time by
looking at a reflection of it in the mirror.

Shucks. And I thought that was an Aggie clock.

Careful there....I'm an 'Aggie'. Univ Cal at Davis.

elfa

Bill, K5BY

Old November 13th 03, 03:42 AM
RHF

WShoots1 wrote:

I've never seen a Roman numeral clock without an VIII, either. G

Bill, KVBY

I guess if you put 4 on there twice, you have to drop one of them.

But I do remember seeing a clock with each hour marked "5" and the face read "No
Cocktails before 5 O'clock"

There are also clocks that have the numbers facing backwards with the hands that
turn backwards. They're for barbershops so the patron can see the time by
looking at a reflection of it in the mirror.

elfa

ELFA,

OMG !

- I thought the CCW Clocks

- - Were for those many people who

(0; sdraW kcaB sgnihT eeS syawlA - - -

jftfoi ~ RHF

..

..
Old November 13th 03, 04:45 AM
WShoots1

elfa: Careful there....I'm an 'Aggie'. Univ Cal at Davis.

:-) Isn't UC-D more "agri?" Or had you been to Texas A&M?

I believe one of my twin grandsons is at UC-SLO. His major would make him an
"aggie" (lower case).

Bill, K5BY
Old November 13th 03, 06:15 AM
elfa

In article , WShoots1 says...

elfa: Careful there....I'm an 'Aggie'. Univ Cal at Davis.

:-) Isn't UC-D more "agri?" Or had you been to Texas A&M?

Are you kidding? UCD's students have been known as Aggies since 1922. The
campus was founded in 1908 (originally known as "University Farm" and the all
male students were then called "Davis Farmers").

I believe one of my twin grandsons is at UC-SLO. His major would make him an
"aggie" (lower case).

I lived in SLO and take my word on it, it's not the agri oriented campus that
Davis is (or at least was when I graduated in 1967).

elfa

Bill, K5BY

Old November 14th 03, 04:38 AM
WShoots1

Elfa: UCD's students have been known as Aggies since 1922. The campus was
founded in 1908 (originally known as "University Farm" and the all male
students were then called "Davis Farmers").

Thanks for the enlightenment. Although I spent the first half of my 73 years in
California, it was in So Cal. The closest I'd come to Davis was living a year
each on the Peninsula and in Marysville.

I know a lot of independent schools, including at least two "A&Ms" I know of,
became satellite campuses for major universities.

73,
Bill, K5BY
(Ex-W6BMM)
Old November 15th 03, 06:53 PM
Jim

my dad was a ham. he had a clock that had 24 hours on it. it went around
only once in a day and read the hours directly from 1 to 24. he also had
a watch that was the same. this is how i learned to tell time as a kid.
once as a young kid in school i was hauled to the office and they called
my parents to come in to see them. they said that i must be retarded or
something because i couldnt even read the school clocks or tell time!
dad said "huh?" since when? he asked me what time it was and it was
true, i couldnt tell. dad was looking confused but then he smiled real
big and showed me his watch. "what does this say?" i told them that it
was 15:30. there you go! the school clocks only had half a day on them
and how can you expect a kindergartener to understand that? hell! i
almost got stuck on the short buss because of military time! i am doing
much better now.