Old December 6th 03, 07:28 PM
Steven Swift

Default Cheap Antenna "towers." (water pipes)

It turns out that I don't have any decent supports for a good long wire
antenna on my property. I do have access to lots of old iron water pipe.

I was thinking that I could build a support by screwing together 10ft
lengths of this galvanized iron pipe. Start with 1-1/2inch on the
ground, use reducing couplers until I am down to 1/2inch at the top.
Seems pretty strong and stiff. The wire load would be pretty minimal
(we don't get ice storms very often). I could get 30-50ft really easily.

Has anyone done this?

TIA,

Steve
--
Steven D. Swift, , http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC. P.O. Box 55997
Old December 7th 03, 02:27 AM
Diverd4777

-
you could use the pipes as uprights for a HUGE curtain array ..

Put the pipes in some sort of insulated base
Then
When it's set
Wrap insulated Stranded wire round
& round
& Round

500 - 2000 feet later you'd have something of interest..

I mean,
- WHY not give it a try . . !

In article , David
writes:

Sounds scary.

Old December 7th 03, 05:52 AM
Rob Mills

TOP RAIL - As an Antenna Support Structure - Building Material

I've used top rail in the past but never un-guyed, but then I live in
tornado alley.

Rob Mills ~ Tulsa

Old December 7th 03, 03:16 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Hi Steve
When I was a kid in central Alberta in 1956 I used a galavanizeed 4 inch
well pipe about 30 feet long to support a 10 element channnel 2 yagi so I
could get a 100 microvolt signal from 100 miles away. It was lashed to my
shack and I could turn it with a pipe wrench to get US TV during the summer
sunspot cycle. The end was about 3 feet in the ground resting on a piece of
wood. That fall the pipe filled with water that froze and it split (must
have been poor ERW) but still worked fine. I used to shinny up it to
replace the twin lead.
If you don't want to guy the pipe lash three together and I'll bet you can
go well over 30 or 40 feet with no guys and much higher with guys. Drill a
small hole in each near the ground level to let them drain!..In common soil
the ultility companies bury 10% plus 2 feet for 50 foot poes but I don't
think you'll have that much load so unless a fall will cause other damage
you could probably get by with 10% well tamped.
73
hank wd5jfr

Old December 7th 03, 03:24 PM
RHF

RM,

Ah... Don't have that 'problem' here in the SF Bay Area.
- When the earth starts a Shaking ))) ) ) ) ))) ) ) ))
- - the Top Rail Automatically . . .
- - - Retracts into the Ground !
Just For the Fun of It !

jftfoi ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Rob Mills"

Old December 7th 03, 04:19 PM
Bill Hennessy

No, but it sounds like a good idea. I have heard of useing PVC for a mast.
But thay say it's only good for about 20 feet. If your only going to use a
wire antenna, you might think about a mast and not a tower.

Bill, N5NOB

Old December 7th 03, 11:15 PM
m II

Steven Swift wrote:

I was thinking that I could build a support by screwing together 10ft
lengths of this galvanized iron pipe. Start with 1-1/2inch on the
ground, use reducing couplers until I am down to 1/2inch at the top.
Seems pretty strong and stiff. The wire load would be pretty minimal
(we don't get ice storms very often). I could get 30-50ft really easily.

It's not a good idea. Even a slight wind puts a load on the wire. Think
about a first class lever. There will be about a thousand to one
multiplication of the wind force on the wire at the first thread coming
out of the coupling/reducer. You basically have a ten foot lever with a
fulcrum at an inch and a half from the far end. The metal isn't that
great of an alloy to begin with and gets weakened further by the cut
threads. The breakage will most likely happen at the bottom of one of
these threads. Don't do it...

mike

--

..let the cat out to reply..