Old January 7th 04, 03:51 PM
Eric F. Richards

HFguy wrote:

GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect

I am, like DeWayne, the happy owner of an R75, AND I owned a Drake R8B for
three years. The R8B is an awesome receiver, and the problems you're blowing
all out of proportion are as DeWayne says, minor and infrequent (I never ONCE
had a problem with the encoder or tuning knob)...
I have been following your (Kenneth's) current run of tirades for a few days
now, and don't really know what your point has been all along.

snipped

That was the most sensible reply on this subject that I've ever seen.
Congratulations Linus.

HFguy beat me to it, Linus. That's the first rational reply on the
subject. The R-75 I had was a fine receiver -- to a point -- but now
that I've sold it, I won't miss it at all.

As for the religious wars... what can I say? After a year and a half
away, an R-75 war breaks out and phil pops back in.

--
Eric F. Richards,
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940
Old January 7th 04, 05:46 PM
N8KDV

Can't answer my questions can you Kenneth?

Old January 7th 04, 06:04 PM
N8KDV

Kenneth wrote:

Yes sensible like this one :
Yes, I agree... My R8B is a miserable failure as well. Certain parts of
the HF band are totally useless for weak signal work because of the
birdies spaced every 1.5 kc or so. For just a couple of extra bucks
invested in shielding and separate boards they could have had a nice
clean receiver---but Drake was more interested in the profit margin.

Again Kenneth, if it's so simple, why haven't you fixed it?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old January 7th 04, 06:13 PM
GrtPmpkin32

My R8B flaws facts "no give sense" compared with other
logical reasons? I keep with my scientific side by side test facts an
leave the "logic reasoning" to the studious.

That's obvious.

They have the the freedom to
defend their radios, what the problem with that.?

I never said there was a 'problem' with freedom to express opinions (and I find
it amazing, as usual, that I get the tired 'censorship' accusation from yet
another teen-minded champion of personal pride of ownership), but if you would
care to go back into the archives and read through a fraction of the myriad
threads over who's got the better product and who's an idiot for NOT buying
said product, you'd know that your position and churlish attitude is neither
new, nor constructive.

I did the side by side test and for me
your reaction is only a failed intent to sweep the facts under the
rug.

Here lies the core of the whole 'my rig's better than your rig' ****ing
contest.
You admitted already that you leave logic to others, and are not using logic in
your current strand of posts, so I'll make this easier for you.
There's a HUGE difference between your singular, personal experiences with a
given product and someone else's reviews of the same thing versus any actual
FACTS. What you are attempting to do (illogically, as you admit) is portray
your opinion, and a handful of other's opinions, as FACTS to prove your
position in some blown-up (and utterly needless) debate over your radio. The
books and periodicals you mention as scientific proof are still derived from
personal experiences, and while I often refer to the same books and articles
for input and advice, I do not consider anything told to me (beyond basics like
dimensions, weight, frequency range, etc.) as FACTS. MY personal experiences
(are you spotting the lesson here yet?) with many products have differed quite
dramatically than the opinions and 'facts' expressed in those articles quite
often.
You have a personal agenda to defend your radio, which seems silly to me.
There's a difference between having real facts, and simply displaying a
churlish, personal-pride-of-ownership temper tantrum. ANYONE can point to
articles both pro- and con- regarding ANY product you care to mention... and
NONE of those articles, pro- or con-, can change YOUR personal experience and
preferences.

At last you got it;all radios have pro's and flaws."Get everything
right" commercial advertisement is only a nice myth.

If you really believed what you're saying all through this, you would have
simply not replied to Telamon's personal opinion, since it was EXACTLY that:
His statement of flaws of the radio in question, which IN *HIS* OPINION, helped
him decide NOT to purchase the radio.
ANYTHING beyond that is pointless.
I like my R75, and I liked my R8B, and have had not a single problem with
either of them. You seem to have gotten a dud.
Linus

Old January 7th 04, 06:24 PM
N8KDV

Kenneth wrote:

My R8B flaws facts "no give sense" compared with other
logical reasons? I keep with my scientific side by side test facts an
leave the "logic reasoning" to the studious.

Would someone please step forward and translate the above?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"

Old January 7th 04, 08:10 PM
Mark S. Holden

N8KDV wrote:

Kenneth wrote:

My R8B flaws facts "no give sense" compared with other
logical reasons? I keep with my scientific side by side test facts an
leave the "logic reasoning" to the studious.

Would someone please step forward and translate the above?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"

I'm not sure what he intended to say, but the message I got is he's too wound up on this subject to express his thoughts clearly.

Perhaps it's time to let this thread die or revert back to the original question.
Old January 8th 04, 12:09 AM
Kenneth

N8KDV wrote in message ...
Kenneth wrote:

My R8B flaws facts "no give sense" compared with other
logical reasons? I keep with my scientific side by side test facts an
leave the "logic reasoning" to the studious.

Would someone please step forward and translate the above?

Hi Steve:Here I,m quoting someone post . The: "no give sense compared
with other logical reasons" phrase are not my words.
Old January 8th 04, 12:14 AM
N8KDV

Kenneth wrote:

N8KDV wrote in message ...
Kenneth wrote:

My R8B flaws facts "no give sense" compared with other
logical reasons? I keep with my scientific side by side test facts an
leave the "logic reasoning" to the studious.

Would someone please step forward and translate the above?

Hi Steve:Here I,m quoting someone post . The: "no give sense compared
with other logical reasons" phrase are not my words.

Well, I'm sure glad we got that cleared up! ;)