Old January 11th 04, 04:11 PM
Llgpt

Subject: Icom R-75 question
From: Eric F. Richards
Date: 1/11/2004 10:00 AM Central Standard Time
"phil " wrote:

You. Are. An. Idiot.

You go play with your R-75, all features, no basic
performance play toy while the rest of us use real
radios.

you're pandering Eric.

No I'm not. The quotes Kenneth wroted [sic] are taken way out of
context.

If you go by Passport criteria alone (which I don't, BTW, and you
remember that) the T-T was a "Passport's Choice" and the '75 was not.

your R75 overloaded; however, you conveniently
forgot the details.

I think my lack of forgetting is well documented. Do you want me to
quote them, again?

you were LW DXing using a 1000' wire that was
"abandoned" because it was aimed at a 50kW MW blowtorch.

No, it was "abandoned" because of a government project that ended.
Such things happen all the time in government facilities -- after a
project is done, the equipment is abandoned in place.

you botched using
your spectrum analyzer,

Judgement call. I didn't succeed in what I wanted to do, but that's a
long way from "botching" it.

bought filters, then got an owner of the well
respected R8B to drive across the state; only it too overloaded by 40 dB.

It did. But much more gracefully than the R75.

instead of pondering you badmouthed the R75 and R8B, claiming that both
were not "real radios".

I never made that claim. And I reported here EXACTLY the results I
got. I "badmouthed" the R75 because of my experience with it.

only an experienced DXer, Steve, and others got you
to shut your pie hole.

I've plonked Steve. I respect the R8B; I even respect the R75,
believe it or not. But I will not look at either radio as perfection,
sorry. For that matter, I don't look at my T-T as perfection, either.

we told you the antenna was resonant on MW and to
use a LW loop, but why admit a mistake when you can blame an inanimate
object.

That's an interesting judgement. Which frequency is that wire
resonant on? All of them?

denial is not just a river in Egypt. you call Ken an idiot but he
modded his radio and hand built a K9AY loop.

I call Ken an idiot because he can't spew out a coherent english
sentence, AND he's bashing a radio he never used. Got news for you,
doc, I've used the R75. I got a crack at the R8B. I've used the
FRG-100, and I've used the RX-340. Nothing beats actually USING the
radios.

Now, if Ken wants to put the two radios in perspective, then I might
respect what he has to say, but he doesn't.

about the only thing you've
proven to be an expert at is phoning your credit card number in to the
TenTec facility.

Actually I went down there and talked to the engineers about their
design. They were more than willing to go over it with me. Have you
spoken to any engineers at ICOM about the myriad mods you had to do to
get the radio up to spec?

73s,

Ha! "F*ck you, best regards." Nice try.

phil

Don't be such an asshole. Have you gotten your 6790? It might be an
educational experience.

Look. Try not to worship a radio. It's a RADIO, nothing more. I
have said before and I'll say again, that the R75 is a fine receiver,
within its limits. But ICOM spent too much time adding features and
not enough time with the basics. Drake spent much more time with the
basics, THEN added the features -- proof of that can be seen by the
evolution of the sync detector and the user interface.

I like my ICOM R8500, despite its hideous flaws, because it got the
basics right, and one of the basics it got right was that it has a
brick wall for a front end. It also has excellent audio, without
modding the hell out of it. I like my RX-340 despite its minor flaws,
because it does such a damned good job.

I have 5 radios in my shack now, and each has a purpose. Depending on
what I want to do, I choose a radio and use it. I *worship* none of
them.

Perspective. It's not just for breakfast any more.

--
Eric F. Richards,

"This book reads like a headache on paper."
http://www.cnn.com/2001/CAREER/readi...one/index.html

Excellent, very well said Eric!

I have anywhere from 5 to 9 receivers at any given time, I too believe that
certain receivers work better than others in any given situation.

Maybe Phil will stay over in Yahoo with Kenneth (the spelling bee champ) and
continue to modify the R75.

Les

Old January 11th 04, 07:08 PM
N8KDV

From: Eric F. Richards
Date: 1/11/2004 10:00 AM Central Standard Time
"phil " wrote:

[...]

And I'll stay here... even though I've been plonked!

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old January 14th 04, 03:18 AM
phil :)

hi Eric:

the 1000' antenna was untuned, very capable of obsorbing MW energy,
directional, and aimed at a powerful MW station. the R8B/R75 both
overloaded: too much first mixer energy. the R8500 did better due to its LW
BPF (100-500 kHz) and relays (vs PIN diodes). however, for NDBs a $50
homebrew LW loop, being tuned and directional [rotateable], reduces IP3
demands... any tabletop will suffice.

AFA ICOM, i care little. their errors were our gain: users get a $1050
radio for $450 and Kiwa fixes it for $80. if it were perfect i would not
have created three mods and done five. i have 5 MW radios and often use a
portable. my limiting factors are external MW band noise [~10 dBuV at 1
MHz] and antenna related. i do look forward to Pete's MW receiver.

regards,
phil
Old January 14th 04, 03:43 PM
Eric F. Richards

"phil " wrote:

hi Eric:

the 1000' antenna was untuned, very capable of obsorbing MW energy,
directional, and aimed at a powerful MW station.

Quite true, but that's not what you said -- you said it was
"resonant." A nit-pick, perhaps, but you misrepresented several
things I had said and done in that message, and I do not take kindly
to that.

As for the "flamethrower" at the end of the wire, they are in
violation of 47 CFR 22.369, which explicitly lays out the field
strength limits on Table Mountain. They may get grandfathered in, but
now that the feds are reopening Table Mountain for NIST projects, the
local HDTV wannabes are chafing at the restrictions -- even though
their antennas would be about 40 miles away.

the R8B/R75 both
overloaded: too much first mixer energy.

But at very different signal strenghts and with very different
characteristics: The R8B overloaded abruptly -- switching in a 1 dB
step was enough to have it operating normally or overloaded. The R75,
by contrast, had this "mushy" signal strength area.

the R8500 did better due to its LW
BPF (100-500 kHz) and relays (vs PIN diodes).

Yes, but mostly I'm interested in the results of the design. Not that
I'm not interested in the design, but the implementation is what made
the '8500 immune to such things.

however, for NDBs a $50
homebrew LW loop, being tuned and directional [rotateable], reduces IP3
demands... any tabletop will suffice.

Well, if I rejoin the group that works out there and set up a loop,
I'll see if I can pick up the DFW OMs as cleanly as I could with the
wire.

Then I'll use my homebrew phaser with a loop and the wire. Probably
Pete's loop.

AFA ICOM, i care little. their errors were our gain: users get a $1050
radio for $450 and Kiwa fixes it for $80. if it were perfect i would not
have created three mods and done five.

I still think you think you got more than you really did. Just out of
curiosity, is that $1050 the original price of the R75? It was pretty
high when it came out.

i have 5 MW radios and often use a
portable. my limiting factors are external MW band noise [~10 dBuV at 1
MHz] and antenna related. i do look forward to Pete's MW receiver.

I do as well and will probably get one as soon as they're available.

regards,
phil

--
Eric F. Richards

"The weird part is that I can feel productive even when I'm doomed."
- Dilbert
Old January 15th 04, 01:26 PM
RHF

EFR,

Not to re-enter the MIGHT DRAKE RB* -=V=- 'lowly icom ic-r75' Debate again.

But, IIRC from Antennas 101.
ANTENNA BASICS http://www.qsl.net/g3yrc/antenna%20basics.htm
INDEX= http://www.qsl.net/g3yrc/antenna%20theory%20index.htm

EVERY 'piece' of Wire is "Resonant" at some Frequency [.]

LDTM (Lets Do The Math):

One Wave Length to Mega Hertz Frequency Factor = 984

Claimed Antenna Length = 1000 Feet

One Wave Length (Resonant) Frequency = 984 / 1000 = 0.984 MHz = 984 kHz
NOTE: This would be RESONANT in the Middle of the AM/MW Band.
* Half (1/2) Wavelength Frequency = 492 kHz
* Quarter (1/4)Wavelength Frequency = 246 kHz
* Two (2) Wavelengths Frequency = 1968 kHz
* Three (3) Wavelength Frequency = 2952 kHz
(o: Pick a Number... Any Number ! )

Keeping It Simple: Frequency Wavelength Calculator
Goto= http://www.csgnetwork.com/freqwavelengthcalc.html

Goto=
Frequency to Wavelength Look Up table [For Dummies] {Oops in Metres?)
How To Convert Metres (Meters) * 3.281 = Feet
* MEDIUM WAVE FREQUENCIES
Goto= http://www.geocities.com/roger_sharp/lookup.html
* LONG WAVE FREQUENCIES
Goto= http://www.geocities.com/roger_sharp/lookuplw.html

O T H E R : Frequency to Wavelength to Feet/Metre Information.
Goto= http://www.zyra.org.uk/freqwav.htm
Goto= http://www.radiomods.co.nz/radiomath.html

(o: Not to WHIP the Subject to Death )
* Whip Antenna Length and Frequency Calculator
Goto= http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennagen...eqlencalc.html

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = Eric F. Richards

Old January 15th 04, 01:43 PM
Kenneth

Eric F. Richards wrote in message
You go play with your R-75, all features, no basic
performance play toy while the rest of us use real
radios.

you're pandering Eric.

No I'm not. The quotes Kenneth wrote [sic] are taken way out of
context.

What quotes this quotes from passport to world band radio?:
The Ten Tec RX340 [$3,999]test findings:The sync selectable
sideband
lose look relatively
easily,Passport recomend an external Sherwood SE-3 [500.00],poor
dynamic range,static crashes sound harsher than on analog
receivers.Spurious signal noted around 6MHZ segment,notch filter does
not work in AM,Sync selectable sideband or ISB modes,Noise blanker not
effective ect, ect, ect,
If you go by Passport criteria alone (which I don't, BTW, and you
remember that) the T-T was a "Passport's Choice" and the '75 was not.

Icom R75 was WRTH [World radio TV handbook]choice over the R8B the
same year they tested both.Now you " don't go by Passport criteria
alone" because they documented your expensive toy flaws?

you were LW DXing using a 1000' wire that was
"abandoned" because it was aimed at a 50kW MW blowtorch.

You aimed a 1000' wire at a 50kw blowtorch for LW dxing and overloaded
a Drake R8b in a "gracefully stupid way" by 40db and a R75 in a no so
gracefully way? An antenna dance [ballet] show?

Judgement call. I didn't succeed in what I wanted to do,

You are very fast at calling names in a stupid manner but
keep failing and overloading Drakes R8B and Icom R-75 [receivers with
very good dynamic range], read for example passport Icom 8500 dynamic
range report "poor dynamic range ,surprising at this price [$1,699]
point and Ten tec RX340 [$3,999] dynamic IP/3 test reportoor
dynamic range IP/3. There is very good information about how not to
overload a receiver using the wrong antenna arrangement in the ARRL
antenna handbook.
bought filters, then got an owner of the well
respected R8B to drive across the state; only it too overloaded by 40 dB.

It did. But much more gracefully than the R75.

The R8b "overloaded by 40db GRACEFULLY"? This is funny.Why you add
the word "gracefully to the R8B overloading? Maybe do you have fear to
the Steve and others R8B owners reaction?
instead of pondering you badmouthed the R75 and R8B, claiming that both
were not "real radios".

I never made that claim. And I reported here EXACTLY the results I
got. I "badmouthed" the R75 because of my experience with it.

Yes you had a bad experience using a 1,000 antenna aimed at a 50kw
blowtorch.The problem is not with the arrow[the radio] but with the
"Indian" [user knowledge about ant and radios]
only an experienced DXer, Steve, and others got you
to shut your pie hole.

Yes Steve and others are around this is the only reason to minimizing
the drake R8B overloading using nice words like "a gracefully
overload"
I've plonked Steve. I respect the R8B; I even respect the R75,
believe it or not. But I will not look at either radio as perfection,
sorry. For that matter, I don't look at my T-T as perfection, either.

Do you really plonked Steve ? Yes I agree your ten tec RX-340
[$3,999] is not perfect,not my R-75 not the R8B.

denial is not just a river in Egypt. you call Ken an idiot but he
modded his radio and hand built a K9AY loop.

You Eric are the only IDIOT here.Who overload the drake R8B radio by
40DB or the R-75?Who was the one that spend $10,000 in radios and not
in a $20.00 ARRL ant handbook or Joe carr antenna book or [$300.00]for
a Quantum pro loop ant for LW dxing?
Now, if Ken wants to put the two radios in perspective, then I might
respect what he has to say, but he doesn't.

Yes bring your facts no biased oppinions or Moronic childishness.
about the only thing you've
proven to be an expert at is phoning your credit card number in to the
TenTec facility.

This is hilarious, a classic.
I like my ICOM R8500, despite its hideous flaws, because it got the
basics right, I like my RX-340 despite its minor flaws,
because it does such a damned good job.
Perspective. It's not just for breakfast any more.

Yes the right perspective is that I like my radio and you like your
radios,"despite the minor flaws".
Old January 15th 04, 01:49 PM
N8KDV

Kenneth wrote:

[...]

What is the problem with the Indian? Steve = Proud decendant of the Miami Nation.

only an experienced DXer, Steve, and others got you
to shut your pie hole.

Yes Steve and others are around this is the only reason to minimizing
the drake R8B overloading using nice words like "a gracefully
overload"
I've plonked Steve. I respect the R8B; I even respect the R75,
believe it or not. But I will not look at either radio as perfection,
sorry. For that matter, I don't look at my T-T as perfection, either.

Do you really plonked Steve ? Yes I agree your ten tec RX-340
[$3,999] is not perfect,not my R-75 not the R8B.

I'm plonked, but I still survive.

Old January 16th 04, 12:52 PM
Kenneth

Telamon wrote in message
What quotes this quotes from passport to world band radio?:
The Ten Tec RX340 [$3,999]test findings:The sync selectable
sideband lose look relatively easily,Passport recomend an external
Sherwood SE-3 [500.00],poor dynamic range,static crashes sound
harsher than on analog receivers.Spurious signal noted around 6MHZ
segment,notch filter does not work in AM,Sync selectable sideband or
ISB modes,Noise blanker not effective ect, ect, ect,

You play fast and loose with the facts, misstating or exaggerating them.
I used to think that you were just confused but you continue although
corrected so I can only conclude that your thoughts are completely
prejudicial whatever your motivation. You have no credibility.

What the problem? Do you don't like this passport RX 340 flaws report?
This is NOT MY OPPINION but the "con" part of the passport to world
band radio magazine review.Do you think they are "prejudiced whatever
their motivations"?.Then why you not call them and protest? You are
making a ridiculous ninny paper prattling "You have no credibility"
"you have not credibility" but this is only your nonsense oppinion
because you want to deflect the attention and hide the passport report
about your expensive receiver.Why don't accept it or complain with the
right people [passport reviewers staff]about the review and stop this
nonsense? This sample of the report [the flaws part] is an accurate
quote of what the passport reviewer wrote and NOT MY OPPINION.I don't
add anything or exaggerate anything.You are the only one confused and
with credibility deficiency here.
Ken
Old January 16th 04, 09:59 PM
Pete KE9OA

I am glad that you received the data.............anyway, this chip is
specified as going down to 400kHz. I know that the phase detector requires a
higher drive level as you go lower in frequency. As an example, it requires
800mV p-p at 455kHz. I am not sure how much it would need at 50kHz, or it it
would even work. You would need to replace the 455kHz ceramic filters with
some sort of 50kHz filter if you wanted to keep the noise floor low, at the
very least.

Pete

starman wrote in message
Pete KE9OA wrote:

I haven't heard from you, so I will assume that you did receive the

info.

Pete

I got them Pete. Thanks a lot. I haven't studied the schematic too much
but I was wondering what changes (if any) would be needed to use the
sync' detector with a 50-Khz I.F.?