Old January 1st 04, 03:05 AM
Kenneth

IMHO: It's the R75's Mods that personalize the radio and endears the
R75 to it's owners.
= = = Telamon
= = = wrote in message

Iım not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that must be modified
to work as advertised.

For example a ten-tec RX-340? This one have some flaws too and cost
$3,950.The sync selectable sideband lose look relatively
easily,Passport recomend an external Sherwood SE-3 [500.00],poor
dynamic range,static crashes sound harsher than on analog
receivers.Spurious signal noted around 6MHZ segment,notch filter does
not work in AM,Sync selectable sideband or ISB modes,Noise blanker not
effective ect, ect, ect,.What about a Drake R8B? Cost $1,495, This
one have a lot of flaws too,for example the power supply run very
hot,[a remedy is to use an external power supply],bassy sound
"virtually requieres a outboard speaker" [Passport],a cheap mechanical
encoder used to have an above -average failure rate [Why not an
optical one like in the AOR 7030+],a lot of birdies and background
hiss [from the syntetiser board and some Poor shielding and grounding
techniques ect ect ect.....My R75 cost only $450.00 with free DSP
included.It have installed 2.4khz,3.3khz,6khz filters, Pete's
sensitivity mod,339 comparator sync mod,Phidelity mod all this mods
for less than $50.00 and not only "work as advertised" but work better
than a R8B [and others expensive receivers] for dxing.
The Icom R75 does not have QC problems I'm aware of. It does have design
problems and is the reason people have the units modified. All receivers have design problems.

Old January 1st 04, 05:11 AM
Telamon

In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

snip
= = = Telamon
= = = wrote in message

[...]

The Ten Tec RX340, Drake R8B and AOR 7030 perform to their
specifications and function as expected based on the literature that
describe them. ICOM made the decision not to fix the R75 design problems
so people that want it to work right have to modify it. I consider the
R75 as described to be false advertising. Cost has nothing to do with
the issue of whether the radio performs as advertised.

I use all three radios with external bookshelf speakers or headphones
because they sound better than the internal ones. The internal speakers
are OK on all three radios.

The improvement an SE-3 would bring to the RX340 would not be worth the
money to me. I donıt know where you got the information on static
crashes sounding worse than on other receivers. I have had no sign
spurious signals around 6 MHz either. All of the radios functions are
not available or even make sense in all modes of operation. All
functions are available and work as advertised. The noise blanker works
against some noise types and not others just like any other radio Iıve
used.

The Drake R8B does not run hot. Warm would be the best description. I
have measured the case temperature to be just a few degrees above room,
which is perfectly normal for a unit with an internal power supply. It
is my understanding that ICOM has made several radios that you canıt
keep your hand on however.

Iım not going to drop $450 - $500 bucks on a radio that I need to hack
for the AGC and sync to work right and I disagree that even after doing
so the radio ³is better² than the Ten-Tec, Drake or AOR receivers that
is just your opinion not based on fact.

These days Iım surprised someone has not sued ICOM.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 1st 04, 07:42 AM
starman

What about a Drake R8B? Cost $1,495, This one have a lot of flaws too,for example the power supply run very hot,[a remedy is to use an external power supply]

The R8(x) transformer runs warmer than some receivers but in no way hot.
I've never heard of any failure of the transformer or associated AC
power supply components. The R75 doesn't have an internal power
transformer. It uses a wall wart, so it's not a fair comparison.

(R8B) ,bassy sound "virtually requieres a outboard speaker" [Passport],

'Passport' was making the point that the R8 requires an external speaker
to fully appreciate it's audio quality but it's not mandatory. IMO- If
any receiver needs an external speaker it's the R75. The OEM speaker
sounds more like a cheap CB radio. The R75 sounds much better with an
external speaker but it's still not as good as an R8, particularly for
program listening.

a cheap mechanical encoder used to have an above -average failure rate [Why not an optical one like in the AOR 7030+]

The original R8 had an optical encoder. Drake says they changed it
because it had problems. Tests by myself and some others on this group
seem to indicate that the factory lubricant in the mechanical encoder is
the problem. After cleaning mine and relubing it with a synthetic
grease, it's been completely reliable for almost two years. I don't know
if Drake has made any changes in the OEM encoder lube in recent models.
The AOR-7030 also had problems with it's tuning encoder in the early
models.

,a lot of birdies and background hiss [from the syntetiser board and some Poor shielding and grounding techniques ect ect ect.....

The early R8B (1997) had more birdies than expected for a receiver in
it's price class. The newer ones (since about 2000) have much fewer
birdies. I had a 97' and now have an 01', so I've heard the difference.

My R75 cost only $450.00 with free DSP included. It have installed 2.4khz,3.3khz,6khz filters,

Those filters are not cheap. Take a look at Universal's website for the
prices.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0175.html

sensitivity mod,339 comparator sync mod,Phidelity mod all this mods
for less than $50.00 and not only "work as advertised" but work better
than a R8B [and others expensive receivers] for dxing.

There is no sync' mod for the R75 that makes it work as well as the
sync' on an R8B.

The Icom R75 does not have QC problems I'm aware of. It does have design
problems and is the reason people have the units modified.

All receivers have design problems.

The design of any receiver is a compromise of cost vs. performance. I
prefer to pay more for a receiver that doesn't need many (if any) mod's,
than to pay less up front and then spend more time and money to get it
working acceptably.

BTW- I guess it was just a matter of time before this subject came
around again. I think it's clear who got it going. This will be my only
reply. I don't care who gets the last word.

Old January 1st 04, 04:00 PM
Kenneth

starman wrote in message ...
What about a Drake R8B? Cost $1,495, This one have a lot of flaws too,for example the power supply run very hot,[a remedy is to use an external power supply]

The R8(x) transformer runs warmer than some receivers but in no way hot.
I've never heard of any failure of the transformer or associated AC
power supply components. The R75 doesn't have an internal power
transformer. It uses a wall wart, so it's not a fair comparison.

It run very hot and you know it and in a past post to this group you
attribute the problem to the "international voltages transformer" and
you wrote that you fix the problem using an external power supply.
(R8B) ,bassy sound "virtually requieres a
outboard speaker" [Passport],

'Passport' was making the point that the R8 requires an external speaker
to fully appreciate it's audio quality but it's not mandatory. IMO- If
any receiver needs an external speaker it's the R75. The OEM speaker
sounds more like a cheap CB radio. The R75 sounds much better with an
external speaker but it's still not as good as an R8, particularly for
program listening.

The R75 external speaker it's not mandatory too.But a lot of owners
are satisfied using only an external speaker with it.It's not a nice
experience to try to do hardcore dxing with the R8B bassy sound and
background hiss from the synthesizer circuit.I read your post asking
Pete for help in this issue.
a cheap mechanical encoder used to have an above -average failure rate [Why not an optical one like in the AOR 7030+]

The original R8 had an optical encoder. Drake says they changed it
because it had problems. Tests by myself and some others on this group
seem to indicate that the factory lubricant in the mechanical encoder is
the problem. After cleaning mine and relubing it with a synthetic
grease, it's been completely reliable for almost two years. I don't know
if Drake has made any changes in the OEM encoder lube in recent models.
The AOR-7030 also had problems with it's tuning encoder in the early
models.

There is not excuse for a $1499 receiver having this cheap encoder.Ask
drake for a pro one like the one in the R-75 and AOR 7030+.
,a lot of birdies and background hiss [from the syntetiser board and some Poor shielding and grounding techniques ect ect ect.....

The early R8B (1997) had more birdies than expected for a receiver in
it's price class. The newer ones (since about 2000) have much fewer
birdies. I had a 97' and now have an 01', so I've heard the difference.

2 week ago I read your posting asking Pete help for the problems with
synthesizer board circuit interaction cause by poor shielding and
grounding techniques.
My R75 cost only $450.00 with free DSP included. It have installed 2.4khz,3.3khz,6khz filters,

Those filters are not cheap. Take a look at Universal's website for the
prices.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0175.html

The 3.3khz filter cost $7.00 and the 6khz $30.00 [from a company
closeout sale] nice filters with very good skirt shape factor.
sensitivity mod,339 comparator sync mod,Phidelity mod all this mods
for less than $50.00 and not only "work as advertised" but work better
than a R8B [and others expensive receivers] for dxing.

There is no sync' mod for the R75 that makes it work as well as the
sync' on an R8B.

All the R-75 with kiwa Sync det mod owners are very happy with its
sync det performance.The difference is that we do the sideband
selecting by hand not aut [using the 2.4khz filter and the twin PBT.]A
shortwave receiver is not only a receiver with a good Sync det[the
R8B sync det is not a perfect one]but a receiver with good
stability,good skirt shape filters[the discontinued drake R7 have
better filter skirts than the R8B [from passport R8B white papers],1hz
tunning steps like the R-75,some DSP feature,good
sensitivity,oustanding SSB mode [like the [R75],exceptional quiet
circuitry [that the R8B don't have], and the most neglected part a
good MW/SW antenna.
The Icom R75 does not have QC problems I'm aware of. It does have design
problems and is the reason people have the units modified.

All receivers have design problems.

The design of any receiver is a compromise of cost vs. performance. I
prefer to pay more for a receiver that doesn't need many (if any) mod's,
than to pay less up front and then spend more time and money to get it
working acceptably.

But the problem is that you paid more for your used R8B and now you
have an expensive receiver that don't have DSP,only one pre-amp [R-75
two],not tune in 1hz increments,not tune up to 60MHZ,cheap mechanical
encoder with high rate record of failure [you are the best witness
because you had an encoder failure],a lot of background hiss and noise
from the synthesizer circuit and "some birdies" a "Kmart" calculator
keypad and tunning Knob and for some of this flaws NOT MOD AVAILABLE.
BTW- I guess it was just a matter of time before this subject came
around again. I think it's clear who got it going. This will be my only
reply. I don't care who gets the last word.

No me, I'm only reacting to someone who think that cost is synonymous
of performance.Maybe someone who read and believe without question
what Passport say about the R8B "It gets everything right"

Old January 1st 04, 04:47 PM
Kenneth

Telamon wrote in message ...
[...]

background hiss [from the synthesizer board and some poor shielding
and grounding techniques ect ect ect.....My R75 cost only $450.00
with free DSP included.It have installed 2.4khz,3.3khz,6khz filters,
Pete's sensitivity mod,339 comparator sync mod,Phidelity mod all this
mods for less than $50.00 and not only "work as advertised" but work
better than a R8B [and others expensive receivers] for hard core dxing.

The Ten Tec RX340, Drake R8B and AOR 7030 perform to their
specifications and function as expected based on the literature that
describe them. ICOM made the decision not to fix the R75 design problems
so people that want it to work right have to modify it. I consider the
R75 as described to be false advertising. Cost has nothing to do with
the issue of whether the radio performs as advertised.

But what about companies like Ten-tec and drake .Ten tec owners are
still waiting for the RX-350 sync det fixing and others flaws
fixing[check the complains in the RX-350 yahoo group].What about the
Ten Tec flaws that you can read in passport to world band? Why they
don't fix then? An now we are talking about a $3,999 receiver.What
about Drake R8b encoders,birdies,synthesizer circuit noise ect
ect,?All companies including Icom make excuses and try to compensate
with more advertizings in shortwave radio guides.But the difference
with Icom is that they decrease the R-75 price form $1,100 to $450.00
or $525.00 and are including a free DSP but Drake and others are
increasing the price of their receiver but they are not raising the
quality standards,.
I use all three radios with external bookshelf speakers or headphones
because they sound better than the internal ones. The internal speakers
are OK on all three radios.

In the R-75 too.But I agree with you that ext speakers sound a lot
better.
The improvement an SE-3 would bring to the RX340 would not be worth the
money to me. I donıt know where you got the information on static
crashes sounding worse than on other receivers. I have had no sign
spurious signals around 6 MHz either. I get the information from passport. All of the radios functions are
not available or even make sense in all modes of operation. All
functions are available and work as advertised. The noise blanker works
against some noise types and not others just like any other radio Iıve
used.

I agree
The Drake R8B does not run hot. Warm would be the best description. I
have measured the case temperature to be just a few degrees above room,
which is perfectly normal for a unit with an internal power supply. It
is my understanding that ICOM has made several radios that you canıt
keep your hand on however.

A lot of R8B owners are using an external power supply now.The
internal "international voltage transformer" and internal power supply
circuit keep generating a lot of heat even if you turn off the
receiver.[I don't read this anywhere I had a R8B sometime ago.]
Iım not going to drop $450 - $500 bucks on a radio that I need to hack
for the AGC and sync to work right and I disagree that even after doing
so the radio ³is better² than the Ten-Tec, Drake or AOR receivers that
is just your opinion not based on fact.

That's your privilege.My oppinion is based in the fact that I tested
both receivers for months and read almost all the reviews available
but I'm not expecting that you like my facts.
These days Iım surprised someone has not sued ICOM.

If the price increase more than $700.00 in the next months I will be
the first.
Old January 1st 04, 05:45 PM
N8KDV

Kenneth wrote:

starman wrote in message ...
What about a Drake R8B? Cost $1,495, This one have a lot of flaws too,for example the power supply run very hot,[a remedy is to use an external power supply]

The R8(x) transformer runs warmer than some receivers but in no way hot.
I've never heard of any failure of the transformer or associated AC
power supply components. The R75 doesn't have an internal power
transformer. It uses a wall wart, so it's not a fair comparison.

It run very hot and you know it

Huh? What the hell do you consider 'very hot'?

Old January 1st 04, 09:56 PM
RHF

STARMAN,

"BTW- I guess it was just a matter of time before this subject
came around again. I think it's clear who got it going. This
will be my only reply. I don't care who gets the last word."

POF - Actually it all re-started when "BH" posted this and
never responded after two requests for details and facts.

* * * * B O M B S - A W A Y * * * *
Bill Hennessy )
Subject: Icom R-75 question
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave