Old January 2nd 04, 10:32 PM
Telamon

In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message
.
..
The Icom R75 does not have QC problems I'm aware of. It does
have design problems and is the reason people have the units
modified.

For example a ten-tec RX-340? This one have some flaws too and
cost $3,950.The sync selectable sideband lose look relatively
easily,Passport recomend an external Sherwood SE-3 [500.00],poor
dynamic range,static crashes sound harsher than on analog
receivers.Spurious signal noted around 6MHZ segment,notch filter
does not work in AM,Sync selectable sideband or ISB modes,Noise
blanker not effective ect, ect, ect,.What about a Drake R8B?
Cost $1,495, This one have a lot of flaws too,for example the
power supply run very hot,[a remedy is to use an external power
supply],bassy sound "virtually requieres a outboard speaker"
[Passport],a cheap mechanical encoder used to have an above
-average failure rate [Why not an optical one like in the AOR
7030+],a lot of birdies and background hiss [from the synthesizer
board and some poor shielding and grounding techniques ect ect
ect.....My R75 cost only $450.00 with free DSP included.It have
installed 2.4khz,3.3khz,6khz filters, Pete's sensitivity mod,339
comparator sync mod,Phidelity mod all this mods for less than
$50.00 and not only "work as advertised" but work better than a
R8B [and others expensive receivers] for hard core dxing.

The Ten Tec RX340, Drake R8B and AOR 7030 perform to their
specifications and function as expected based on the literature
that describe them. ICOM made the decision not to fix the R75
design problems so people that want it to work right have to modify
it. I consider the R75 as described to be false advertising. Cost
has nothing to do with the issue of whether the radio performs as
advertised.

But what about companies like Ten-tec and drake .Ten tec owners are
still waiting for the RX-350 sync det fixing and others flaws
fixing[check the complains in the RX-350 yahoo group].What about the
Ten Tec flaws that you can read in passport to world band? Why they
don't fix then? An now we are talking about a $3,999 receiver.What
about Drake R8b encoders,birdies,synthesizer circuit noise ect
ect,?All companies including Icom make excuses and try to compensate
with more advertizings in shortwave radio guides.But the difference
with Icom is that they decrease the R-75 price form $1,100 to $450.00
or $525.00 and are including a free DSP but Drake and others are
increasing the price of their receiver but they are not raising the
quality standards,.
I use all three radios with external bookshelf speakers or
headphones because they sound better than the internal ones. The
internal speakers are OK on all three radios.

In the R-75 too.But I agree with you that ext speakers sound a lot
better.
The improvement an SE-3 would bring to the RX340 would not be worth
the money to me. I donıt know where you got the information on
static crashes sounding worse than on other receivers. I have had
no sign spurious signals around 6 MHz either.

I get the information from passport.

All of the radios functions are
not available or even make sense in all modes of operation. All
functions are available and work as advertised. The noise blanker
works against some noise types and not others just like any other
radio Iıve used.

I agree
The Drake R8B does not run hot. Warm would be the best description.
I have measured the case temperature to be just a few degrees above
room, which is perfectly normal for a unit with an internal power
supply. It is my understanding that ICOM has made several radios
that you canıt keep your hand on however.

A lot of R8B owners are using an external power supply now.The
internal "international voltage transformer" and internal power
supply circuit keep generating a lot of heat even if you turn off the
receiver.[I don't read this anywhere I had a R8B sometime ago.]
Iım not going to drop $450 - $500 bucks on a radio that I need to
hack for the AGC and sync to work right and I disagree that even
after doing so the radio ³is better² than the Ten-Tec, Drake or AOR
receivers that is just your opinion not based on fact.

That's your privilege.My oppinion is based in the fact that I tested
both receivers for months and read almost all the reviews available
but I'm not expecting that you like my facts.
These days Iım surprised someone has not sued ICOM.

If the price increase more than $700.00 in the next months I will be
the first.

People will only value your opinion depending on how close it resembles
reality.

Donıt worry yourself over whether I like what you post as long as it is
correct.

It is reasonable to differ over wants and needs but specifications or
facts are generally not arguable. If you misunderstand what someone has
wrote and continue to argue some point (several actually) as you have
been doing your credibility will be zero.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 2nd 04, 11:14 PM
Mark Harper

In article , k1c2
@hotmail.com once wrote .......
IMHO: It's the R75's Mods that personalize the radio and endears the
R75 to it's owners.
= = = Telamon
= = = wrote in message

Iım not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that must be modified
to work as advertised.

Why not just simply buy it - and see if you're happy with its performance
?

out of the box, the R-75 receives, and does so very well, its easy to
control, has a very intuitive operating system, and the fact that most of
the fiddly settings are in the menu (where you won't inadvertantly fiddle
with them) means you can use it out the box without reading the manual
(as its default settings are adequate)

the mods are simply to improve its performance, if the user wishes to do
so they're not compulsory - I'm more than happy with my vanilla R-75 -
runs OK for me - I may add the filters, and the DSP at a later date, but
for the moment. it does the job!

Of course - just MHO!

--
Mark
Old January 3rd 04, 12:37 AM
Telamon

= = = wrote in message

Iım not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that must be modified
to work as advertised.

Why not just simply buy it - and see if you're happy with its performance
?

out of the box, the R-75 receives, and does so very well, its easy to
control, has a very intuitive operating system, and the fact that most of
the fiddly settings are in the menu (where you won't inadvertantly fiddle
with them) means you can use it out the box without reading the manual
(as its default settings are adequate)

the mods are simply to improve its performance, if the user wishes to do
so they're not compulsory - I'm more than happy with my vanilla R-75 -
runs OK for me - I may add the filters, and the DSP at a later date, but
for the moment. it does the job!

I'm glad you are happy with the R75 but I have read the manual and I
don't like the way the controls operate and there is the problem that
the AGC and sync circuits that either don't work or have performance
problems that ICOM will not address so I would be relegated to voiding
the warranty by modifying the radio. I would not be happy with an
unmodified R75 as you are.

The R75 has nothing new in the way of features or performance that I
already have with the other radios I own.

I would not call the way the squelch / RF gain knob operates as
intuitive and from reading the manual it seems to me a novice could
easily get the radio in a condition where nothing would be heard from
it or have the sound grossly distorted.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 3rd 04, 03:51 AM
CW

I've finally realized why some people like to bottom post. It's to give
everyone a chance to test there scroll wheel.

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message
.
..

Old January 3rd 04, 08:47 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"CW" wrote:

I've finally realized why some people like to bottom post. It's to give
everyone a chance to test there scroll wheel.

snip

You know better. Kenneth messed up the formatting and I was not going to
spend the time to fix it seeing as Iım already talking to a brick wall
on the R75. With some care taken you would have been able to read the
flow of the conversation top to bottom is the reason.

The result of not following this convention is that other people reading
the thread will not be able to follow who said what and the conversation
between two or more people will not make sense either.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old January 3rd 04, 08:49 AM
RHF

CW,

"I've finally realized why some people like to bottom post.
It's to give everyone a chance to test there scroll wheel."

This is what the "Google Groups - Posting Style Guide" has to say.

Summarize what you are following up.
When you follow up an existing article, Google Groups includes the
full article in quotes, with the cursor at the top of the article.
Tempting though it is to just start typing your message, please STOP
and do two things first. Look at the quoted text and delete parts that
are irrelevant. Then, go to the BOTTOM of the article and start typing
there. Doing this makes it much easier for your readers to get through
your post. They'll have a reminder of the relevant text before your
comment, but won't have to re-read the entire article. And if your
reply appears on a site before the original article does, they'll get
the gist of what you're talking about.
Cite appropriate references.

There Are NO Rights - There Are NO Wrongs - Its All A Matter Of STYLE
!

Most Times I 'post' On Top.

Some Times I 'post' within "=R="

I Seldom 'post' at the Bottom.

pms ~ RHF
= = = Pardon My Style )
..
..
= = = "CW"
= = = wrote in message ...
I've finally realized why some people like to bottom post. It's to give
everyone a chance to test there scroll wheel.

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message
.

..
- - - S N I P - - -
..
..
Old January 3rd 04, 01:05 PM
Kenneth

Telamon wrote in message
.

For example a ten-tec RX-340? This one have some flaws too and
cost $3,950.The sync selectable sideband lose look relatively
easily,Passport recomend an external Sherwood SE-3 [500.00],poor
dynamic range,static crashes sound harsher than on analog
receivers.Spurious signal noted around 6MHZ segment,notch filter
does not work in AM,Sync selectable sideband or ISB modes,Noise
blanker not effective ect, ect, ect,.What about a Drake R8B?
Cost $1,495, This one have a lot of flaws too,for example the
power supply run very hot,[a remedy is to use an external power
supply],bassy sound "virtually requieres a outboard speaker"
[Passport],a cheap mechanical encoder used to have an above
-average failure rate [Why not an optical one like in the AOR
7030+],a lot of birdies and background hiss [from the synthesizer
board and some poor shielding and grounding techniques ect ect
ect..... But what about companies like Ten-tec and drake .Ten tec owners are

[...]

"If you have a glass roof don't throw stones to others".I did the
tests and I did the research looking for others experiences,expert
reviews,an articles and after dozens of e-mails received from others
honest drake and ten tec owners that want to fix their receivers flaws
and not hide the facts [their receivers flaws] under the rug I react
to others postings.If you check the R-75 yahoo group you will see
honest owners sharing the pro and con of the R-75 and in the process
finding the answers and solutions to their radio few problems.The myth
of the perfect receiver without any flaw was found to be false.For
example check the passport reviews and see for yourself all the ten
tec 340 flaws that they found.If for you, passport credibility is zero
thats ok with me,but if you like to go to a group like this posting
about why you don't like the Icom receiver this is your privilege but
don't begin to groan and talk about "zero credibility" if someone
point out your own receiver faults.
Old January 3rd 04, 03:32 PM
Norskie Ned

Subject: Icom R-75 question
From: (Kenneth)
Date: 1/3/2004 7:05 AM Central Standard Time
Telamon wrote in message
.

[...]

What's the frequency Kenneth?

Ya Sure, You Betcha.............
Olaf Tonder Johan Benjaminssen
Brimson, Minnesota
Old January 3rd 04, 09:59 PM
Sel

Telamon wrote:

I'm glad you are happy with the R75 but I have read the manual and I

So, you haven't actually used or owned one? but you are happy to tell
others not to buy!

The R75 has nothing new in the way of features or performance that I
already have with the other radios I own.

And?

I would not call the way the squelch / RF gain knob operates as
intuitive and from reading the manual

See above.

it seems to me a novice could
easily get the radio in a condition where nothing would be heard from
it or have the sound grossly distorted.

This has never happened to me.

It seems to me you qualify for the title of expert. Someone who helps
people go wrong with confidence.

--
Sel ........

Icom R-75 E
Icom PCR-1000
Sangean 909
Sangean 404
Uniden UBC9000XLT
Uniden UBC120XLT

http://sel.enternet.co.nz/weathersat.html

Old January 3rd 04, 11:34 PM
CW

**** on 'em.

om...

= = = wrote in message ...
I've finally realized why some people like to bottom post. It's to give
everyone a chance to test there scroll wheel.

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message