Old January 7th 04, 07:59 AM
HFguy

GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect

I am, like DeWayne, the happy owner of an R75, AND I owned a Drake R8B for
three years. The R8B is an awesome receiver, and the problems you're blowing
all out of proportion are as DeWayne says, minor and infrequent (I never ONCE
had a problem with the encoder or tuning knob)...
I have been following your (Kenneth's) current run of tirades for a few days
now, and don't really know what your point has been all along.

snipped

That was the most sensible reply on this subject that I've ever seen.
Congratulations Linus.

Old January 7th 04, 12:57 PM
Kenneth

"DeWayne" wrote in message ...
"Kenneth" wrote in message
om...

I have an R75 and like it very much, but I have also owned an R8B and loved
it! All of the problems you're magnifying are extremely minor, except for
the encoder. It seems to me that you are bashing the R8B because it's
American made.

Yes R8B flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....receiver "running very
hot" even turned off ect ect....
Drake R8B "extremely minor problems" and you sold it and now have a R-75?
Old January 7th 04, 01:07 PM
N8KDV

Kenneth wrote:

"DeWayne" wrote in message ...
"Kenneth" wrote in message
om...

I have an R75 and like it very much, but I have also owned an R8B and loved
it! All of the problems you're magnifying are extremely minor, except for
the encoder. It seems to me that you are bashing the R8B because it's
American made.

Yes R8B flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....receiver "running very
hot" even turned off ect ect....
Drake R8B "extremely minor problems" and you sold it and now have a R-75?

LOL, ANY problem the R8 series has is INDEED minor when compared to the GLARING flaws in the R75
design...

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"

Old January 7th 04, 01:46 PM
Kenneth

N8KDV wrote in message ...
Kenneth wrote:

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....About the "running very
hot" problem , you did the right thing with adding an external AC
adaptor,Yes,you are learning very fast.

And just when did I ever say I used an external AC adapter with either my
R8 or my R8B?

Check RRS archives.....
As for the modifications to same, has it ever occurred to you, pea brain,
that if the modifications truely, and let me emphasise the word TRUELY,
needed to be performed, then someone would have come up with a way to do
them?

Hey "respetable gentleman","truely" is not the correct word the
correct word is truly.
You 'seem' to know a 'little bit' about
electronics, Yes you are correct here I
don't know "a little bit" about electronics.Everybody know that you
are the "genius" here.
ask the question of why you seem to be so

inclined to perform so many mods
on the R75, and never seem to have done any on the R8B and/or R8 that you
once claim to have owned?

The R8B need a new design not some mods.My suggetions are that they
need to work with grounding and shielding new tehniques [for the
birdies,background hiss and synthesizer phase noise] a pro optical
encoder and better filters with better shape skirt factor [like the
ones in the drake R7], 1hz increments tunning steps,better keypad and
tunning knob and a nide DSP ect ect... not an easy task .
I've used quite a few different receivers in the past. I can tell you from
experience that there's no way I'd trade my Drakes for an R75. Your personal oppinion and I respect it.
used one here long enough And as I've pointed out before, the

gentleman who was kind enough to
bring it here for comparison testing felt the same way I do, and promptly
sold it and bought an R8B. And since then I believe he's purchased an R8.

Yes "the kind misteriously and gentleman R75 man" again.Nice story
for a radio novel.
Old January 7th 04, 01:58 PM
Rick KB1KIL

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Kenneth wrote:

"DeWayne" wrote in message

"Kenneth" wrote in message
[...]

I own 2 Drakes and an Icom R75. I have no complaints about either radio.
I think it's human nature to nit pick, and do the "my radio is better than
yours" argument.
It's been a staple in the ng's and even in the old bbs days when I used to
frequent the FIDO Groups.

--
73's
Rick

Drake R8 & R8B
ICOM R75
Yaesu 7700
Hammarlund SP-600-JX-17

"If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?"

Old January 7th 04, 02:17 PM
N8KDV

Kenneth wrote:

And just when did I ever say I used an external AC adapter with either my
R8 or my R8B?

Check RRS archives.....

I suggest you go find it...

As for the modifications to same, has it ever occurred to you, pea brain,
that if the modifications truely, and let me emphasise the word TRUELY,
needed to be performed, then someone would have come up with a way to do
them?

Hey "respetable gentleman","truely" is not the correct word the
correct word is truly.

You've failed to answer my question.

You 'seem' to know a 'little bit' about
electronics, Yes you are correct here I
don't know "a little bit" about electronics.Everybody know that you
are the "genius" here.
ask the question of why you seem to be so

inclined to perform so many mods
on the R75, and never seem to have done any on the R8B and/or R8 that you
once claim to have owned?

The R8B need a new design not some mods.My suggetions are that they
need to work with grounding and shielding new tehniques [for the
birdies,background hiss and synthesizer phase noise] a pro optical
encoder and better filters with better shape skirt factor [like the
ones in the drake R7], 1hz increments tunning steps,better keypad and
tunning knob and a nide DSP ect ect... not an easy task .

Not an easy task huh? Should be 'easy' for someone with your technical 'prowess'. And still, you've not really answered my question.

Yes "the kind misteriously and gentleman R75 man" again.Nice story
for a radio novel.

Well Kenneth, you're already on your way in writing the fictional "R75-Great Radio" novel...

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"
"Drake, the DXer's choice"
"Drake, when you care to listen with the very best"

Old January 7th 04, 02:49 PM
N8KDV

Kenneth wrote:

Everybody know that you
are the "genius" here.

Certainly not a genius, but perhaps just a little more well versed than you in actually 'using' a radio receiver.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old January 7th 04, 03:04 PM
DeWayne

"Kenneth" wrote in message
om...
"DeWayne" wrote in message

"Kenneth" wrote in message
om...

I have an R75 and like it very much, but I have also owned an R8B and

loved
it! All of the problems you're magnifying are extremely minor, except

for
the encoder. It seems to me that you are bashing the R8B because it's
American made.

Yes R8B flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....receiver "running very
hot" even turned off ect ect....
Drake R8B "extremely minor problems" and you sold it and now have a R-75?

I sold my R8B because I needed the money. Not because I didn't love it
because I did! The R75 is the best choice for the money for me at this time.
I am retired with three members of my family in college. I would LOVE to
have another R8B. Just a note about Icom's encoders. I have been hearing on
the ham bands that they are having a nightmare with the encoders in their
high priced transceivers.

DeWayne

Old January 7th 04, 03:24 PM
Kenneth

(GrtPmpkin32) wrote in message ...

I am, like DeWayne, the happy owner of an R75, AND I owned a Drake R8B for
three years. The R8B is an awesome receiver, and the problems you're blowing
all out of proportion are as DeWayne says, minor and infrequent (I never ONCE
had a problem with the encoder or tuning knob)...

synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy mechanical
encoder with high failure rate,NO DSP,no 1hz tunning steps
increments,K'mart keypad,poor grounding and shielding techniques,not
pro filters[with excellent shape factor skirts selectivity,notch
filter does not tune under 500hz,run very hot even turned off ect ect
If you want to call this "minor" and "infrequent" problems this is your privilege.
now, and don't really know what your point has been all along.

point:All receiver have flaws ALL RECEIVERS ,and
another point is: a moded receiver can surpass in hard core dxing a
most expensive receiver.
Yes, I tend to champion the R75 when
discussing it with fellow (or soon-to-be)
SWL's for its price range, performance, and overall flexibility for most users.

The Drake R8B also has its fair share of detractors, but

unlike your posts
here, they tend to state a few LOGICAL reasons why they don't wish to buy an
R8B, any one of which makes SENSE compared to your 'facts' given

My R8B flaws facts "no give sense" compared with other
logical reasons? I keep with my scientific side by side test facts an
leave the "logic reasoning" to the studious.
Like a few teen-minded

defenders of some dubious radio products

They have the the freedom to
defend their radios, what the problem with that.? you're being
ridiculous, and show it more
with every heated, self-defensive post about differing OPINIONS and
preferences.

I quoted passport,white papers,past post from this
group archives,experts articles,I did the side by side test and for me
your reaction is only a failed intent to sweep the facts under the
rug.
advice I have received and have given others:
Quit looking for black-and-white in radios. It will NEVER exist.

At last you got it;all radios have pro's and flaws."Get everything
right" commercial advertisement is only a nice myth.

Old January 7th 04, 03:39 PM
Kenneth

HFguy wrote in message ...
GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect

I am, like DeWayne, the happy owner of an R75, AND I owned a Drake R8B for
three years. The R8B is an awesome receiver, and the problems you're blowing
all out of proportion are as DeWayne says, minor and infrequent (I never ONCE
had a problem with the encoder or tuning knob)...
I have been following your (Kenneth's) current run of tirades for a few days
now, and don't really know what your point has been all along.

snipped

That was the most sensible reply on this subject that I've ever seen.
Congratulations Linus.

Yes sensible like this one :
Yes, I agree... My R8B is a miserable failure as well. Certain parts of
the HF band are totally useless for weak signal work because of the
birdies spaced every 1.5 kc or so. For just a couple of extra bucks
invested in shielding and separate boards they could have had a nice
clean receiver---but Drake was more interested in the profit margin.

I also had the same argument with Drake concerning the birdies. One
fellow did ask if they were in the amateur band and after I said no he
said that's OK!

Besides the other problems I've been having with the R8B a new one just
surfaced; the audio gain control is getting scratchy causing all manner
of grief when I adjust it---guess I need to replace it (only 2 year old)
along with a bunch of other stuff.
A classic.