Old January 6th 04, 06:20 AM
GrtPmpkin32

I have not installed the DSP yet. Will the DSP make much difference
for AM listening?

Maybe. For my use, when listening to the AM band, most of the time a good loop
antenna or a phased array of antennas does far more for killing noise and
nulling unwanted stations than any DSP could hope to do... BUT... sometimes the
mild (conservative) use of the DSP noise reduction CAN help get rid of the last
bits of unwanted noise after I've done what I can with the antenna and other
settings.
Icom's DSP unit (UT106) also has an automatic notch filter which works very
well, killing whistling and whining which comes from two or more stations
bashing into each other on the same frequency. Without the UT106, the notch
feature is inoperable. But that notch filter on the DSP unit does WONDERS on
crowded amateur and int'l broadcast bands. I use that feature quite a bit, and
it's only available with the UT106 installed.
Bottom line is, if you already have the DSP unit, it's easy to install (no
soldering, just a few turns with a screwdriver) and you might as well have it
there, ready for those times when you DO need it. If you don't already have it
at hand, you may wish to do a good bit of AM listening first, to see if you
need anything more. I'd say install it, or if you're not comfortable doing it
yourself, find someone you trust to do it for you.

Old January 8th 04, 09:12 PM
Soliloquy

(Sara) wrote in
om:

Refer to
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icr75.html and read closely. The
review is actually 3 links long (see the "continue reading" at the bottom
of each page) and would actually consist of:

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icr75.html
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icr75a.html
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icr75b.html

I have the R-75 and the Yaesu FRG-100. Both are very admirable receivers.

Regards.

Article excerpts.

"Although the manual clearly states the DSP and ANF functions work only
in the SSB mode, we note instances on weaker signals where the noise
reduction works to some degree in the AM mode."

"Spot the Difference with the Sync

What is the singular failing of this receiver? In our opinion, there is
virtually no difference between synchronous AM and AM reception. The
synchronous mode includes both sidebands; there is no option to choose
the lower or upper sideband. The Lowe HF-150 synchronous modes and
performance are far superior. We urge that ICOM correct the synchronous
performance in future models and make available a retrofit ROM available
to current customers.

Fortunately all is not lost here. As the receiver's SSB reception is
quite good, in difficult or crowded band conditions, we simply tune in
the appropriate sideband of the desired signal and, if necessary, adjust
the PBT controls."

I just bought a new Icom radio. It seems to be awesome for tuning
around the ham bands in LSB. But when tuning for Shortwave broadcast
programs in AM it doesn't seem as listenable. Do I need to have my
Icom modified? Kiwi mods? Any help appreciated. Please keep it simple.

Sara

PS: I don't solder.

--
Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.
Old January 14th 04, 09:15 AM
Sara

Sara:

- What shortwave Programs on AM
( frequencies & times) are hard to hear?

Actually I like to tune around to see what I can hear. No real
favorites yet. Nothing seems to come in real good.

- Try some external PC speakers;

Will do.

Sara

Harvey

- PS: Does your little brother have trouble at school or has he changed his
name ??

Old January 14th 04, 09:27 AM
Sara

Go to the Icom IC-R75 eGroup on YAHOO!

FWIW: The Kiwa Mods are very good and make the Icom IC-R75 a better
Receiver.

Ok, I guess it's Kiwa not Kiwi. Should I just get all the Kiwa mods? I
listen to 7150 - 7300 in daytime lsb. I want to hear BBC, Radio
Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, maybe some Africans.

Eleven separate Files of specific Modifications for the Icom IC-R75.

IMHO: An using an External Speaker with the Icom IC-R75 is a MUST !

I have a cheap Radio Shack speaker hooked up and that helped A LOT! I
haven't installed the DSP yet. My Icom sounds good in lsb but AM is
just not as clear. Perhaps I don't have something set right? Filter
settings?

The Most Often Recommended External Speakers for the Icom IC-R75. That
were Suggested as working well with the Icom IC-R75 by the Members of
the eGroup.

TIP: Check-Out "Phil's R75 Cookbook" [PhilCook.pdf]
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icomr7...l%27s%20Shack/
In Phil's R75 Cookbook you will find many Helpful Hints on
"How To Get The Best Out Of Your Icom IC-R75".

Yes, I've been reading it. Thank you so much for helping.

Sara

tMr ~ RHF
= = = Thats "MY" Radio! - The Icom IC-R75.

Old January 14th 04, 09:41 AM
Sara

(GrtPmpkin32) wrote in message ...
I have not installed the DSP yet. Will the DSP make much difference
for AM listening?

Maybe. For my use, when listening to the AM band, most of the time a good loop
antenna or a phased array of antennas does far more for killing noise and
nulling unwanted stations than any DSP could hope to do... BUT... sometimes the

I live in an apartment complex and am using a wire to the red antenna
jack, I think. I thought about connecting it to my rain gutter
somehow.

Sara

Old January 14th 04, 12:44 PM
starman

Sara wrote:

[...]

Hi,

The Yahoo-R75 group are the experts on mod's for your radio. They can
advise you on what mod's are most important. I would suggest the AGC and
sync' detector mod's.
BTW- Soldering is easy to learn and it allows you to do all kinds of
things with electronics. You can get a low power soldering kit at Radio
Shack for about $15.00 If you also buy some componants such as an
assortment of resistors (about $3.00) and a basic printed circuit board
kit, you can practice soldering. You should also learn how to -unsolder-
parts for doing a mod'. This requires a few more tools which RS also
has. If you get really good at it, you might be able to do some of the
mod's on your R75! Have fun.

Old January 14th 04, 04:32 PM
GrtPmpkin32

I live in an apartment complex and am using a wire to the red antenna
jack, I think. I thought about connecting it to my rain gutter
somehow.

Hehe, just make sure you remove that antenna from the radio when lightning
approaches!
I only mentioned the larger antenna system/phasing as a personal comparison in
my listening experience, please don't think it was a suggestion for you to go
to the trouble to do the same. The DSP function becomes more attractive when
you are using less of an antenna and have more home/apartment/building 'noise'
than other folks. In your case, you should see more help from the DSP's noise
reduction (if used conservatively) than I do, given our differing antenna
set-ups.
Just take a length of wire, attach a little, metal alligator clip to the
outside end, and clip it to your rain gutter wherever it is the closest or most
convenient. The other end of the wire goes into your red clip input on the
radio. Undo that clip connection if there's any lightning, and throw the lead
outside the window (making sure it's retrievable later, of course).
Linus
Old January 15th 04, 04:09 PM
Kenneth

Soliloquy wrote in message
"Although the manual clearly states the DSP and ANF functions work only
in the SSB mode, we note instances on weaker signals where the noise
reduction works to some degree in the AM mode."

The Owners Manual is wrong the DSP and ANF work ok in the AM mode.
"Spot the Difference with the Sync

What is the singular failing of this receiver? In our opinion, there is
virtually no difference between synchronous AM and AM reception. The
synchronous mode includes both sidebands; there is no option to choose
the lower or upper sideband. This is true in the stock unit but with the kiwa sync det mod you can chose between lower or sideband in sync AM mode manually using the 2.4 stock filter and the PBT.

Ken

Old January 16th 04, 12:42 AM
N8KDV

Kenneth wrote:

Soliloquy wrote in message
"Although the manual clearly states the DSP and ANF functions work only
in the SSB mode,

The Owners Manual is wrong the DSP and ANF work ok in the AM mode.
"Spot the Difference with the Sync

synchronous mode includes both sidebands; there is no option to choose
the lower or upper sideband.

This is true in the stock unit but with the kiwa sync det mod you
can chose between lower or sideband in sync AM mode manually using the
2.4 stock filter and the PBT.

But hey! You can accomplish this in a much handier fashion with the R8B! With a
better sync detector! Plus, you can use any darn filter you want! Just a button
push away! Simplicity!

No mods required! (can you imagine?)

By golly!

Steve