Old January 5th 04, 02:15 AM
Sara

Default Icom IC-R75 Question

I just bought a new Icom radio. It seems to be awesome for tuning
around the ham bands in LSB. But when tuning for Shortwave broadcast
programs in AM it doesn't seem as listenable. Do I need to have my
Icom modified? Kiwi mods? Any help appreciated. Please keep it simple.

Sara

PS: I don't solder.
Old January 5th 04, 03:45 AM
Telamon

In article ,
(Sara) wrote:

I just bought a new Icom radio. It seems to be awesome for tuning
around the ham bands in LSB. But when tuning for Shortwave broadcast
programs in AM it doesn't seem as listenable. Do I need to have my
Icom modified? Kiwi mods? Any help appreciated. Please keep it simple.

If you have Kiwa do the work you don't have to solder.

As you have discovered the R75 is a capable SSB receiver but not so
good for AM broadcasts. There are several modifications you can pay
Kiwa to make on the radio so it will perform better on AM broadcasts.
Here is the link
http://www.kiwa.com/R75.html

Here are some of the upgrades you might consider:

Synchronous Detector Upgrade $45.00 Audio Upgrade $35.00 High Fidelity
Audio Filter Upgrade $35.00

The filter issue is a little tricky with this radio. You will need to
maintain a filter ~ 2.4 to 2.8 KHz for average SSB conditions and you
will need to have one at ~ 4 to 6 KHz for AM high fidelity. In addition
you will need to adjust both pass-band controls so either the upper or
lower sideband is fully in the radios pass-band.

You will void the radios warranty by having it modified.

Get an external bookshelf speaker and / or headphones will also help
the audio fidelity.

There is a Yahoo news groups devoted to this topic by the way.

Good luck with the upgrades.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 5th 04, 11:43 AM
Soames123

Sara:

- What shortwave Programs on AM
( frequencies & times) are hard to hear?

- Try some external PC speakers;

Harvey

- PS: Does your little brother have trouble at school or has he changed his
name ??

Old January 5th 04, 10:08 PM
RHF

SFA,

Go to the Icom IC-R75 eGroup on YAHOO!

There you will get some Helpful Advise and Useful Information
from other Icom IC-R75 Owners.

Half of what you get here will be digs and put downs from those
NewGroup Members who DO NOT LIKE the Icom IC-R75 Receiver.

FWIW: The Kiwa Mods are very good and make the Icom IC-R75 a better
Receiver.
Eleven separate Files of specific Modifications for the Icom IC-R75.

IMHO: An using an External Speaker with the Icom IC-R75 is a MUST !
The Most Often Recommended External Speakers for the Icom IC-R75. That
were Suggested as working well with the Icom IC-R75 by the Members of
the eGroup.

TIP: Check-Out "Phil's R75 Cookbook" [PhilCook.pdf]
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icomr7...l%27s%20Shack/
In Phil's R75 Cookbook you will find many Helpful Hints on
"How To Get The Best Out Of Your Icom IC-R75".

tMr ~ RHF
= = = Thats "MY" Radio! - The Icom IC-R75.
..
..
= = =

Old January 5th 04, 11:57 PM
N8KDV

Kenneth wrote:

I have some more questions,What is the first letter of your little
brother name "S" or "L".Why you start a new tread

It's called a 're-tread' Kenneth. ;-)

Thanks for the clarification, Steve.

No problem, my ICOM loving fellow listener.