Old January 10th 04, 01:38 AM
snow

I got an almost new Sony SW-100s on the Universal Radio web site for $175.
It sells for about $400 new. Though used it was in excellant condition. All
I needed to buy was an adaptor. I figure it would easily go for $275 on
Ebay.
Sanjaya wrote in message
.net...
Yesterday I was thinking about what a great deal I got
on the Radio Shack DX-399 (Sangean ATS-606)
when RS closed them out at $40. I bought 2.

That got me wondering what you consider to be
your "steal of a lifetime". The recent amazon.com
pricing of $150 for the Sony SW-07 comes to mind.

What did you purchase for a great price, or even get
free?

Old January 10th 04, 03:02 AM
Nathan

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 13:09:32 GMT, "Sanjaya"
wrote:

Yesterday I was thinking about what a great deal I got
on the Radio Shack DX-399 (Sangean ATS-606)
when RS closed them out at $40. I bought 2.

That got me wondering what you consider to be
your "steal of a lifetime". The recent amazon.com
pricing of $150 for the Sony SW-07 comes to mind.

What did you purchase for a great price, or even get
free?

About three years ago I purchased a Zenith 15-U-269 in almost mint
condition from a small antique store for $300.00. Best $300.00 I have
ever spent.

Old January 10th 04, 01:37 PM
Jim Douglas

Makes you think that you gotta tell the wife what to do with your sHi$ when
you are gone. It's great that you got the stuff rather that it going to the
dump! Did you get any of the logs that he may of kept?

"kiebassa 20" wrote in message
groups.com...

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
.net...
Yesterday I was thinking about what a great deal I got
on the Radio Shack DX-399 (Sangean ATS-606)
when RS closed them out at $40. I bought 2.

That got me wondering what you consider to be
your "steal of a lifetime". The recent amazon.com
pricing of $150 for the Sony SW-07 comes to mind.

What did you purchase for a great price, or even get
free?

Some ham-op in the neighborhood passed away in 97.

Some months later I met his wife, who was putting
out large folded boxes on the curb the night before
trash night. Slammed on the brakes, backed up into
the driveway and offered to help her "clean out".

She accepted and was glad to get rid of "..all that radio
crap" her husband had filled 1/2 of their basement with.
(She was moving to Florida to live with her relatives
and had to clean out the house as it was sold, she also
didn't care much for her deceased hubby's 'radio
hobby' as she said he would "..tear into the telephone
with his big antenna and wreck TV reception unil
he sprang for cable."

From this chance evening encounter, I scored a Drake SW-8,
one Drake TR4-C's w/speakers, a Kenwood 850,
two Hammerlund HQ-170A's one Clipperton-L
Linear, a nickle-plated Vibroplex Bug and 5 crates of
radio tubes & parts........all for **no charge** except
muscle work and hoisting into my Ford P/U.
(plus a triband beam antenna and tower a week later)

Needless 2 say, I was a very, very, very, happy camper. ; )

Old January 10th 04, 01:42 PM
Caribbean Listener

In Sept, I purchased the Sony ICF SW-77 from the local Sony Store here
in San Juan, PR for $300!!! I posted the bargain on this and another
board and they went fast after stateside residents called and ordered
theirs for an additional $20 shipping and handling fee.
Old January 10th 04, 01:53 PM
Rick KB1KIL

My Hammarlund SP-600-JX-17. I paid nothing for it. In 1980 I aquired a
portable color tv that supposedly didn't work. I brought it home, fixed a
cold solder joint, and it worked fine. My friend wanted the color tv and
offered the Hammerlund, a mint Vinking Ranger, and a few more pieces of
equipment. The only piece I have left is the Hammerlund. A local tech
restored it for me 2 years ago and did a wonderful job.
I've added an outboard product detector and a Hammarlund matching speaker.
--
73's
Rick

Drake R8 R8B
ICOM R75
Yaesu 7700
Hammarlund SP-600-JX-17

Old January 10th 04, 02:15 PM
bob2

:
My Kenwood R-1000 Communication Receiver. I paid almost full retail

price for it, but no matter, the radio has worked great for 20 years
(except for the on/off button I had to replace).

Old January 10th 04, 02:32 PM
Volker Tonn

Sanjaya schrieb:

That got me wondering what you consider to be
your "steal of a lifetime". The recent amazon.com
pricing of $150 for the Sony SW-07 comes to mind.

What did you purchase for a great price, or even get
free?

4 weeks ago I got an IC-PCR1000 with a minor fault on the connector of
the diskriminator output in addition with a discone antenna for EUR 152
shipping included.
The antenna itself sells for EUR 95 new and I gave the antenna away for
EUR 25 plus shipping to another lucky guy as I already had another very
good discone antenna. So I have the PCR1000 for EUR 127 wich is a steal
for this thing. I had a PCR1000 back in 1998/99 but I "killed" the
HF-board when i tried to modify the 2nd IF-stage.... :-(
Got a NRD-525 then in ugly condition because it sat on the shelf in the
livingroom of a smoker and was never used or even touched for years. But
I got it for DM 300 (EUR 154). This was a _r_e_a_l_(!) steal. I gave
this thing a full bath in propylene alcohol and after that it looks and
works like new. I added a MuRata CFJ-K13 (2,4khz) on the AUX and a
CFJ-K8 (1.3khz) on the NARROW position. I replaced the FL2 with a
CFW-455HT (6khz) and shielded the FL1 arrangement. This gave a very
noticeable improvement to the 525.
Lucky as I am I was offered USD100 to ship the spare RF-board (european
version) of the PCR1000 to the US. At the same time I was offered the
RS-232-board to remote control the NRD-525 -I was looking for- from
another guy in the US for USD100.
So I hardly need to touch the knobs on my 525 :-) I have it working in
my basement apartment with an FD-antenna in the huge attic at the 6th
floor. My discone antenna is also sitting in the attic. Also a magnetic
loop antenna with the capacitor driven by remote control. Having a bunch
of cables running through an old chimney wich is out of use from my
apartment to the attic.

Best regards from Berlin/Germany,
Volker

Old January 10th 04, 05:44 PM
snow

I own an Icom 735 that has given me 10 years trouble free listening. It is
a ham radio, but doubles as an excellant, very sensitive receiver. I paid
full price and it was worth it.
I been able to receive many weak signals off this radio, where any of my
portable radios would fail.

Old January 10th 04, 07:08 PM
kiebassa 20

"Jim Douglas" wrote in message
Makes you think that you gotta tell the wife what to do with your sHi$ when
you are gone. It's great that you got the stuff rather that it going to the
dump! Did you get any of the logs that he may of kept?

I have already spelled out in 'legal terms' what
the exact disposition of the radio gear I have
is to be. (plus the wife already knows how to
watch out for the hams who peruse the Obit
postings)

Unfortunatly his logs, along with the manuals
and paper files for the radios were gone 2 weeks
before I arrived, via the "green plastic 10 gallon bag"
inside of the trash can. Can't have everything !

: )

Old January 11th 04, 10:26 AM
starman

Sanjaya wrote in message

Yesterday I was thinking about what a great deal I got
on the Radio Shack DX-399 (Sangean ATS-606)
when RS closed them out at $40. I bought 2.

That got me wondering what you consider to be
your "steal of a lifetime". The recent amazon.com
pricing of $150 for the Sony SW-07 comes to mind.

What did you purchase for a great price, or even get
free?

I guess it would have to be my Hallicrafters-S20R 'Sky Champion'. I
bought it for $15 decades ago. I used that radio more than any other
I've owned since then, which is quite a few radios.