Old January 11th 04, 05:37 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , starman wrote:
I guess it would have to be my Hallicrafters-S20R 'Sky Champion'. I
bought it for $15 decades ago. I used that radio more than any other
I've owned since then, which is quite a few radios.

Mine would have to be two: A Nordmende transistorized shorwave radio
someone smashed and tossed in the trash. I found it and it still worked,
thogh I never could put it back together again. I used it from about
the time I was 11 years old until...

When I was around 17 (1970) someone gave me a Hallicrafters S38B. I did
some "upgrades" to it, adding an isolation transformer, a "hack" to replace
the dial cord, and an early silicon diode noise limiter. Lasted until
I purchased my first "modern" receiver, a Sony ICF-7600 around 1985.

I gave the S38B to a friend of friend who wanted it for listening to the
BBC.

Since then I've owned and sold many receivers, too.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM:

Old January 11th 04, 08:27 PM
c.foster

when i was 10 i got an rca ar-88 (still got it) for free and just last week
i got a drake r8 for free it works great as well.

"pjw" wrote in message
.net...
My drake R8B for $1,199 three years ago.

Paul

Old January 11th 04, 08:56 PM
Gregory L. Dome

SONY SW55 $125 new at the SONY outlet mall in San Marcos, TX

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
.net...
Yesterday I was thinking about what a great deal I got
on the Radio Shack DX-399 (Sangean ATS-606)
when RS closed them out at $40. I bought 2.

That got me wondering what you consider to be
your "steal of a lifetime". The recent amazon.com
pricing of $150 for the Sony SW-07 comes to mind.

What did you purchase for a great price, or even get
free?

Old January 11th 04, 10:05 PM
pjw

Old January 12th 04, 06:47 AM
Peter Maus

What did you purchase for a great price, or even get
free?

My grandfather gave me his Johnson Ranger, and a Hammarlund BC
794 Super Pro.

Bet purchase was an auction. 3 1924-26 Charles Freshman's and
one '26 Sun Model 50 TRF, all for $1.

Found an antique shop in Crete, Illinois with a Halli S-40B
for $10.

But my fave is my Philco model 90 floor model for $37 at an
antique store in Rockford. They said it didn't work.

They were wrong.

heheheh.

Old January 12th 04, 10:05 AM
starman

Leonard Martin wrote:

Hey, I have an S-20R that I haven't turned on yet. What do you like about it?

It's what I *did* like about it at the time. I haven't used it for at
least 20-years. It was my first shortwave receiver with a BFO,
bandspread, noise limiter, flywheel tuning and nice audio. I actually
used it as a test bed for all kinds of mod's, including improving the
high-end (above 15-Mhz) sensitivity and overall selectivity. Best of all
I built a digital frequency display for it. It cost about $100 for the
parts back then! It was a real luxury in those days to have a visual
tuning accuracy of 1-Khz.
I heard more countries on the S-20R than on any receiver since, mainly
because those were my QSL days and I was enthralled by the thrill of the
hunt. I think many SWL's will tell you that they have a fond regard for
their first real communications receiver, even if it now seems like a
dinosaur by today's standards.

Old January 12th 04, 04:12 PM
WetOne

"
What did you purchase for a great price, or even get
free?

About 2 years ago I found a brand spankin new in the box Magnavox
D2999. I paid $2 or $250. The price might not have that great, but for
a radio that hadn't been produced in over 10 years I was happy with
the price. I had keep an eye out for quite some time for that unit. I
think I got the last new unit in existance. The rig is on of my
favorites. I have a penchant for nice portables.

Good reading
John
Old January 12th 04, 08:42 PM
Tracy Fort

Sony crf-v21 from a gov auction for 300 dollars...

Tracy

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:56:40 -0600, "Gregory L. Dome"
wrote:

SONY SW55 $125 new at the SONY outlet mall in San Marcos, TX

k.net...

Old January 13th 04, 01:50 AM
DJ

Is there a price book that lets you know what they are worth?

Old January 13th 04, 02:06 AM
Llgpt

Subject: What's the best SW deal you ever got?

2 pallets consisting of 15 R-390A's and 1 R-390 for $50.00.

Many years ago. All now gone.

Les