Old January 9th 04, 01:09 PM
Sanjaya

Default What's the best SW deal you ever got?

Yesterday I was thinking about what a great deal I got
on the Radio Shack DX-399 (Sangean ATS-606)
when RS closed them out at $40. I bought 2.

That got me wondering what you consider to be
your "steal of a lifetime". The recent amazon.com
pricing of $150 for the Sony SW-07 comes to mind.

What did you purchase for a great price, or even get
free?

Old January 9th 04, 01:51 PM
Rob Mills

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
.net...

What did you purchase for a great price, or even get free?

Purchased at an estate sale a perfect looking (no scratches or worn spots)
working National NC-140 for $1.00. Don't know but suspect the folks holding
the sale thought it didn't work as it requires an external speaker which it
didn't have. I didn't ask if it worked or not and just assumed that due to
the asking price that it didn't. It was short the band switch knob which I
located on the internet. The damn knob cost me more than the radio.
About 30 years ago I walked out of an estate sale with an SP-600 and an
NC-183D for $60.00. The 183D looked almost new and every thing worked great.
The 600 looked a little ragged around the edges but was in great working
condition. RM~

Old January 9th 04, 02:00 PM
Diverd4777

I also got a store model radio Shack DX-399 for ~$ 35;

Already had one, so I Gave it to a freind who does DX'ing at night;

Dan

Old January 9th 04, 03:48 PM
Benjamaniac

Went to an auction about a year ago and bought a Yaesu FRG-7 for
14 bucks. Darn thing is in great shape and it has become my #1 SW receiver.
At this same auction I bought a Hickok 534 tube tester..almost mint
shape...for a buck.
Ben

.net...

Old January 9th 04, 04:31 PM
AbbN

Hi,

I got my Grundig Mini 100PE for nothing (gift). Extraordinary receiver given
it's size and selling price
--

Take Care
Abb N

.net...

Old January 9th 04, 06:21 PM
GrtPmpkin32

What did you purchase for a great price, or even get
free?

About three years ago I acquired the Realistic/RS version of the Sangean
ATS818C (DX398? Is that right?) from the local R.S. store, where I had seen it
languishing on the 'out-for-repairs' shelf down behind the counter for nearly a
year.
Apparently, the RS home office told this store it was unrepairable, and the
store gave the customer credit or his money back or something, but this radio
sat forever with everything it came with.
Anyway, right around Christmastime I was shopping and went into RS for some
things, and curiousity finally got the better of me. The guy told me the
backstory of the radio, and then said I could have it for nothing, just get it
out of his store. I of course had NO problem with that. He went in the back,
got a big box, and cleaned the shelf into the box, and said 'take it all. Happy
Holidays..."
Well, there was the radio, but also a Weller 65w soldering gun, a RS 30w
soldering pencil, and a number of little items, all of which were supposedly in
bad enough shape to get rid of.
Turns out the radio only needed the BFO pot re-attached to the board (the RS
office must have assumed the board was cracked, and replacing the radio was
indeed the easier and cheaper of the choices) but the board was fine. So, after
fixing the pot, I had a brand new-looking, working DX398 for free! Plus, the
soldering gun needed a new tip and some rewiring, but works and looks good as
new. The soldering pencil was in perfect shape.
A good friend who was becoming interested in shortwave got a nice radio from me
that year!
Linus

Old January 9th 04, 08:34 PM
GrtPmpkin32

I believe the ATS818C is the RS Dx-392.

Yeah, that was the other number banging around in my brain. Thanks for the
correction!
Linus
Old January 9th 04, 11:09 PM
kiebassa 20

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
.net...
Yesterday I was thinking about what a great deal I got
on the Radio Shack DX-399 (Sangean ATS-606)
when RS closed them out at $40. I bought 2.

That got me wondering what you consider to be
your "steal of a lifetime". The recent amazon.com
pricing of $150 for the Sony SW-07 comes to mind.

What did you purchase for a great price, or even get
free?

Some ham-op in the neighborhood passed away in 97.

Some months later I met his wife, who was putting
out large folded boxes on the curb the night before
trash night. Slammed on the brakes, backed up into
the driveway and offered to help her "clean out".

She accepted and was glad to get rid of "..all that radio
crap" her husband had filled 1/2 of their basement with.
(She was moving to Florida to live with her relatives
and had to clean out the house as it was sold, she also
didn't care much for her deceased hubby's 'radio
hobby' as she said he would "..tear into the telephone
with his big antenna and wreck TV reception unil
he sprang for cable."

From this chance evening encounter, I scored a Drake SW-8,
one Drake TR4-C's w/speakers, a Kenwood 850,
two Hammerlund HQ-170A's one Clipperton-L
Linear, a nickle-plated Vibroplex Bug and 5 crates of
radio tubes & parts........all for **no charge** except
muscle work and hoisting into my Ford P/U.
(plus a triband beam antenna and tower a week later)

Needless 2 say, I was a very, very, very, happy camper. ; )

Old January 9th 04, 11:33 PM
DeWayne

"kiebassa 20" wrote in message
groups.com...

Some ham-op in the neighborhood passed away in 97.

Some months later I met his wife, who was putting
out large folded boxes on the curb the night before
trash night. Slammed on the brakes, backed up into
the driveway and offered to help her "clean out".

She accepted and was glad to get rid of "..all that radio
crap" her husband had filled 1/2 of their basement with.
(She was moving to Florida to live with her relatives
and had to clean out the house as it was sold, she also
didn't care much for her deceased hubby's 'radio
hobby' as she said he would "..tear into the telephone
with his big antenna and wreck TV reception unil
he sprang for cable."

From this chance evening encounter, I scored a Drake SW-8,
one Drake TR4-C's w/speakers, a Kenwood 850,
two Hammerlund HQ-170A's one Clipperton-L
Linear, a nickle-plated Vibroplex Bug and 5 crates of
radio tubes & parts........all for **no charge** except
muscle work and hoisting into my Ford P/U.
(plus a triband beam antenna and tower a week later)

Needless 2 say, I was a very, very, very, happy camper. ; )

And of course you sold the equipment and gave the widow half the money.

DeWayne