Old January 15th 04, 04:11 AM

Default Kaito KA105

Anyone have a Kaito KA105? I was just surfing around Universal Radio's web
site and found a neat little radio. You can see a picture at:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/3633.html

David
KF6DGN

Old January 15th 04, 10:07 AM
Sanjaya

wrote wrote...
Anyone have a Kaito KA105? I was just surfing around Universal Radio's web
site and found a neat little radio. You can see a picture at:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/3633.html

David
KF6DGN

Hi David. That is the link for another radio. This is the
KA105 link...
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0105.html
I have one.
I like it.. Lot's of features and great battery life.
(53 hours and counting on the first set of AA alkalines)
It is not dual conversion, and regardless of claims that it
"works like dual conversion", I don't think it does.
Yet, I've had only minor imaging and interference. So that
isn't a problem.
It's sensitive and pulls in shortwave stations well. For it's size,
it's got excellent sound from the speaker, and
good stereo FM through the earbuds. When I first started
playing with it I was sort of surprised by the sound from
the speaker.
It has digital tuning with direct entry keypad, 30 presets
divided into 10 each for FM, MW, and SW.
The biggest drawback is the limited coverage in SW.
5.95 MHz to 15.60 MHz. But that's good enough if you
have a full coverage radio also.
You'll want a stand to set the radio on when using it. The
carry strap/tab that acts as a "flip stand", though innovative,
is not practical unless you won't be picking up the radio after
you set it down to listen. The tab drops out and you have to
reposition it if you pick up the radio to adjust the antenna, change
frequencies etc. Universal sells a small stand, and has a picture
of the KA105 resting on it.
I got the KA105 because I wanted small SW radio with digital tuning,
to take to work. I can carry it in my shirt pocket.
It has met or exceeded all my expectations as far as sound and
sensitivity... and the digital tuning is a major plus. That's why
I bought it.

Old January 16th 04, 03:41 AM
LewBob

I just bought a KA105 and find it very acceptable, especially considering
its price tag ($50), tiny size, coverage and digital tuning. The one
complaint I have is that I cannot find a way to set the clock to 12-hour
cycle. It seems to only work on military (24-hour) clock.

I'd buy it again, without a doubt.

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
nk.net...
wrote wrote...

Old January 16th 04, 10:03 AM
Sanjaya

"LewBob" wrote...
I just bought a KA105 and find it very acceptable, especially considering
its price tag ($50), tiny size, coverage and digital tuning. The one
complaint I have is that I cannot find a way to set the clock to 12-hour
cycle. It seems to only work on military (24-hour) clock.

I'd buy it again, without a doubt.

Hi LewBob,

I'd buy it again also. I tried the small analog tuned
radios like the Bell and Howell, and gave them away.

The KA105 uses 24 hour format only for the clocks as
you say, so if someone needs 12 hour they are out of luck
with this radio.

As an update for anyone interested, my battery life test
is up to 60 hours on the first set of AA's. I've used the
speaker at low to moderate volume, except for a short
test of the earbuds and a/c adaptor (probably 5 minutes altogether).
I still haven't seen the low batter icon. I'll post the final
total if anyone wants to know.

Old January 16th 04, 03:09 PM
Nathan

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:11:34 -0800, wrote:

Anyone have a Kaito KA105? I was just surfing around Universal Radio's web
site and found a neat little radio. You can see a picture at:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/3633.html

David
KF6DGN

I purchased the Degen DE105 version from a seller on eBay. The radio
came with all the labels in Chinese and the operating manual in
Chinese. Being unable to read Chinese, I can not figure out some of
the functions. Does anyone know where I can find an English language
version of the manual. Where I might be able to download one. I went
to the DEGEN site and I do not see one available. Can anyone tell me
how to set the time and use the memory presets?

Thanks

Old January 16th 04, 03:53 PM
Rob Mills

"Nathan" wrote in message

Can anyone tell me how to set the time and use the memory presets?

Guess if worse comes to worse you could always take your manual and go have
lunch at Egg Roll Express and see if maybe the cook would translate it for
you. RM~

PS, sounds like some of the deals I get into.

Old January 16th 04, 08:24 PM
Sanjaya

"Nathan" wrote:
I purchased the Degen DE105 version from a seller on eBay. The radio
came with all the labels in Chinese and the operating manual in
Chinese. Being unable to read Chinese, I can not figure out some of
the functions. Does anyone know where I can find an English language
version of the manual. Where I might be able to download one. I went
to the DEGEN site and I do not see one available. Can anyone tell me
how to set the time and use the memory presets?

Thanks

If the email above (minus the spam trap) is correct, check your mail.
I sent you info on how to use the 105.

Old January 17th 04, 12:10 AM
Nathan

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:24:51 GMT, "Sanjaya"
wrote:

"Nathan" wrote:
I purchased the Degen DE105 version from a seller on eBay. The radio
came with all the labels in Chinese and the operating manual in
Chinese. Being unable to read Chinese, I can not figure out some of
the functions. Does anyone know where I can find an English language
version of the manual. Where I might be able to download one. I went
to the DEGEN site and I do not see one available. Can anyone tell me
how to set the time and use the memory presets?

Thanks

If the email above (minus the spam trap) is correct, check your mail.
I sent you info on how to use the 105.

My real id is

Thanks for you help.

Old January 17th 04, 01:29 AM
Sanjaya

Ok Nathan. I resent it, take a look : )

Old January 17th 04, 03:53 AM
Nathan

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 01:29:47 GMT, "Sanjaya"
wrote:

Ok Nathan. I resent it, take a look : )

Thanks for the information. It was a great help. Even though the radio
labels and owners manual are in Chinese, for $24.00 it's still a great
deal.

Thanks again

Kaito KA-1102 comments Frank Shortwave 5 January 21st 04 08:40 PM
Kaito KA008 4-way power special price Sanjaya Shortwave 0 January 11th 04 10:06 AM
Kaito WRX-911 quality control issues? Kevin Croxen Shortwave 16 December 9th 03 04:13 PM
Kaito WRX-911 quality control issues? reliccastiron General 1 December 4th 03 11:01 PM
Kaito KA1102 arrived today Michael Shortwave 9 November 22nd 03 04:31 PM