Old January 26th 04, 01:17 PM
RHF

MK,

Good Ideas... But You are thinking with your Amateur/HAM Hat On.

Think like a SWLer who whats a Receive ONLY Antenna that will
work well for all directions on All Bands from 500kHz to 30 MHz.

The Dipole is a Great Frequency Specific Directional Antenna
for use by Amateurs/HAMs for Transmitting.

IMHO: The Random Wire Antenna configured as an Inverted "L"
Antenna using the Low Noise design concepts as popularized by
the writings of John Doty. Would serve a SWLer better for a
Receive ONLY SWL Antenna.

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (Mark Keith)
= = = wrote in message . com...
"JEFF UK" wrote in message ...
Just wondering...........

What would be best for my next receiving antenna.

1) A long wire , coax feed (no balun ) about 80 feet,
( earthed coax braid)
15mtrs from house.

or

2) A Long dipole, about 80 feet each side.

Noisy here at times.

What do you reckon?

Best Regards

Jeff

I'd rather have the dipole I think, but it really doesn't have to be
that large to work well. Would be nice for the lower bands though.
Overall, the dipole will probably give you the best s/n ratios being
it's usually fairly easy to decouple. I'd use a good 1:1 balun or a
coax choke or ferrite beads. If you used a 160 ft 1/2 wave dipole, it
would be resonant at 5.8 mhz as a half wave. 11.6 mhz as two half
waves in phase which is a hi-z feed. About 17.4 mhz as a 1.5 wl
dipole, which is a low Z feed. Other bands will vary... It would work
pretty well on most all the higher bands. The pattern on the upper hf
bands would be multi lobed, and fairly omnidirectional overall. The
mismatch using coax to feed one of these is not worth worrying about
for receiving. The coax loss on any HF band is not enough to lower the
s/n ratio. Not even close unless you have a dead radio or dead coax.
All bands will still have plenty of signal level. But you could use
twin lead and a tuner if you were worried about feedline loss. Another
advantage to the dipole, is you then really have three antennas. The
dipole fed normally. Or you could feed one conducter, "usually the
center pin, by unscrewing the shield and letting ground float" as a
random wire. Or you can tie the center pin to shield at the shack ,
and feed as a single conductor T vertical. Good for 160m, MW, LW,
etc..Myself, I parallel dipoles on the same feedline. Right now, I
have a 80m turnstile, and a 40 dipole on the same coax feed. It's a
good SWL antenna anywhere in the HF spectrum. Sometimes I have
80/40/20. Sometimes 160/80/40. Just depends on the time of the year,
and what I'm working the most. I didn't use a 160 dipole this year, as
I usually prefer my top loaded vertical.
MK

..
Old January 26th 04, 01:40 PM
RHF

LW,

Windom -vice- Dipole which is the better SWL Antenna ? ? ?

FWIW: Think of the WINDOM Antenna as an OFF-Center (36%/64%) Feed
Dipole that is more Broad Banded (not as frequency specific and
resonant) and more omni-directional (not as bi-directional) as the
common dipole antenna.

IMHO: For a SWL Antenna the WINDOM Antenna is the better "All
Band" "All Directions" antenna choice over the common dipole antenna.

CHECK-OUT - The SWL Terminated-Folded-Windom "TFW" Antenna
(Low Noise) using a 300 Ohm Twin-Lead or 450 Ohm Ladder-Line
and a Matching Transformer with Coax Cable Lead-in-Line.
TFW-Antenna= http://tinyurl.com/3ff7g

CHECK-OUT - Double LL Windom Type [Low Noise] SWL Antenna -
NOTE: Not a True Windom but more like Two Oposed Inverted L Antennas.
Double-LL-Antenna= http://tinyurl.com/26h2t

CHECK-OUT - Dual Element Low Noise SWL Antenna MLB Type:
Dual Element (Inverted "L" and Horizontal) Multi-Wire Low Noise
SWL Antenna using a Matching Transformer (Magnetic Longwire Balun)
with a Coax Cable Lead-in-Line.
Dual-Element-Antenna= http://tinyurl.com/2yo3q

iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night... You Can Hear Forever and Beyond !
..
..
= = = (LW)
= = = wrote in message . com...

"JEFF UK" wrote ...

What would be best for my next receiving antenna.
1) A long wire , coax feed (no balun ) about 80 feet,
( earthed coax braid)
15mtrs from house.
or
2) A Long dipole, about 80 feet each side.

A good performer is an off-center fed dipole. 44 ft on one end /
22 ft on the other, fed with RG-8X coax. Being coax fed, it keeps
out a lot of the indoor electrical noise from dimmers, flourescent
lights, etc. Grove sells this antenna as the "Skywire". I've also
used a 66 ft / 33 ft variation of this with very good results.
The higher the better.

A passive tuener or passive preselector might be a good accessory
with this antenna.

(Disclaimer - an antenna of this type and size *might* overload
some portable radios.)

..
Old January 26th 04, 10:31 PM
CW

The true Windom is not a dipole of any type. It is an off center fed T. It
is not balanced and requires a ground system.

om...

.
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night... You Can Hear Forever and Beyond !
.
.
= = = (LW)
= = = wrote in message

. com...

"JEFF UK" wrote ...

Old January 27th 04, 04:56 AM
RHF

CW,

Thank you for pointing that out.

YES - You are right and the first Three of the Eleven Links in
this Message Reference that I provided in the prior post are
related to the 'true' {original} Windom Antenna.

"Windom -vice- Dipole which is the better SWL Antenna ? ? ?"
GOTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...nna/message/80

* The Fourth Link by L. B. Cebik, [W4RNL] and concerns the
evolution of the Windom into the "Off-Center-Fed (OFC) Dipole".

* The Fifth Link is again about the OCF Dipole
- by Bill Buchholz [K8SYH].

* The Sixth Link is about a modern day Windom using a MLB
- by G. E. "Buck" Rogers Sr; [K4ABT].

* Link # 7 is by Michael Toia [K3MT].

* The Classic Windom is Link # 8 provided by Antennas & More.

* The CAROLINA WINDOM Short Antenna is Link # 9.
(AKA: Bobtail Curtain or Half Square).

* The RF Systems Mini-Windom is Link # 10
- presented by Universal-Radio.

* Finally Link #11 is What Makes the CAROLINA WINDOM so good ?

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "CW"

"RHF" wrote in message
[...]

= = = wrote in message

. com...

"JEFF UK" wrote ...

Old January 27th 04, 05:51 PM
CW

No ofense intended but I never look at any of the links you provide. It's
almost always Yahoo. Many people, including me, will not have anything to do
with Yahoo.

om...

"RHF" wrote in message
[...]

= = = wrote in message

. com...

"JEFF UK" wrote ...

Old January 28th 04, 02:55 AM
RHF

CW,

I can understand and accept what you have said "CW".

You Have Not Offened Me - YAHOO Is What It Is.

If there were a "Google.Rec.Radio.Shortwave.ANTENNAS" that was
MODERATED: Then I would Post there; but alas there is not.

So, the "Shortwave SWL Antenna and AM & FM Antennas eGroup on YAHOO !
For now is the place for My Antennas WEBLOG. (Me Just Being Me )

Something I remember from many years ago in my MLM days:
Some Do !
Some Don't !
Some Will !
Some Won't !
So What... Who Is Next !
TBL: It is Nothing Personal - It is Just Business.

iane ~ RHF
..

"RHF" wrote in message
[...]

= = = wrote in message