Old February 22nd 04, 12:12 AM
RHF

MWB,

Although I would disagree with you on your 'personal' assessment
of the Grundig Satellit 800 M and the Icom IC-R75 (R-75 ).

This is one of those YMMV type of things based upon individual
listening habits and location.

I have both the Grundig Satellit 800 M and the Icom IC-R75 (R-75 )
- But, I do not run them side-by-side.

* For 'me' the of the Grundig Satellit 800 M is my "Kitchen Radio"
and "Gets Listened To" more then most of my other radios.

* The Icom IC-R75 (R-75 ) is located in one of two positions
in my shack and "Gets Listened AT".

MWB - "Just my two cents." is this not 'compressing' the Truth.
Everyone 'knows' that a Man of Your Education and Intelligence
has more than Two Cent to "Contribute" to any Discussion.
[ OBTW: I Am Not Calling You A Liar :]

Just for the Fun of It ~ RHF
..
..
= = = ospam (Michael Bryant)
From: David

No, it's not just as good for program listening. The sync detector
makes AM DX much more listenable on the S-800.

The sync detector on the S800 also increases the noise floor. You are right
that the sync lock (combined with a much better speaker) on the S800 does make
listening to the very strongest stations much better, But if you're trying to
listen to a weaker-than-superpower station the combined effects of AC hum,
digital hash, and noise from the sync can be real disappointing.

I've operated the R75 and the SAT800 side-by-side for almost two years. I don't
have any problem listening to broadcast stations on the R75 in either SSB or
AM. If tuning AM, detune (up or down) about 1.2 kHz to fine the "sweet" spot in
AM narrow. Headphones or external speakers improve the audio even more.

I really think my Sony SW-77 is a better radio than the SAT800.

I know a lot of people think differently. I know that there are probably people
that will simply respond calling me a liar. They call me that no matter what I
say.

But I know what I like and I'm not thrilled about the SAT800. I might even put
a 7600GR with good external speakers above a SAT800.

Just my two cents.

Michael Bryant, WA4009SWL
Louisville, KY
R75, S800, RX320, SW77, ICF2010K,
DX398, 7600G, 6800W, RF2200, 7600A
GE SRll, Pro-2006, Pro-2010, Pro-76
(remove "nojunk" to reply)

..
Old February 22nd 04, 12:36 AM
Tony Meloche

Mark Keith wrote:

DEE wrote in message ...
Ok, I've got enought for either the R75 or the Sat800. They're
both about the same price. I'm not too concerned about portability
but looking for a great all around box for the money.

All around box? The R-75 if it were me. Good enough for BC, but good
at the other modes also.
IE: SSB, CW, etc...Also, I agree with one, the Drake R-8 is worthy of
a look.
It covers all the bases fairly well also. MK

I have had the opportunity to use both the Drake R8B and the Icom
R-75 before buying. For *me* personally (trying to be as objective as I
could,) I thought the Drake was the better of the two, but (and again,
for *me* personally,) the ways *I* use a receiver, the Icom was 95% of
the Drake - at one-third the cost. I bought the Icom - I have not
regretted it for a moment.

Tony

Old February 22nd 04, 02:08 AM
Jim Hackett

I also own both and find the Sat800's lack of a notch filter puts it way
behind the R75 in digging out weak distorted signals...

Old February 22nd 04, 03:14 PM
starman

Tony Meloche wrote:

I have had the opportunity to use both the Drake R8B and the Icom
R-75 before buying. For *me* personally (trying to be as objective as I
could,) I thought the Drake was the better of the two, but (and again,
for *me* personally,) the ways *I* use a receiver, the Icom was 95% of
the Drake - at one-third the cost. I bought the Icom - I have not
regretted it for a moment.

Have you done any mod's to the R75?