Old February 25th 04, 04:41 AM
Dxluver

You make it sound very interesting and my
finger has been twitching towards eBay! At that price, its SAF
(spousal acceptance factor) is a non-issue too.

Hey T Early, I spoke with someone and hopefully this weekend I'll do (as he
said he did) a 'side to side' test with the 398.

Now my 398 is stick and run to a sloper or a buttload of wire, all I gotta do
it throw a switch. I run mine on rechargeables, and we be 'joyed' to unplug
the external and sit it on the lazt susan with that old nasty looking GE P-780.
..http://www.transistor.org/collection/ge/ge14.html

http://www.transistor.org/feature/jutson/feature.html

or imo, this is the best one.
http://www.transistor.org/feature/jutson/details.html

Old February 25th 04, 04:45 AM
Dxluver

But there
are some aspects of its performance, under difficult conditions, that a
"better" receiver may do better with. My two cents'worth.

*FINALLY*........I was about ready to throw out my fifteen plus radios and just
go get this piece, sounds like it'ss THE radio to have. I wonder how it
stacks up to the Drake? ;-) Steve? You there? LOL
Old February 25th 04, 12:55 PM
Mike S.

In article ,
Al Patrick wrote:

T. Early wrote:

As something of a DX-398 buff, I have to ask where you think the
compromises are in the Degan? Or is it that rare product that really
does transcend its cost? You make it sound very interesting and my
finger has been twitching towards eBay! At that price, its SAF
(spousal acceptance factor) is a non-issue too.

Since this is newer than the three units he compared it with could it be
that the difference is in circuit integration? He mentioned it weighing
less also. Combining more IC's might make it a bit lighter and perhaps
more battery efficient as well.

Newer, thinner IC technology; i.e. micron thickness?

Thinner plastic, smaller magnet in speaker ....I don't think IC's weigh
all that much.

Old February 25th 04, 02:50 PM
Diverd4777

In article , "Corbin Ray"
writes:

On SW, the Degen blew away my 398!

Not in a 1 -1 test with an external antenna I bet.
They probably jiggered sensitivity on the Degen 1102
at the expense of selectivity;

- So, my guess is that, even though it's very sensitive on the whip,
there will be more overloads,

Oh quit it Corbin....lol...why don't you start a yahoo group on your new
piece
and see how many join. I'm sorry, this one is the hardest for me to
believe.
Anyone else? Is this even 'remotely' possible. I've got a log book my
friend
has just from my DX398 that hasn't even been modded yet (it will be) just so
he
can see if he can catch the same stations and countries as I have)....I know
live out in an RF free environment but still. I need another coffee now.
;-)

Listening to radio through my computer made no sense at all.
It's no different than listening to a real audio stream.

Agree.. Shortwave is better.. I can pick it up anywhere..

_ Except for Music shows ( Tasha) on Friday & John Lightning on Sunday Nights

( Where the Internet conection usually fails ! ! )

Old February 26th 04, 12:34 AM
Stinger

Well said Corbin!

I think you expressed the sentiments of many of us that love radio and
radios.

-- Stinger

"Corbin Ray" wrote in message
I'm still enjoying my new little friend.

You have to understand what I am about. I was born in 1958 here in

Kentucky.
I grew up listening to local radio until 1972 when a friend introduced me

nighttime radio (WLS, WOWO, WCFL, WAKY, WLAC...) and my whole world

changed.
The radio became a magical place where I could get away from the doldrums

of
the boring stuff around me and escape to wherever those magical voices

were.
I imagined myself being in everyone of those places. Our internet today

was
like my radio then, but my radio had better pictures. Of course, my first
job was as a DJ at a local station. I worked in radio many years,

eventually
managing a group of top-rated stations. I'm now out of the radio business,
but I can never get radio out of me. When I go to bed at night, I cuddle
with my radio (my wife cuddles with a TV, but that's another story). And

if
conditions permit, I tune my radio around the AM band just like I did 30
years ago. To me, the perfect radio has nothing sticking out of it. I have
owned expensive desktop radios, but they have to be plugged into the wall
and to a bunch of antennas. I even had a computer-controlled radio. That

was
even worse. Listening to radio through my computer made no sense at all.
It's no different than listening to a real audio stream. No thanks. A
wireless radio was sufficient for me in 1972, and a wireless radio is
sufficient for me today. And sometimes late at night, when I hear the
announcer on WLS say that the outbound Dan Ryan is 15 minutes to O'Hare,
then I feel like I'm 14 again, and the magic of radio is still in me.

Old February 26th 04, 01:08 AM
Pierre L

I feel exactly the same about radio. I guess I haven't been without some
kind of small transistor radio since I was 11. I'm 50 now, and I still like
'em. I was never in the radio business, but it started with local AM radio
listening in the late 1950's. Then came listening to stations at night from
Boston, New York and Detroit (mostly). As a teenager, the first time I got
paid for actual work I stopped at a little radio shop downtown and came home
with a pocket-sized Telefunken that had the names of European cities on the
dial. Later came a Grundig Elite Boy, and then some Sonys. I too listened to
internet radio for a while, but it's just not the same. I watch TV, but late
at night, it's a radio I like - one that's small enough to be in whatever
room I'm in, and that doesn't absolutely have to be connected to an antenna
or to the wall. To me, listening to a distant radio station makes me feel
like being there. It's exciting, and it's like walking - it's free, in the
air for the taking. For that reason, I really don't get much of a kick from
international broadcasts that are relayed. I want to hear them from where
they are. Of course, I wouldn't mind a nice communications receiver if I
could ever afford one - but not one that runs on the computer.
Pierre

Old February 26th 04, 09:32 PM
Corbin Ray

It's nice to see there's other people who think radio listening is fun. When
I was heavily into DXing, it became an obsession and I burned out quickly.
When I worked in radio, listening became a job. But now that I can sit back
and just listen for fun, I'm having a blast again. Kinda like my second
childhood.

Oh, about the 1102, it's still cranking out the hits. And last night, I
ordered another one for a friend who's down on his luck right now. He lost
his job, his wife is sick, and he's got a birthday next week. So I figured
he needs to get a new Degen in the mail from some Chinese person (Liypn's
sending it straight to him with no hint who paid for it). Everybody needs a
new Degen 1102!

Old February 26th 04, 09:37 PM
Sanjaya

"Corbin Ray" wrote...
It's nice to see there's other people who think radio listening is fun. When
I was heavily into DXing, it became an obsession and I burned out quickly.
When I worked in radio, listening became a job. But now that I can sit back
and just listen for fun, I'm having a blast again. Kinda like my second
childhood.

Oh, about the 1102, it's still cranking out the hits. And last night, I
ordered another one for a friend who's down on his luck right now. He lost
his job, his wife is sick, and he's got a birthday next week. So I figured
he needs to get a new Degen in the mail from some Chinese person (Liypn's
sending it straight to him with no hint who paid for it). Everybody needs a
new Degen 1102!

That's a wonderful thing to do for your friend.
God bless you... and him.

Liypn is a great seller, and your post gives even more evidence
of that fact. I'm thinking of getting another DE1102 myself. They
are scarce on eBay now though. Apparently someone is buying them
for his friends : )

Best wishes to you.

Old February 26th 04, 09:52 PM
Newsgroup Lurker

I bought one of his last listings and its still in shipping. I was worried
about the wall power but what the 7734.

I wish I would've know someone was giving them away!

Good on ya Corbin

Old February 26th 04, 11:01 PM
Diverd4777

In article , "Corbin Ray"
writes:

Oh, about the 1102, it's still cranking out the hits. And last night, I
ordered another one for a friend who's down on his luck right now. He lost
his job, his wife is sick, and he's got a birthday next week. So I figured
he needs to get a new Degen in the mail from some Chinese person (Liypn's
sending it straight to him with no hint who paid for it). Everybody needs a
new Degen 1102!

Right. Everyone needs a new Degen 1102

* * * - And a freind like You.. ! * * *

Thanks for doing this, Ray, You make it a better world for all of us;

( & tell him Happy Birthday ! ! ! )

Dan

Degen 1102 arrived Sanjaya Shortwave 34 February 26th 04 02:44 AM
SSB on KAITO 1102 or DEGEN 1102 Kevin Hillegas Shortwave 1 February 6th 04 06:33 AM
review for Degen 1102 Zackie Liang Shortwave 3 January 5th 04 02:16 PM
Kaito KA1102 arrived today Michael Shortwave 9 November 22nd 03 04:31 PM
New KA1101 arrived today Michael Shortwave 0 October 21st 03 12:24 AM