Old March 6th 04, 10:49 AM
CW

Coiled up is the best way.

"Dxluver" wrote in message
Question:That audio cable that I use for my external antenna 'sleeve' is a

lot
longer than I need so I circled the majority of it up and put a swatch of

tape
on it. This won't cause a problem will it? Having it wrapped like that.
Should I untape it and just let it hang? I mean, no one will see it or
anything, I just thought it'd be a little neater. {?}

Old March 5th 04, 05:44 PM

you know what,, screw off, wow you found what you needed!!!!

i worked at the shack to pay my way through college for five years and hated
dealing with customers who couldnt find what they were looking for or even
knew what it was they were looking for. it is not our job to find a magic
piece for you. you apparenlty knew what you needed so why bother the
employees, just let them ring you up

hehe. although i would love to chat wth someone about SWl , etc, i know i
have to make money, so i might even give someone the cold shoulder to go
help a cell phone. hehe you could ask anyone i worked with, i did not push
phones on people, never. if you knew the pay structure you would do the
same. many times idodnt do this and got stuck with a $5 sale instead of
something that could of made me more money.

anyway you shoud of just got an 3.5mm male plug, to a small piece of coax
(RG-174) or even bought the one they sell, and solder the loose ends to what
ever connector you wanted . i did this for my AM loop antenna they closed
out and it works like a champ. i hook it up to my FT-817 and it has the best
BCB reception

dont rip on the shack employees for your short comings. if you have to
complain about them you are just to frustrated with what you needs are, so
yes let them sell phones and make more money than selling $10.94 worth of
connectors, and then you trying to explain to them about radio.

just my honest opinion, now lets see who flames me

-steve, former Shacker

"Dxluver" wrote in message
Well, I've posted my dilema on what I've been looking for but never got

an
answer, or at least one I could take in there so I decided today I WAS

coming
out of any rat shack with what I needed.......if I had to go to five of

them,
I was.

My two problems:
I needed an adapter or 'sleeve' to consistently keep plugged into my

external
antenna jack on my DX398. You'd swear I was speaking another language.

After
I spoke s-l-o-w-l-y- for the third time and still saw the constipated

looks on
the two faces in there I told them....."guys, go on and take care of the

other
customers, there was FIVE standing there with their new (I suppose)

picture
cell phones and they were pressing in codes. {?} That's what it looked

like.
Every now and then one of them would break away from the desk and go to

an
aisle I was in like I was a potential thief or something.

I know a thief can be anyone, but I'm professional and clean cut and

after the
FOURTH time of being watched 'kind words' from me were asked to them in

the
form of "I'm not gonna rip you off, then preceded to reach in my pocket

and
whip out a stack of bills, that got them to leave me alone (I think.) ;-)

But for anyone else that needs or wants to correct the problem I had, the

cat#
(that I kept asking for in here to no avail BTW;-) ) is #4202472 for the
adapter or actually a 'sleeve' so you can plug and unplug your antenna

without
wearing out your board.

The other problem was with my phones (head phones) my Optimus Pro 40

plugs
into an adapter and I was afraid (because it would have) put a strain on

the
headphone chord from being bent at an angle all the time or would have

strained
the board. So I found a 'stereo to stereo Right angle'.....so now I have

that
new piece plugged in and the other adapter into it....followed by the
headphones plug itself plugged into that. No more strains on any of those
jacks or the board and now I can always unplug my external antenna (like
everyone should) without worrying if it'd be the last time before the jack
would loosen or the board would crack.

Both of them work beautifully and I'm a happy camper, and those workers

are
ding dong heads. ;-)

Old March 5th 04, 06:54 PM
GrtPmpkin32

i worked at the shack to pay my way through college

Good for you, more people ought to have that drive.

and hated
dealing with customers who couldnt find what they were looking for or even
knew what it was they were looking for.

Hey, no one put a gun to your head and forced you to work at R.S., or anywhere
else for that matter. There are ALWAYS a fair amount of customers who haven't
the slightest clue if they're even in the right store, let alone know exactly
what they need. That's WHY there are basic rules of conduct and assistance in
the retail business, which, unfortunately, you didn't feel the need to
exercise. Be bitter about having to deal with 'idiots', but don't take it out
on the very base which supported your paycheck and got you through college.

it is not our job to find a magic
piece for you

Actually, it is, if you want to stay in business. R.S.'s own advertising and
marketing attitudes claim exactly that.

you apparenlty knew what you needed so why bother the
employees, just let them ring you up

There's the right attitude about retail and customer service... 'Don't bother
the help'... hell, why not just get rid of the employees and let the customer
find their stuff and ring it up themselves? OH, wait, then you wouldn't have
had anywhere to work through college...

so i might even give someone the cold shoulder to go
help a cell phone

Glad I never visited your store. You'd have been taken to task.

dont rip on the shack employees for your short comings.

When someone is supposed to know what they sell, and they don't know what they
sell, it is hardly a shortcoming of the customer. I had an R.S. employee tell
me (when I didn't even ask him about it, was just looking through the
headphones shelf) that simple walkman headphones wouldn't work with the output
from a portable MP3/CD player, because the phones 'were the wrong megahertz'...
and this guy was a manager.
And when an employee INTENTIONALLY ignores a customer who may not give them a
bigger sale, THAT also is a shortcoming of the employee's personal attitude,
and if defended or never questioned by the employer, then it's the employer's
shortcoming as well. The customer's knowledge or lack thereof has nothing to do
with ****ty service.
Not every R.S. store is that bad, some are terrific, most are average. And the
FACT is that the AVERAGE R.S. store couldn't care less about the customer who's
looking for less than $10 of merchandise. Disagree? Let's see what you wrote:

let them sell phones and make more money than selling $10.94 worth of
connectors

Yep, just like the sour looks one may get asking for a ketchup packet from the
girl across the counter at a fast food place. Just because you're bitter about
being there doesn't mean the customer's being an idiot, it just means you feel
like the world owes you more than you're getting.
Right.
Most other franchise-retail stores I frequent aren't even CLOSE to the level of
ignorance about their products and shameless disregard for their customers, as
your average R.S. store. I still shop there when needed, of course, and RARELY
if ever approach the employees, not because I'm afraid of 'bothering them' (no,
Heaven forbid I enlist the services of a paid employee during business hours...
I mean, let's not actually ask someone to DO the friggin' JOB they're paid to
do, right?) but because they never have a satisfactory answer if I have a
question.
For a store which markets themselves as 'Having Answers', they fail miserably,
ON AVERAGE.
Lord help us if you work retail again. Let us know which store so we can stay
the hell away.
Linus

Old March 5th 04, 08:00 PM
CW

Hey Linus, you were right, the twit was wrong. He demonstrated an attitude
that is becoming increasingly prevalent. He seemed to think that he was
doing you a favor by allowing you to shop there. This is happening a lot
lately and more people need to raise hell about it. Without the customer,
they're nothing. I think Radio Shack's days are numbered anyway. As they
drop more and more of the radio and parts lines that made them unique, they
have to compete with other (and better) stores for cell phones and satellite
TV sales.

Old March 6th 04, 09:07 AM
Dxluver

Lord help us if you work retail again. Let us know which store so we can stay
the hell away.

Good post Linus. When I realized they weren't going to help (even though I am
pointing at the radio in my hand) and went to get it myself, I was followed
like a shoplifter.

It is sooooo simple in my life with problems like that. When I am treated in
that such manner, I refuse to go there anymore. It was a store on my parents
side of town anyhow but even if it was here local, I PROMISE I would NEVER
step foot in their store again.

There are four rat shacks in the 'area' so too speak. Because of that incident
there are now TWO that I literally won't walk in, it's a very basic and honest
system of doing business. It's the ONLY way (as a customer) to be able to
'even the score.' The funny thing is, they (the employees) have caused it
every time, not I. Honest.

I GUARANTEE I would have spent at least $200.00 just in little accesories from
that store in a year , nothing much. Adapter/batteries/guy wire/hi-beam
light......little stuff that adds up over a year. They won't get it. I'll
just wait and go to the one closer to my house and when their good employees
'finish college' and they bring in num nuts like that guy, I will then be down
to one rat shack....lol...he he.

Pretty simple actually. :-)
Old March 6th 04, 08:46 AM
Dxluver

you know what,, screw off, wow you found what you needed!!!!

Since you never post in here, I won't even reply 'much' to you. he he.
College? Huh, I bet they taught you how to write didn't they, looks like it.

Thank you for playing. sheesh
Old March 6th 04, 08:51 AM
Dxluver

dont rip on the shack employees for your short comings. if you have to
complain about them you are just to frustrated with what you needs are, so
yes let them sell phones and make more money than selling $10.94 worth of
connectors, and then you trying to

explain to them about radio

I stopped reading and didn't see that you kept babbling, so I'll reply.
*They* bothered me. As soon as I walked in. *HE* asked 'me' what I was
looking for, but didn't know what to get. Even though I physically had the
receiver in my hand...lol...yeah...helped through college.

The ONLY way to make money at Radio Shack (per former employee) he said "is to
lie."-----enough said. I'm sure you did your share. he he
Old March 5th 04, 06:19 PM
elg110254

Check out the dilemma @ www.radioshacksucks.com