Old March 8th 04, 05:38 AM
Waterperson77

UUUhh? Did you get your shortwave radio fixed at Wal-mart? Cause
this is a radio group.

well, after this thread, I want to try and pick up those black helicopters at
Wal-Mart on my IC-R3.

but I know that it's a lost cause and won't pick them up unless you're inside
them.

too poor of a reception on those frequencies with the R3.

I finally gave up and bought a video transmitter which the R3 wouldn't pick up
3 feet away in the same room, while the video reciever that came with the
transmitter picked it up rooms away, I'd say at least thirty feet away.

Old March 8th 04, 06:01 AM
Waterperson77

UUUhh? Did you get your shortwave radio fixed at Wal-mart? Cause
this is a radio group

Wal-Mart probably doesn't even know what a shortwave radio is.

At least, I never seen any at the Wal-Marts around here.

radios, yes. shortwave radios, no.

I think the radio shacks around here have a few models of shortwave radios.

although nowhere near as much asthey used to years ago.

Old March 7th 04, 02:07 PM
funkbastler

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 02:17:21 -0000, Soliloquy
wrote:

Somehow I can't believe that your mechanics assiduously scrape off ALL
the accumulated dirt and mud. Perhaps this is so if you pay $400 a tire
and $90 for each tire for balancing. No one is going to waste that much
time (they can't, they need to make money to stay in business) perfecting
the tire for balance. They'll scrape off the gross stuff, of course, but
they are not going to dig into every nook and cranny.

And the gross stuff is what counts. If they know what they're
doing, they'll get rid of anything that would cause problems...
otherwise, take your car somewhere else.

--
-fb-

Old March 7th 04, 04:42 AM
Larry W4CSC

Wow. I got 4 sets of WalMart Goodyears on my various Mercedes cars
and trucks. Every time I've taken them in for service, I've been very
happy with our Wally World. I get the lifetime road hazard warranty
because construction vehicles rain nails in Charleston. If the nail
in the tire is anywhere NEAR the sidewall, they give me a new tire for
fear of being sued (www.walmartlitigation.com).....

I like that I can be in S Florida, pull into any Wally World and get
the SAME great service I get at home.....no hassles, no problems.

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:46:04 -0500, Al Patrick wrote:

Well, recently I gripped to this group about the Wal-Mart "service"
departments when things didn't go too well.

I feel it only fair (actually, I think I promised to let you know what
happened!) that I tell of their action / correction of the situation. I
had the tires spin balanced at Wal-Mart yesterday and all is well. The
manager called me about a week ago and offered to do it anytime I could
get it to him. He even promised to try to get it in and out pretty
quickly so I'd not have to wait very long. I waited till a convenient
time for me to go, gave him a call and he was as good as his word.

When they finished I took it down the road for a test and came back
giving him the thumbs up that all is well.

To their credit, I think I should mention that when I had them serviced
before the roads, and thus the tires, were wet and possibly a bit muddy
or snowy, and this could have affected the "balance" of the tires as
soon as I slung some of the crud off. Tip: Don't have tires balanced
except when they are clean and dry! No rainy, snowy days!

Oh, he even reimbursed me for the $20 I spent getting them bubble
balanced elsewhere which didn't really do the job. (That was $5 per wheel.)

Larry W4CSC
POWER is our friend!
Old March 7th 04, 01:50 PM
B Banton

Nice Larry. Yea, I'm checking out the shortwave group to hear about
your damn tires at the local WM. Hey, want to talk about your Mom's
dentures too?

Old March 7th 04, 05:38 PM
Brian Hill

"B Banton" wrote in message

Nice Larry. Yea, I'm checking out the shortwave group to hear about
your damn tires at the local WM. Hey, want to talk about your Mom's
dentures too?

Hey! Jerk! Not long ago you were talking about eating Edy's Grand ice cream.
Put a cork in it!

Brian

Old March 8th 04, 01:47 AM
B Banton

Yea - but I was listening to the radio while I was sucking it down.
Put the cork in your rear. Uh - after it was in my butt of course.
You Wal-Marters love that. Hey - I buy my socks there!

Old March 7th 04, 06:01 PM
Tracy Fort

[...]

Same here...I buy tires at walmart. As far as I'm concerned, best
prices and the service is decent.

In addition, my shortwave radio is very happy strapped into the
passenger seat. Not one of the mechanics has changed his programming
while he has visited the garage and he likes that. He can't wait to
ride up on the lifts each and every time.

Tracy
Old March 8th 04, 06:10 AM
Waterperson77

Wow. I got 4 sets of WalMart Goodyears on my various Mercedes cars
and trucks. Ever

okay. I can get this sort-of on-topic and sort-of off-topic.

by that I mean radio (tv) related. The FCC does define tv as radio
broadcasting.

so it has been reported that the new radio scanners that have video capability
(such as the IC-R3) can recieve the tv images that are transmitted by the
Goodyear blimp.

Sorry, I don't know the frequencies, (it's NOT shortwave, therefore sort of
off-topic, but is radio related, so therefore sort of on-topic).

however, with the way I've seen my IC-R3 perform on 2.4 GHZ frequencies, I
would imagine that you would have to be inside the blimp to see the video
transmissions from it on the R3.

or is the transmitter on the outside.

I gues in that case, you would have to be dangling and hanging onto the outside
of the blimp to see the video transmissions from it on an IC-R3.

My advice: Get a wavecom video reciever and tramsmitter, or X-10 or something.

although those are limited in frequencies to only four specific channels which
the blimp may or may not use for video transmissions.

Old March 8th 04, 05:58 AM
Waterperson77

but I think the IC-R3 is okay for casual listening on shortwave (AM mode) from
5 MHZ to 30 MHZ.

It doesn't do SSB.

and from 0.495 MHZ through the AM hbroadcast band and up to 5 MHZ, the
reception is terible, not even good for casual listening.

I guess I'd have to call that "really casual listening".

I would have put a smiley there, except the sad thing about it is that I'm not
kidding.

It does seem to be at it's best (okay) on the regular scanner frequencies of 30
MHZ to 470 MHZ in NFM mode.

a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
Ham-radio is a hobby not a service Dave Policy 386 April 5th 04 11:59 PM
Wal-Mart "Service" departments! Al Patrick Shortwave 6 February 20th 04 02:09 AM
Broadcast Station Field Strengths.. Reg Edwards Antenna 3 December 29th 03 02:54 AM