Old March 23rd 04, 11:28 AM
Jim Douglas

I felt the same way also, I wanted to feel it, play with it, and tune it to
know stations. I did that at a local Fry's and then found the radio
somewhere else for $100 less.

"BCcubed" wrote in message
I don't think that I'll get the best deal on ebay and have you ever bought

radio on ebay? Ebay should not list radios if people do not understand
shipping.

I want to see the radio before I buy it.

Thanks,

neil

Old March 23rd 04, 09:07 PM
Brian Hill

"BCcubed" wrote in message
I don't think that I'll get the best deal on ebay and have you ever bought

radio on ebay? Ebay should not list radios if people do not understand
shipping.

I want to see the radio before I buy it.

Thanks,

neil

Yes I use Ebay to buy and sell radios. My ID is briansradiouniverse. I love
Ebay. Just deal with good sellers and you'll be all right. I've bought and
sold over $20,000 in radio gear and only had one guy screw me on a $45 deal.
It was a mid 30s Silvertone. I left him Neg. feedback for not wanting to
make it right and he retaliated with a Neg. but big deal. Overall its a
great place to get radios and the safest on line.

Brian
--
Never under estimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianehill/

Old March 24th 04, 03:28 AM
Brian Denley

BCcubed wrote:
I don't think that I'll get the best deal on ebay and have you ever
bought a radio on ebay? Ebay should not list radios if people do not
understand shipping.

I want to see the radio before I buy it.

Thanks,

neil

I have about $6000 in receivers here. Most bought on Ebay with no problems
whatsoever.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 25th 04, 04:39 AM
Fred Zalupski

I understand your desire to see and try a radio before buying; I'm the same
way. Ham Radio Outlet www.hamradio.com and Amateur Electronic Supply
www.aesham.com are reputable national companies and may have a store near
you. I have purchased many times from both companies with great
satisfaction. Also reputable are Lentini Communications (also personal
endorsement), Grove Enterprises (publishers of Monitoring Times) and
Universal Radio. Consider buying the radio from the dealer who shows it and
stocks it. Short wave is not exactly a booming business and there's value in
supporting a seller who has stock in your area, since he's likely to be
around a little longer if he gets your business.

As to a good radio under a grand - I own an Icom R75 and Yaesu FRG-100 and
they're both terrific. The Icom is probably better at digging out a tough
signal and the control functions are more obvious, but the Yaesu sounds
better with an external speaker and I find myself listening to broadcast
programs more on it. To be fair, the features aren't hard to learn and the
radio comes with a handy little pull out menu card that lists common button
functions and stores under the rig.

As to a used rig, I bought a Kenwood R5000 from Ham Radio Outlet and think
that it's a good mix of what the R75 and FRG100 do well with no real
shortcomings, except a number keypad that's laid out in a slightly
cumbersome way. You get used to it. Great sound and easy to use. Buying used
from a dealer has real advantages if there's a problem with the rig. Then
again, you'll pay $450 - 500 and may find a new or open stock radio for that
price - with a warranty.

The trouble with ebay (and I am a frequent user) is that good radios tend to
bid up quickly and it's a crap shoot to a small degree, though most all
sellers with good feedback are quite reputable. I'd still rather buy a used
or open stock (returned and discounted) R75 or FRG 100 (how I got my Yaesu
at a real steal at HRO). This is a purchase that you are likely to enjoy
often and for a long time, so a little bit more of an investment makes
sense.

www.eham.net has a classifieds section, Universal publishes their used
equipment list at www.universal-radio.com AES also lists their used gear on
line. Grove sells theirs through ebay now.

Choosing a new radio is a good problem to have. Enjoy and good listening!

BCcubed wrote in message
Hello all,

I have been listening for about 9 months now and finally I am starting to

feel
comfortable in my knowledge of shortwave and the propagation of

international
broadcasts. I use a portable receiver but now want to move to the next

level
with a good radio and an active SW antenna. My question is Where can I go

trade up to a better radio? Are there sites where SWL's have swap type

setups?
Can anyone give me advice about getting a used Drake, Kenwood, Yaesu,

Icom,
Ten-Tec?? The new radios are nice but 1500$ is a bit too steep at this

point.

73,

Neil

Old April 9th 04, 01:51 AM
Jacob Norlund

As a new radio, the ICOM IC-R75 is probably within your priuce range.
Ham radio rigs are a better value then shortwave receivers and
normally cover shortwave frequencies (and often higher ones). You may
want to keep an eye open for the ICOM IC-706 line of radios or the ICOM
IC746. If you get into ham radio, you'll then be set.

BCcubed wrote:

Hello all,

I have been listening for about 9 months now and finally I am starting to feel
comfortable in my knowledge of shortwave and the propagation of international
broadcasts. I use a portable receiver but now want to move to the next level
with a good radio and an active SW antenna. My question is Where can I go to

Old April 9th 04, 02:04 AM
Diverd4777

Agree,

Look very Hard at the Icom R-75; with DSP

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icr75.html

" First Impressions on Tuning In

The IC-R75 is very sensitive, so much so that to quote sensitivity
specifications is meaningless.
Using an RF Systems SP-2 Signal Splitter to share a 25-metre (80 feet) vertical
wire with a Lowe HF-150 receiver/PR-150 preamplifier, the IC-R75 wins hands
down. No surprise here.

In New Jersey, USA, our first test was the antipodal Voice of Indonesia (RRI)
on 15149.8 kHz, using the USB filter. When we turned on "preamp-1" and applied
a bit of noise reduction to reduce the hiss from solar noise, the signal was
outstanding. The signal was marginally acceptable on the HF-150."
"

Very worthwhile receiver ( Yes I own one.. )

As for an active antenna;
- well, ,
IMHO, if you have room, a longwire will actually do better than an amplified
antenna

Dan

In article , Jacob Norlund

Subject: SWL: THE NEXT LEVEL

Old April 9th 04, 03:10 AM
Greg Dome

You might want to look at the Yaesu FT-840. Excellent SWL rig and a good Ham
rig too. I got mine complete years ago for about 900 with power supply, but
they have been selling new for under 600, power supply extra. Has all what
you need including 100 memories, clarifier for passband tuning and great
selectivity. Add an external speaker, since in inboard one is a little
bassy. Go to www.eham.net for reviews of this and other items. Greg

FA:Texas2Way 4 level Flex Decoder Clifton Turner Scanner 0 September 9th 04 01:10 AM
RRCB Threat Level Elevated to RED King Of Scots CB 2 January 11th 04 02:30 AM
Ground level antenna Peter Shortwave 14 October 15th 03 08:22 PM
Suggest a linear to boost 0.5 watts to 5 watt level. Ashhar Farhan Homebrew 0 September 21st 03 07:52 PM
The technical level of QST increases Len Over 21 Policy 2 August 29th 03 01:10 AM