Old March 24th 04, 03:07 PM
Neill Currie

Default Lost sensitivity on Sony 2010

Hi
I fired up my Sony 2010 for the first time in a few years, it was in
storage, and am very surprised that side by side comparison with the kaito
KA-1102 shows the Kaito pulling in many more stations, particularly on SW.
All conditions seem optimal for both machines, so does anyone have a
recommendation as to what might be happening, and if there is a fix, short
of sending it to Sony?
Thanks
Neill

Old March 24th 04, 07:39 PM
warren

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:07:25 -0500, "Neill Currie"
wrote:

Hi
I fired up my Sony 2010 for the first time in a few years, it was in
storage, and am very surprised that side by side comparison with the kaito
KA-1102 shows the Kaito pulling in many more stations, particularly on SW.
All conditions seem optimal for both machines, so does anyone have a
recommendation as to what might be happening, and if there is a fix, short
of sending it to Sony?
Thanks
Neill

Niell

See the "SMOKEY" Post on 3/21/04 in this newsgroup (Cheap SONY 2010
repair).

This should help.

Warren
Old March 25th 04, 01:49 AM
gil

If you like firing up your soldering iron, should cost you under $2 for
parts, if not comfortable with that I think $25 to get someone to do the job
is not a bad deal.

Gil
--
Please remove NOSPAM to reply

Old March 26th 04, 09:25 AM
starman

UJ wrote:

From: "Neill Currie"

does anyone have a
recommendation as to what might be happening, and if there is a fix, short
of sending it to Sony?

Sounds like a blown FET. I hear the following folks will do the repair for only
$25, far cheaper than Sony:

Sparks Radio Shop
8679 Pinkhurst Drive
Minocqua, WI 54548

I haven't done business with them myself, but you might want to check it out!

Here's a website with a test procedure for determining if your '2010'
has the FET problem:

http://strongsignals.net/access/boar...ges/27117.html

Well darn. I just did that test on my Sony, and wouldn't you know, it
failed. Looks like I'll be sending it in to Vern at Sparks Radio Shop
for the necessary repair work.
I'll let you all know how that goes, but I don't anticipate any
problems.
MB

Please ask them (Sparks) what replacement FET (brand and part-#) they
use. I'm just curious to know what the independent service shops use for
that part. It would also be a good idea to have them install some
protection diodes for static electricity on the whip antenna (if your
2010 doesn't have the diodes) so you won't blow the FET again. They
should know how to do this. The diodes only cost about 20-cents each.
Four are required.
Let us know how the repair goes.

CHEAP SONY 2010 REPAIR Smokey Shortwave 23 March 28th 04 03:48 PM
Sony 2010 help please Rob R. Shortwave 6 February 4th 04 11:45 PM
Opinions pls: Sony 2010 or Sony SW07 Rob R. Shortwave 2 January 2nd 04 12:01 PM
How much should I pay for a new sony 2010? tlin Shortwave 3 November 24th 03 09:01 AM