Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 24th 04, 04:53 PM
Corbin Ray

Default 9.820 Newscast: Fair and Balanced?

Last night I went scanning through the shortwave bands with the hope of
finding out how the world was reporting the events going on in the Middle
East.

As luck would have it, I found that exact topic being covered in a newscast
on 9.820. The announcer didn't seem to take sides in the Israeli-Palestinian
situation, so I knew that I had found a station that wasn't in Israel nor
was it in an Arab country. After that story ended, the announcer's next
story was about the Rickard Clarke book and the trouble it was causing
President Bush. Then he did another story that sounded a bit pro-Kerry, but
nothing I hadn't heard on my local AM's ABC news. Then the announcer signed
off with an ID... I was listening to Radio Havana, Cuba.

Cuba? Then it hit me. Some people consider Radio Havana's programming to be
Anti-American propaganda (I used to feel that way myself a few years ago).
What I heard last night, though, was no more or no less anti-American that
what I hear every day on the US radio and television networks.