Old March 24th 04, 04:53 PM
Corbin Ray

Default 9.820 Newscast: Fair and Balanced?

Last night I went scanning through the shortwave bands with the hope of
finding out how the world was reporting the events going on in the Middle
East.

As luck would have it, I found that exact topic being covered in a newscast
on 9.820. The announcer didn't seem to take sides in the Israeli-Palestinian
situation, so I knew that I had found a station that wasn't in Israel nor
was it in an Arab country. After that story ended, the announcer's next
story was about the Rickard Clarke book and the trouble it was causing
President Bush. Then he did another story that sounded a bit pro-Kerry, but
nothing I hadn't heard on my local AM's ABC news. Then the announcer signed
off with an ID... I was listening to Radio Havana, Cuba.

Cuba? Then it hit me. Some people consider Radio Havana's programming to be
Anti-American propaganda (I used to feel that way myself a few years ago).
What I heard last night, though, was no more or no less anti-American that
what I hear every day on the US radio and television networks.

Old March 24th 04, 05:00 PM
Michael Bryant

From: "Corbin Ray"

Then it hit me. Some people consider Radio Havana's programming to be
Anti-American propaganda (I used to feel that way myself a few years ago).
What I heard last night, though, was no more or no less anti-American that
what I hear every day on the US radio and television networks.

Cleverly worded. Are you saying that you think RHC's broadcasting is more
balanced than ever or are you saying that network news is more leftist than
before? What do you find so "anti-American" about US radio and TV networks?
Given the introduction of Fox News outlets and the radio broadcasting network
monopoly known as Clear Channel, isn't American broadcasting more conservative
than it's ever been?

Michael Bryant, WA4009SWL
Louisville, KY
R75, S800, RX320, SW77, ICF2010K,
DX398, 7600G, 6800W, RF2200, 7600A
GE SRll, Pro-2006, Pro-2010, Pro-76
(remove "nojunk" to reply)
Old March 24th 04, 05:57 PM
Corbin Ray

Maybe Radio Havana has lost its edge. Much of their English programming,
especially their dxing shows, have been politically neutral. Maybe Castro is
letting them be a bit more neutral in their news now. Or maybe I just
listened to a newscast that didn't have too much controversial stuff in it.
We'll see.

Old March 24th 04, 06:03 PM
T. Early

From: "Corbin Ray"

[...]

I didn't hear the broadcast in question, so I can't comment on whether
it was "fair and balanced." One indication might be whether they cast
doubt on Richard Clarke's credibility, which has been taking a severe
beating everywhere but on "60 Minutes." I -have- found Radio Havana
to be taking a rather light touch recently with any
"anti-Americanism," and I suspect they're aware that the embargo will
be a hot policy issue once Castro moves on to that big totalitarian
state in the sky. With regard to the assertion that American
broadcasting is more conservative than it's ever been due to the
emergence of -one- relatively conservative news network and one
broadcasting corporation that isn't even in the news business, I can
only wonder what on which planet CBS, ABC, CNN, and MSNBC are
considered conservative.

Old March 24th 04, 06:37 PM
N8KDV

From: "Corbin Ray"

[...]

Yeah Bryant! Lay it on us! Which of those 'liberal' outlets might be
considered conservative?

Planet Bryant?

Old March 24th 04, 08:23 PM
Michael Bryant

From: "Corbin Ray"

[...]

Man, I'm sitting here, right now, comparing the basic reporting of the news,
CNN vs. Fox, and I just don't see the massive bias you conservatives keep
screaming about. The basic news being reported is essentially the same. If
there's any clear bias open to the possibility of distortion, it's in talk
portions of Fox News or in the countless sea of multi-hour talk show hosts on
Clear Channel AM stations. Are you really defending those portions of the media
as non-biased? They kind of just admit their bias and run with it....

Go ahead and get in any insults you've been intricately composing, Steve.

Old March 25th 04, 01:09 AM
Melvin Creep

N8KDV wrote in message ...I can
only wonder what on which planet CBS, ABC, CNN, and MSNBC are
considered conservative.

Yeah Bryant! Lay it on us! Which of those 'liberal' outlets might be
considered conservative?

Planet Bryant

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Actually they are all ultra conservative in the classical sense of the
word. Each having a vested interest in conserving the status quo viz.,
the dominance of the elite ruling class in America. But of course this
is too intellectually oblique for simpleton's like you to understand.
Which is just the way the networks and their masters want it.
Melvin
Old March 25th 04, 01:42 AM
T. Early

"Melvin Creep" wrote in message
om...
N8KDV wrote in message ...I can
only wonder what on which planet CBS, ABC, CNN, and MSNBC are
considered conservative.

Yeah Bryant! Lay it on us! Which of those 'liberal' outlets might

be
considered conservative?

Planet Bryant

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++
Actually they are all ultra conservative in the classical sense of

the
word. Each having a vested interest in conserving the status quo

viz.,
the dominance of the elite ruling class in America. But of course

this
is too intellectually oblique for simpleton's like you to

understand.
Which is just the way the networks and their masters want it.
Melvin

Wow, even trolls are semi-articulate these days--if no less demented.
Who says the American educational system is in trouble?

Old March 25th 04, 01:56 AM
Brian Hill

"T. Early" wrote in message

Wow, even trolls are semi-articulate these days--if no less demented.
Who says the American educational system is in trouble?

Yea he's sharp as a tack!