Old April 10th 04, 04:06 AM
Gary

B Banton wrote in message My 800 hums slightly when I turn the light on. Does a sync detector
help with that? My battery indicator flashes after about 3 hours of
use. Does turning the gain control up have an effect on that? My 800
can't display the letters USB. How would you have me fix that? They
doubled up the BATT and Attenuate letters. Do you know that? I can't
turn the damn volume knob past 3 before sound distorts. Care to tell
me why they included volume control past that point? Even past the
half-way point? The 800 is an absolute mess. For anyone to defend it
is absolutely incredible IMO. And just another reason why mediocrity
is becoming acceptable. Tell Grundig to stuff that unit up their ever
loving a**.

Regards

I'd say you have a defective unit. As far as the display not
displaying the letters USB - that was taken directly from the Drake
SW8 which also cannot display the letters USB. Some of the early
sets, including mine, have a bad adjustment for the battery indicator
and it flashes, like you say, after about 3 hours of use. That was
corrected on later units, so I understand. The other problems you
have seem to be on your set as I do not have those problems with mine.
Mine actually came from the VERY FIRST production batch sent to
Universal Radio and it has been a gem, except for the battery
indicator. But because the set eats up a set of batteries so quickly,
I use the 3-prong AC adapter so don't have the problem anyway. The
amplifier is the same as that used in the Drake SW8. Funny how no one
complains about the Drake units same faults. As far as actual
performance, the Satellit 800 outperforms the SW8, according to lab
tests I have read. Plus the 800 has an internal MW ferrit bar antenna
which is missing on the SW8. Not to mention the S-meter and larger,
better-sounding speaker. Yet the 800 costs hundreds less than the
SW8. No complaints from me. Had I gotten a defective unit, I would
have returned it for another, like I did with my Satellit 700.
Old April 10th 04, 05:27 AM
B Banton

On 9 Apr 2004 20:06:28 -0700, (Gary) wrote:

[...]

Well then - it's you my friend that has a problem. You see, many 800
owners claim 20 hours or so of battery run time. You don't get nearly
that and even admit that it's an issue with your "perfect" radio. But
you see it's not perfect. The battery thing sucks because when I want
to lug the anchor down to the porch for awhile I have Mr. Blinking
Battery indicator with me in no time. Quite simply - it's damn
annoying. You've settled my friend. You've lowered the bar. Thanks
to you we all know what to expect from the new 900. I can hear it now
from you - "Well, my first production run 900 is a perfect radio. Oh
it's just that the display goes out periodically. But you can't beat
the SSB. And heck - sometimes I use it in the dark before I go to bed
so who needs the display anyway?. Good luck.
Old April 10th 04, 02:37 PM
Jeff Seale

B Banton wrote:

My 800 hums slightly when I turn the light on. Does a sync detector
help with that? My battery indicator flashes after about 3 hours of
use. Does turning the gain control up have an effect on that? My 800
can't display the letters USB. How would you have me fix that? They
doubled up the BATT and Attenuate letters. Do you know that? I can't
turn the damn volume knob past 3 before sound distorts. Care to tell
me why they included volume control past that point? Even past the
half-way point? The 800 is an absolute mess. For anyone to defend it
is absolutely incredible IMO. And just another reason why mediocrity
is becoming acceptable. Tell Grundig to stuff that unit up their ever
loving a**.

Regards

The only problem I experience with mine is false signals all over the SW
band, and they tend to move around too. I sometimes wonder if having my
PC near the radio is causing the problem. I use the PC for RTTY/fax
reception, of course. This radio is great for that kinda' thing. I also
wish I could sync the two clocks on this thing. I use one for local time
and one for GMT. It's a pretty darn cool radio anyway.

Jeff Seale
Yet another SWL in Louisville, KY
Satellit 800, YB550PE
Old April 10th 04, 03:06 PM
Rob R.

Well, here's another bad experience....I just sent back my second Sat800 as
both were defective. The first one had a loud hum in the background when
using earphones, and the 2nd one was a real mess...it had the same loud hum,
plus the Air Band didn't work, the battery cover fit so tight, it pulled the
batteries away from their contacts and shut down when you slid the battery
cover closed, and, finally the antenna wouldn't pull all the way out,
because the bottom piece with the swivel ball had gotten bent inside and it
only went straight up...wouldn't rotate or bend...It's too bad...I really
like the looks of the radio but I will not try another...people seem to love
it if they get a good one, but far too many have problems...
73
Rob R

om...

Old April 10th 04, 04:42 PM
Gary

B Banton wrote in message
Well then - it's you my friend that has a problem. You see, many 800
owners claim 20 hours or so of battery run time. You don't get nearly
that and even admit that it's an issue with your "perfect" radio. But
you see it's not perfect. The battery thing sucks because when I want
to lug the anchor down to the porch for awhile I have Mr. Blinking
Battery indicator with me in no time. Quite simply - it's damn
annoying. You've settled my friend. You've lowered the bar. Thanks
to you we all know what to expect from the new 900. I can hear it now
from you - "Well, my first production run 900 is a perfect radio. Oh
it's just that the display goes out periodically. But you can't beat
the SSB. And heck - sometimes I use it in the dark before I go to bed
so who needs the display anyway?. Good luck.

No where did I say how many hours I get with batteries - I merely said
the set eats them up quickly. I get at least 20 hours on batteries
which, to me, is a waste of money. I've heard of others having the
battery meter problem fixed, so no big deal. Every radio on the
market has had some problems. It took SONY several YEARS to correct
all the initial production problems with the 2010, which most everyone
thinks is one of the best portable radios available.
What radio do you own that is perfect in everything?
Old April 10th 04, 11:26 PM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Gary" wrote in message
m...
No where did I say how many hours I get with batteries - I merely said
the set eats them up quickly. I get at least 20 hours on batteries
which, to me, is a waste of money.

One expects such a large radio with so much energy-intensive circuitry to
suck down the batteries.. most boom-boxes have atrociously short battery
life. I find the Grundig YB-400 to be especially bad on batteries.. even if
you don't use the radio, the batteries will die within a couple weeks or
so.. and if you do use it, you get far less than 20 hours (of course, those
are AA, and not D size.. )

Old April 11th 04, 12:28 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
m...
No where did I say how many hours I get with batteries - I merely said
the set eats them up quickly. I get at least 20 hours on batteries
which, to me, is a waste of money.

One expects such a large radio with so much energy-intensive circuitry to
suck down the batteries.. most boom-boxes have atrociously short battery
life. I find the Grundig YB-400 to be especially bad on batteries.. even if
you don't use the radio, the batteries will die within a couple weeks or
so.. and if you do use it, you get far less than 20 hours (of course, those
are AA, and not D size.. )

A box the size of the SAT 800 uses AA batteries? With all that room why
did they do that? A good modification would be to install a D cell pack
or some type of rechargeable battery.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 11th 04, 12:49 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
m...
No where did I say how many hours I get with batteries - I merely said
the set eats them up quickly. I get at least 20 hours on batteries
which, to me, is a waste of money.

One expects such a large radio with so much energy-intensive circuitry

suck down the batteries.. most boom-boxes have atrociously short battery
life. I find the Grundig YB-400 to be especially bad on batteries..

even if
you don't use the radio, the batteries will die within a couple weeks or
so.. and if you do use it, you get far less than 20 hours (of course,

those
are AA, and not D size.. )

A box the size of the SAT 800 uses AA batteries? With all that room why
did they do that? A good modification would be to install a D cell pack
or some type of rechargeable battery.

No no... the YB-400 uses the AA batteries.. I guess I was not too clear..
Guess Stephen King has nothing to worry about from my writing skills..

Old April 11th 04, 01:06 AM
Jim Hackett

Although, you COULD put a 12 volt motorcycle battery into the Sat 800. The
handle would probably break when you try to lift it

"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote in message

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote: