Old April 8th 04, 12:29 AM
Maximus

Default Grounding

I put up some more wire - around the window, wound around pushpins . I also
got a wire out under the screen and connected it to a clothes hanger stuck
in the ground. It made a great difference. However, when mom turns on the tv
it wipes out everything sigh. I did snag R. New Zealand this afternoon
though on 15.720 .

Old April 8th 04, 04:52 AM
Paul_Morphy

"Maximus" wrote in message
k.net...

I put up some more wire - around the window, wound around pushpins . I

also
got a wire out under the screen and connected it to a clothes hanger stuck
in the ground. It made a great difference. However, when mom turns on the

tv
it wipes out everything sigh. I did snag R. New Zealand this afternoon
though on 15.720 .

Aaargh. You need to interest your mother in SWLing! As much as it has
declined it's still better than most of the crap on the tube. That doesn't
solve your immediate problems, though. Can you move the antenna to a room
farther from the TV? For SWLing purposes you could probably use shielded
audio cable. That might help a little. Are you getting a hash noise or
tweet-tweet birdies? Maybe she needs a new set.

"PM"

Old April 8th 04, 05:01 AM
Tony Meloche

Paul_Morphy wrote:

"Maximus" wrote in message
k.net...

I put up some more wire - around the window, wound around pushpins . I

also
got a wire out under the screen and connected it to a clothes hanger stuck
in the ground. It made a great difference. However, when mom turns on the

tv
it wipes out everything sigh. I did snag R. New Zealand this afternoon
though on 15.720 .

Maximus, this is a long shot, and please don't file it under
"Duhhh!", but the wire you ran out to ground "under ther screen" - that
is an insulated piece of wire, isn't it? Even just plastic coated?
Because if it's a bare copper wire, you have found your problem. Just
trying to cover any possible base here.

Tony
Old April 8th 04, 05:22 AM
Maximus

YUP. Nice plastic insulated hookup wire s. The noise is a hash noise.
The cable company has interrupted the signal 3 times for over anhour this
week messing around. I wish they would fix their booboos and get on with it.
I always wake early. I should just get up and listen LOL.

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

Paul_Morphy wrote:

k.net...

Old April 8th 04, 05:43 AM
Paul_Morphy

"Maximus" wrote in message
k.net...
YUP. Nice plastic insulated hookup wire s. The noise is a hash noise.
The cable company has interrupted the signal 3 times for over anhour this
week messing around. I wish they would fix their booboos and get on with

it.
I always wake early. I should just get up and listen LOL.

I don't understand why, if the cable is the problem, you don't have the
interference until the TV is turned on. I guess you're in the US. If so,
Radio Shack sells two-piece ferrite cores with a strip of plastic around
them that opens. They're called Snap-On RF Chokes, 273-104, two per package.
You could try wrapping both the cable and the TV power cord around these,
placing them as close to the TV as possible. That might cut down any hash
generated by the TV that is being radiated by those conductors. I've had
good success knocking down radiation from my computer using them. The
cylindrical snap-ons weren't very effective.

"PM"

Station Grounding ku4yp Antenna 32 September 10th 04 04:18 PM
Antenna mast grounding question Mike Ekholm Antenna 25 December 5th 03 08:26 AM
Antenna grounding. kjfj Scanner 4 September 21st 03 01:48 AM
Grounding Birderman Shortwave 7 September 6th 03 10:40 PM
Grounding question - this is wierd..... John Passaneau Antenna 17 August 31st 03 06:42 AM