Old April 30th 04, 03:12 AM
GrtPmpkin32

Default Question on the Yaesu FRG-100B

I've wondered if there
is anything the FRG-100B will do that the R-75 won't do?

In my opinion there is nothing the FRG100 can do that the R75 can't, but a few
things the R75 can do that the FRG100 can't.
I looked quite seriously at the FRG100B while shopping around for my current
receiver (Icom R75), and while I liked its looks and some of the programmable
features, and the analog S meter and decent audio, I opted for the R75 for a
number of reasons.
Mainly, the R75 has a numerical keypad to enter frequencies, and the FRG100B
doesn't have this at all, it has to use a third-party wired keypad interface,
which adds to the cost. Not a big hassle but not for *me*.
Also, the R75 has 100 memories, the FRG100 only half that.
I wanted passband tuning to help fight adjacent frequency interference and the
FRG100 lacks that feature as well.
The R75's synch. detector doesn't really work until modified, which is silly,
but at least once it's done it DOES work and the R75 sports that feature. The
FRG100B doesn't.
I also enjoy some lowband VHF monitoring and the R75 covers from 30kHz up to
60MHz, unlike the FRG100B's 50k-30M range.
I still think the FRG100 is a better looking radio out of the box, and I love
analog meters. But no keypad, lack of noise-fighting features and ultimately
greater expense (even without the wired keypad, it still sells for about
$50-$60 more than the R75, and add another $80-$100 for the wired keypad) than
the R75 led me toward the latter.
BUT, the FRG100B has a great many users who are quite pleased with it's
selectivity, efficiency of use when one gets used to programming some of the
features one needs, and mellow audio from the headphones.
For my needs I just couldn't justify getting it, but it's a good radio if your
needs are different.
Linus

Old April 30th 04, 08:03 AM
starman

GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

The R75's synch. detector doesn't really work until modified, which is silly, but at least once it's done it DOES work and the R75 sports that feature. The FRG100B doesn't.

There are differing opinions on how well the R-75 sync' detector works
after the mod'. It certainly works better, but compared to the sync' on
some other receivers, it's nothing to brag about.

Old April 30th 04, 06:35 PM
GrtPmpkin32

There are differing opinions on how well the R-75 sync' detector works
after the mod'. It certainly works better, but compared to the sync' on
some other receivers, it's nothing to brag about.

I'm not bragging, and I'm well aware of the differing opinions about the Icom
synch. circuit. I find it funny that no one can ever recommend or sometimes
even mention the R75 without somebody having to point out the synch. flaws and
other long-argued bones of contention about that particular radio.
The original post asked if there was anything the FRG100 couldn't do that the
R75 could, and I was explaining why I chose NOT to buy a Yaesu FRG100.
Neither radio is for everyone, and each has their definite weaknesses. For my
listening habits, the weakness was greater in the Yaesu unit.
Linus

Old May 1st 04, 01:52 AM
starman

GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

There are differing opinions on how well the R-75 sync' detector works
after the mod'. It certainly works better, but compared to the sync' on
some other receivers, it's nothing to brag about.

I'm not bragging, and I'm well aware of the differing opinions about the Icom
synch. circuit. I find it funny that no one can ever recommend or sometimes
even mention the R75 without somebody having to point out the synch. flaws and
other long-argued bones of contention about that particular radio.
The original post asked if there was anything the FRG100 couldn't do that the
R75 could, and I was explaining why I chose NOT to buy a Yaesu FRG100.
Neither radio is for everyone, and each has their definite weaknesses. For my
listening habits, the weakness was greater in the Yaesu unit.
Linus

I wasn't directing the 'brag' comment specifically at you. It's just a
figure of speech. I almost said it's nothing to write home about. My
point is that even with the mod', the R75 sync' falls far short of some
other receivers. That could be an important point to some prospective
R75 owners.

Old May 1st 04, 05:47 AM
Pete KE9OA

I have to do those R75 mods someday. When there's more
time..............................it will be interesting to see how it
sounds into its "large front mounted speaker". Overall, it's a great
receiver once you remove that MW attenuator, but so is the FRG100. Actually,
they are both cool receivers (I have both of them). That 60MHz coverage of
the R75 is good. An interesting thing about both of the receivers is that
they have an internal I.F. gain control, so people like me can turn it all
the way up!

Pete

Old May 1st 04, 06:02 AM
GrtPmpkin32

I wasn't directing the 'brag' comment specifically at you. It's just a
figure of speech. I almost said it's nothing to write home about. My
point is that even with the mod', the R75 sync' falls far short of some
other receivers. That could be an important point to some prospective
R75 owners.

Indeed. I've used a few receivers over the years that had synch (the best being
the Drake R8B) and the Icom's isn't as good overall, but still does the job
well, particularly if you back the RF gain down a hair.
But in the context of the original question about the Yaesu FRG100, since it
has no synch, good or not-as-good, I decided to go with another receiver. It
ended up being the R75. And as it is now, I'd rather have a working synch than
the best synch ever, if the radio which sports the best synch ever costs too
much for my own good! :-)
Linus
Old May 1st 04, 03:11 PM
Dan Graves

Pete,

What is the MW attenuator mod? Is there a web site with info on this?
Is it difficult to do?

Thanks,
Dan

Old May 1st 04, 06:03 PM
Kenneth

starman wrote in message ...

There are differing opinions on how well the R-75 sync' detector works
after the mod'. It certainly works better, but compared to the sync' on
some other receivers, it's nothing to brag about.

My R75 sync det working performance is excellent [after the 339
comparator sync mod] at reducing distortion caused by selective
fading,as well as at diminishing or eliminating adjacent-channel
interference, You can select the better side band [in SAM sync mode
manually, using the TWIN PBT].This is not an oppinion but a
fact.Nothing to "brag about" but to use, when needed.I don't need to
compare it with other receivers sync in the market because it is doing
what is supposed to do very well..I had first hand experience with
some of the best sync det in the market as an owner of a Drake R8B,Sat
800 and the Sony 2010.
Ken
Old May 2nd 04, 02:35 PM
Kenneth

Dan Graves wrote in message . ..
Were can I find out about these mods and what they do?

Dan

Hi Dan You can find the Icom R75 mod's information he
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icomr75/files/R75%20mods/
About your 2nd question:The sync upgrades provides enhanced
performance where the PLL stays "locked" under the most difficult
signal conditions.For example the KIWA sync upgrade is best described
as a "dual speed control voltage". The control voltage for the PLL
filter is tuned within an optimum window that is determined by signal
conditions.The response is slow to maintain a "centered" condition. A
second circuit provides the control accuracy to react to fast flutter
fading and noisey conditions. These two circuits provide a dual speed
control for the PLL.
The second major upgrade is to the Synchronous AM AGC. The dual speed
technique is used again to first center the AGC but still allow for
quick short changes in AGC characteristics as required by signal
conditions.In the files you can find others nice mods and tips for
enhancing the performance of your Icom. Ken