Old May 2nd 04, 12:42 AM
Dan Graves

Default Good PC Recorder Software?

What are some good Windows recording software programs to record from
streaming audio? I would like the capability to save to various
formats (MP3, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, etc.) and the ability for timers to
auto record. Also the ability to record from line-in, etc.

I've heard about Total Recorder. Is this the best? What other options
are there?

Thanks,
Dan
Old May 2nd 04, 01:23 AM
Tom Betz

Quoth Dan Graves in
:

I've heard about Total Recorder. Is this the best?

I own Total Recorder and Replay Radio; I use Replay Radio.

http://www.replay-radio.com

It's more reliable than the 300 MHz Pentium II PC it runs on. I needs more
than 1 GHz of processor to record from Windows Media streams of 32kbps or
better, though it seems to fare better recording Real streams in that
neighborhood on my slower PC.

The only real problem I have with it is that some applications (specifically
Real Player and [just discovered today] Quintessential) can't play some of
the MP3 files it generates. Winamp and WMP have no trouble playing them, nor
does my DVD player, and Nero has no trouble making the occasional audio CD
from them.

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these
Old May 2nd 04, 01:35 AM

how bout "Audacity"

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Never used it but it looks like do most of what you need (doesn't look
like it has timers however). But it is free :-).

hth,
jeff

Old May 2nd 04, 01:39 AM
Tom Betz

Quoth in
:

how bout "Audacity"

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Never used it but it looks like do most of what you need (doesn't look
like it has timers however). But it is free :-).

I'm running Audacity to do processing of some of the things I record
using Replay Radio (Sirius doesn't use much limiting on Lynn Samuels' show,
so when I record her stream I need to post-process it heavily before I can
play it in my car or her occasional screams blow out my ears and my
speakers!) but I don't recommend it for anything automated.

It's great for post work, though, especially for the price!

Old May 2nd 04, 01:43 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Dan Graves" wrote in message
What are some good Windows recording software programs to record from
streaming audio? I would like the capability to save to various
formats (MP3, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, etc.) and the ability for timers to
auto record. Also the ability to record from line-in, etc.

I've heard about Total Recorder. Is this the best? What other options
are there?

Except for the timer, myMP3 PRO 4.0 does all those things, and does them
well. Some streaming files (such as low bitrate RealMedia) should be
recorded at high bitrates (I use 320Kb/s for those) to minimize or eliminate
bitrate 'beating'. As a nice addition, it has a very slick editor, and only
costs $30. I consider it the best software investment I've made in some
time.

Old May 4th 04, 03:21 PM
RD Munger

On Sat, 01 May 2004 19:42:50 -0400, Dan Graves wrote:

What are some good Windows recording software programs to record from
streaming audio? I would like the capability to save to various
formats (MP3, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, etc.) and the ability for timers to
auto record. Also the ability to record from line-in, etc.

I've heard about Total Recorder. Is this the best? What other options
are there?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan, my favorite is Audiograbber.

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

I've always had poor experiences with Total Recorder because the
program installs its own audio drivers which can often cause problems.