RadioBanter

-   -   VOA Gone? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/42468-voa-gone.html)

Mike Terry May 8th 04 06:24 PM

Jay,

Don't worry, what you ask is fine and someone hopefully will answer.

Usually dxers are friendly.

73s

Mike

"Jay" wrote in message
.. .
Sorry my questions caused you so much anger. I was asking if anyone could
tell me about what is going on at the VOA and if anyone could report on

any
signals they might still be able to receive for VOA. They seemed like
reasonable questions for this forum.

Jay

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Jay wrote:

Yes,

That's the first thing I checked, and I found the listing for

Caribbean
and
Central America is gone (I have on old printout). I haven't had a

chance
try daytime yet but there seem to be no nighttime signals in their

current
list which I can hear here.

Any more details on VOA?

What more do you want? That's the damn schedule.

Sheeesh.... You want me to write reception reports for ya too?

N8KDV May 8th 04 06:29 PM

Mike Terry wrote:

Jay,

Don't worry, what you ask is fine and someone hopefully will answer.

Usually dxers are friendly.

How much more friendly could I have been other than to refer him to the
schedule, retard?

73s

it's 73, not 73s

N8KDV May 8th 04 06:38 PM

Mike Terry wrote:

Jay,

Don't worry, what you ask is fine and someone hopefully will answer.

Usually dxers are friendly.

And you had no answer for him at all did you?

Larry Ozarow May 8th 04 06:48 PM

Jeez, Steve, none of the broadcasts on VOA's schedule
are beamed to the Northeastern US. All Jay asked
was if anyone has good experience in this part of the
country with any of their transmissions. It was a perfectly
reasonable question and there was no call to get all
wacky on him.

Go ahead, call me a retard. That's a very clever retort
coming from a middle-aged man, and from you I'll take
it as a compliment.

Oz

N8KDV wrote:

I gave him the schedule, retard... what more could he want other than someone to
hold his hand and help him turn his radio on?

Crap, if ya can't hear the VOA you better find another hobby.

N8KDV May 8th 04 06:52 PM

Larry Ozarow wrote:

Jeez, Steve, none of the broadcasts on VOA's schedule
are beamed to the Northeastern US. All Jay asked
was if anyone has good experience in this part of the
country with any of their transmissions. It was a perfectly
reasonable question and there was no call to get all
wacky on him.

Go ahead, call me a retard. That's a very clever retort
coming from a middle-aged man, and from you I'll take
it as a compliment.

Oz

And I've still provided him with more info than you have...

Your point?

uncle arnie May 8th 04 07:00 PM

On Sat, 08 May 2004 09:23 am -0600 UTC, Jay posted:
%MM

I drifted away from sw listening for a few months and upon my return seem
to have discovered that I can no longer receive any of my old VOA
frequencies. I used to be able to listen to their Caribbean and Central
America feeds like locals, and during the day I got other feeds, generally
pretty well. Now I can't find them at all.

What are the details of what has happened at VOA and are there any
transmissions still receivable in the Northeast USA?

Jay

From April/2004 Monitoring Times:
John Figliozzi writes on p 44 (summary in my words):

He called it "death by 1000 cuts".
VOA's already reduced to 19 hrs/day will soon be cut to 14. Smith-Mundt Act
(I'm not familiar with this) which means the changes are done out of public
view. The board of governors (mixture of commercial broadcasters and
political appointees) prefer spending $ on obscure commercial-sounding
propaganda outlets instead (Radio Free Asia, R. Farda, R. Sawa etc [I don't
know what the etc might be]). Other languages are also being cut. He
wondered if the funding cuts for VOA is b/c their charter maeans gov't
can't interfere and funding other outlets is subject to no such
constraints. He suggests writing to gov't representatives.

---
I'm guessing these cuts have occurred and continue. I don't generally
pursue VOA but have noticed I don't come across it as much when going after
other stations.
--
-UA

uncle arnie May 8th 04 07:04 PM

On Sat, 08 May 2004 10:23 am -0600 UTC, N8KDV
posted: %MM

Jay wrote:

Sorry my questions caused you so much anger. I was asking if anyone could
tell me about what is going on at the VOA and if anyone could report on
any signals they might still be able to receive for VOA. They seemed like
reasonable questions for this forum.

No anger at all... I gave you the site for the schedule... what more do
you want?

The VOA is audible most anytime here.

Turn your radio on.

You're DXing too much and not sleeping enough?

Actually, there are more than American-based listeners in the world. VOA is
not available "most anytime" in many locales. And it has reduced its
schedule and number of languages.
--
-UA

N8KDV May 8th 04 07:07 PM

Jay wrote:

Sorry my questions caused you so much anger. I was asking if anyone could
tell me about what is going on at the VOA and if anyone could report on
any signals they might still be able to receive for VOA. They seemed like
reasonable questions for this forum.

No anger at all... I gave you the site for the schedule... what more do
you want?

The VOA is audible most anytime here.

Turn your radio on.

You're DXing too much and not sleeping enough?

I get plenty of sleep, you need to learn to read!

Actually, there are more than American-based listeners in the world.

No kidding!

VOA is
not available "most anytime" in many locales. And it has reduced its
schedule and number of languages.

No kidding! It's all in the schedule I provided...

You better wake up!

John Doty May 8th 04 07:20 PM

Jay wrote:
Sorry my questions caused you so much anger. I was asking if anyone could
tell me about what is going on at the VOA and if anyone could report on any
signals they might still be able to receive for VOA. They seemed like
reasonable questions for this forum.

Shortwave has pretty much disappeared from this newsgroup. Nearly all
posts are by closed-minded ideologues berating each other. The best way
I know of to identify a fool is that fools like to argue with people
they consider to be fools.

In answer to your original question, many international broadcasters,
including the VOA, have judged that they get better coverage of their
intended audiences via FM, satellite, and internet broadcasting, at
least in the more developed countries. It has gotten much more difficult
to pick up international shortwave in North America because of this. So
it becomes much more of a research problem: understanding propagation,
look for a broadcast intended for somewhere else that might make it to
your location. I can't give you specifics because I haven't done the
research for the VOA, and in any case, it depends on what part of the
country you live in. It often depends on things like transmitter antenna
sidelobes. It's generally impractical to obtain this information, so you
just have to try a bunch of frequencies to see what you can get. A good
antenna is a must.

-jpd