Old May 18th 04, 07:58 AM
byrnefm

Default Sangean ATS-909 shortwave mode

Hi,

last week I received the wideband FM edition of the Sangean ATS-909 I
bought from thiecom.de and gave it a test run over the weekend. Its
shortwave range covers that of CB radio which leads me to the
following question:

- is there a way of switching the SW mode to FM instead of AM/USB/LSB?
EU CB channels broadcast (usually) in FM mode, not AM. This makes
tuning in such stations tricky at best (they are tuneable - but with
some distortion).

Also, a more minor question - is it just me or is the 909's audio
quality just so-so on FM? Voice and music with more treble than bass
sound fine but with music with a lot of bass, the bass sounds a little
distorted to me. (Mind you, I am comparing it with a radio with a
larger speaker)

Thanks in advance!
...Francis
Old May 20th 04, 10:56 AM
byrnefm

Larry Weil wrote in message ...

- is there a way of switching the SW mode to FM instead of AM/USB/LSB?
EU CB channels broadcast (usually) in FM mode, not AM. This makes
tuning in such stations tricky at best (they are tuneable - but with
some distortion).

This would not work even if it did. (Talk about a Yogi Berra'ism) The
FM used for communications purposes is narrow-band, that used for FM
broadcast is wide-band. Since the FM circuitry in this radio is for
wide-band you'de wind up receiving the entire CB band all at once.

I didn't phrase myself properly (though I like your Yogi Berra'ism
). I meant if there was a method of switching to narrow FM on
shortwave. However, I'm guessing by your reply that this isn't
possible either. Oh well!

Cheers,
...Francis

We Need a BANDWIDTH-BASED Frequency Plan - NOT Mode-Based. Expeditionradio Policy 43 February 8th 04 08:47 PM
RadioShack DX-399 Shortwave (same as Sangean ATS 606A) longbch Shortwave 0 November 13th 03 04:06 AM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
CCIR Coefficients METHOD 6 REC533 // AUCKLAND --> SEATTLE http://CBC.am/ Shortwave 0 July 16th 03 08:21 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? LLOYD DAVIES N0VFP General 0 July 4th 03 04:21 PM