Old May 19th 04, 04:26 AM
Pete & Renee Davis

Default Car SW reception

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
Happy to see discussion of car SW radios. Lots of good information.
pI work for a home health agency in southern Maine. I'm on the road a
lot during the daytime and I would rather listen to information than opinion;
that rules out most US MW radio.
pI've been wondering what the quality of the SW reception is like. What
are their good points and bad points? Are they more or less stable than
conventional portables or table top models? How susceptible to interference
as you drive down the road? Do they work best with standard antennas, or
should you install a specialized antenna?
pI haven't found any comparative reviews of car SW receivers, so any
solid information will be very helpful. Thanks in advance for the group's
replies.
pPete Davis
br /html

Old May 19th 04, 09:37 AM
GO BEARCATS

I've been wondering what the quality of the SW reception is like.

Very good and quiet if done properly. The BEST antenna (most won't use though)
is a 108" (I think that's the right inch) steel whip.

Ground....ground.......ground.......can't be said enough.

I once had two scanners(sometimes three/cb radio/ shortwave receiver and an
illegal piece of eqipment for tx on bc freq, didn't use it much-but I did. Yes
I know that's bad.

I had a total of four either 1/2'or 3/4 stainless steel plates, two welded to
the frame of my car and two welded to the frame in the back. *GROUND* is very
important, if I can do it in a little 85Olds Firenza with all that and enjoy
shortwave with all the rf I had going on inside, you can if that's all you're
running in there.

If you don't want to go to the extreme in length of antenna, cut it down a tad
or some will say in here to used a cb magnet mount (which won't get as good
receive and it'll be staticy at certain parts of the spectrum.

Good luck and have, you can do it.:-)

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+HowellSW
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
500ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Long-Wire
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*
~OptimusCTR-111Cassettte Recorder~
~Radio Shack 2Speed VOX#43-476~
~Ramsey Speech Scrambler~

Old May 19th 04, 01:17 PM
jtaylor

GO BEARCATS wrote in message
I've been wondering what the quality of the SW reception is like.

Very good and quiet if done properly. The BEST antenna (most won't use

though)
is a 108" (I think that's the right inch) steel whip.

Ground....ground.......ground.......can't be said enough.

Hmmm, I have a car project and and a Philips DC777 is going in it. The body
is glass-fibre reinforced plastic. Is grounding likely to be trouble?

Are there any retractable antennae this long?

Old May 19th 05, 11:19 PM
Junior Member

I have a Philips DC777 in a Corvette with a CCrane am fm loading coil antenna and it gets decent reception in that car. I think a Sony might be a little bit less noise prone, but I have one of those ,Sony Explod XRCA640 (similar to Sony XRCA620, both replaced by less featured Sony XR-F5100) in a metal car with I believe an active antenna so I cannot really make a valid comparison. Sony works as well or better except for no direct entry.