Old May 26th 04, 03:15 PM
Tom

Default Question about multiband radio...

I've recently run across an old 70's multiband radio. It has five
bands on it. Air/Police High/Weather, FM, Police Low, SW1/SW2, and AM.
I can pick up shortwave 1 and 2 very well as well as FM and AM. The
problem is, I can hear FM stations on Police Low, but the biggest
problem is that I can't hear a thing on the Air/Police High/Weather
band. Are these bands dead or is something wrong with my radio?

Thanks for reading. :-)
Old May 26th 04, 05:08 PM
Josey221

I'm sorry about not giving you the model number. I believe it's AEL 1235 or
1255. I can't make out the name of the company who made it but it does say
Worldmaster on the front of it and the place where the logo is, is on the lower
left side. It has the bandswitch on the right side and you turn it.

I'd like to know if something is wrong with the radio or if it's just that the
Air/Police High/Weather band is dead. I thought at least I should get the
weather, but I don't get anything when it's tuned to 162.5 which is where it
says the weather is located. I've cleaned the bandswitch and checked the wires
inside to make sure one didn't come loose, is appears to be fine.

Please let me know what you come up with and thanks. :-D
Old May 26th 04, 06:24 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Josey221 wrote:
I'd like to know if something is wrong with the radio or if it's just that the
Air/Police High/Weather band is dead. I thought at least I should get the
weather, but I don't get anything when it's tuned to 162.5 which is where it
says the weather is located. I've cleaned the bandswitch and checked the wires
inside to make sure one didn't come loose, is appears to be fine.

Hmmm. If you're anywhere near a city of any size, you shouldn't have
any trouble hearing the 162.5 weather. The weather transmitters are
(usually) running 1,000 watts which is a LOT of power for that
frequency. Have you tried tuning around a bit? There are seven weather
channels, maybe you just didn't stumble across the right one?

If that doesn't work... dunno. First thing I'd think is a dirty
bandswitch but you're saying you've already checked that...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old May 26th 04, 06:51 PM
Josey221

I used some contact cleaner that I have to clean the bandswitch, but still
nothing. I do get FM stations on the Police Low band, but nothing at all on the
Air/Police High/Weather band. Is there anything else to check inside the radio
that could be causing it not to work?

Is there anything else at all that I could check, or is that band just dead?
Thanks again. :-D

Old May 26th 04, 09:30 PM
J999w

First question: Can you hear noise, or is it just 'dead'??

Next, tune around 156mhz where some of the high power pagers are,also in the
145-148mhz ham band, you should hear something there in the evenings.

Perhaps, some of the capacitors have dried out over time, leaving the
sensitivity something to be desired.

jw
K9RZZ
Old May 26th 04, 11:53 PM
Josey221

I can hear noise. I can hear the same noise on the Police Low band as well, but
I can tune in FM stations on the Police Low band. The Air/Police High/Weather
band, I can't hear a thing. Just can't figure it out.

I'm open to some other suggestions, if anyone has any to offer. I would really
like to try to get to the bottom of this. The capacitors being dried up that
j999w mentioned, is there anyway to test it with a multimeter? That's all that
I have. What can I test in the radio with the multimeter and how do you do it?

I know this may sound dumb, but it really helps. Thanks. :-D

Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 09:34 AM
Yagi / Beam antenna theory question... Nick C Antenna 12 October 5th 03 12:15 PM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
Question regarding police tactics and scanners noobie Scanner 0 July 29th 03 12:48 AM