Old July 9th 04, 07:01 PM
mike0219116

Default New version of the JRC NRD-545?

I was looking on Grove's website today and I happened to stumble upon a JRC
NRD-545G for $2,195.

http://www.grove-ent.com/jrcprofreceivers.html

Could this be a new version of this receiver? Universal still lists this
unit at $1,799 without mention of the 545(G) designation. Also, the Grove
website states in a very Moses-like fashion that, "Thus, the new-generation
NRD-545 receiver has come into the world."

Old July 9th 04, 07:42 PM
Paul Bauer

the nrd-545g is the european version of the nrd-545.
its rom is not cell blocked, when the vhf/uhf convertor card is installed
you can tune cell freqs. most people think the uhf/vhf card is what is
blocked, that is not the case with this radio. it can only be sold to
governmental agenices and to export addresses outside of the usa.

paul

Old July 9th 04, 07:50 PM
mike0219116

Thanks for the explanation, Paul. I was really curious about this. I had
my doubts that it was a new revision since passband.com and radiointel.com
had no Info. about a new 545.

ewsgroups.com...

Old July 9th 04, 07:58 PM
Paul Bauer

i thought about trying to get one, but $400 extra right off the bat and
having it shipped to a friend out of the country and then back in(and paying
for that), just didnt seem worth it.

Thanks for the explanation, Paul. I was really curious about this. I had
my doubts that it was a new revision since passband.com and radiointel.com
had no Info. about a new 545.

ewsgroups.com...

Old July 11th 04, 06:09 AM
Brucemm33

I think Paul Bauer is incorrect in his statement regarding the NRD 545. It is
not the entirely the rom in the 545 that determines if it will receive the
"forbidden" frequencies when the VHF/UHF converter card is installed. I have
the USA version of the 545 with the VHF/UHF card. With a simple modification
to the VHF/UHF card I am able to received ALL frequencies from 30 MHz to 2000
MHz. I came across this modification in the Yahoo NRD 545 user group. It's as
simple as installing a short across a resistor location on the VHF/UHF card.
Apparently there is a parallel circuit on the card identical to the resistor
network on the motherboard of the 545 which determines the frequency coverage.
One only needs to modify the card to change the receive coverage spectrum.

I will say the documentation that comes with the VHF/UHF card specifies it's
the rom in the 545 that determines the frequency coverage....it is entirely not
true as I can tune freely across the designed frequency range. Bruce

Old July 11th 04, 12:16 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , Brucemm33
writes
I think Paul Bauer is incorrect in his statement regarding the NRD 545. It is
not the entirely the rom in the 545 that determines if it will receive the
"forbidden" frequencies when the VHF/UHF converter card is installed. I have
the USA version of the 545 with the VHF/UHF card. With a simple modification
to the VHF/UHF card I am able to received ALL frequencies from 30 MHz to 2000
MHz. I came across this modification in the Yahoo NRD 545 user group.

Would you mind posting the address of the 545 user group, please?

Mike
-
M.J.Powell
Old July 11th 04, 05:51 PM
mike0219116

Would there really be anything in that "forbidden" frequency range to listen
to? It's my understanding that here in the U.S. almost all cellular
systems are now digital anyway.

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
On Sun 11 Jul 2004 01:09:25a, (Brucemm33) wrote in
message :

[...]

Are the "forbidden frequencies" compellingly interesting enough to mod a
receiver, or is it more of a "curiosity" just to see if you can do it?

I imagine it might be like opening Al Capone's safe - the mystery of
finally being able to peek inside turned out to be better than actually
opening the thing, which turned out to be a let-down...

-=jd=-
--
My Current Disposable Email:

(Remove YOUR HAT to reply directly)

Old July 11th 04, 07:19 PM
dxAce

-=jd=- wrote:

On Sun 11 Jul 2004 12:51:28p, "mike0219116" wrote
in message news:jeeIc.37142$Ch.28021@okepread04:

Would there really be anything in that "forbidden" frequency range to
listen to? It's my understanding that here in the U.S. almost all
cellular systems are now digital anyway.

Heck - even if they were analog and in the clear - It would strike me as
particularly boring (I'm sure opinions would vary) to eavesdrop on cell
calls. Probably like 80m on any given week-night, except the callers wouldn't
ID every 10 minutes (or so...).

When I had a cell capable scanner it was extremely interesting! Never, ever a
dull moment.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old July 12th 04, 01:17 AM
mike0219116

I can imagine.

With my broadband scanner, I've been able to pick up phone conservations in
the neighborhood that were being conducted by people with those early model
cordless phones. However, they were old women who spent most of their time
talking about the various medications they were taking.

Old July 12th 04, 05:31 AM
Brucemm33

The address to the Yahoo group is:

You will have to become a member and search the discussions to find the relvant
info as I do not remember when I saw this last...(it was a while ago). No
matter, the concensus here seems to be that is that it isn't worth anyone's
while to have a non restricted radio. I differ in that opinion, not because I
like to listening to cellular conversations, but because I have a radio with no
restrictions and I can listen as I please anywhere I want when I want. Bruce

Announcement: WRLog version 1.20 released Paraclete InfoSys Shortwave 0 March 29th 04 08:14 PM
Bookmark for Santa KØHB Policy 53 January 22nd 04 05:46 AM
MixW version 2.10 now available for downloads Jim Digital 0 October 15th 03 11:28 PM
MixW version 2.10 now available for downloads Jim Digital 0 October 15th 03 11:28 PM
CCIR Coefficients METHOD 6 REC533 // AUCKLAND --> SEATTLE http://CBC.am/ Shortwave 0 July 16th 03 08:21 AM