Old July 12th 04, 10:10 AM
Mark

Default JRC NRD-545 with frequency convert option?

Hi....

I'm considering the purchase of an NRD-545. I was wondering about the
CHE-199 Frequency Converter option. It adds 30 - 2000 MHz.

Has anybody used this option? Is it like a regular scanner, with squelch
etc?

The reason I ask is that I have a Sony ICF-2001D (ICF2010) which has air
band. But it's not that effective because there is no squelch. So you listen
to noise whilst there's no transmission.

So I'm wondering whether the NRD option card is the way to go for a good
scanner (as well as a decent HF receiver of course!).

I live in New Zealand and will import the unit myself. That means of course,
I can't even see a working 545 before I buy one, let alone know what the
scanner capabilities are like!

Any thoughts appreciated.

Mark.

Old July 12th 04, 01:49 PM
Al - KA5JGV

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi....
I'm considering the purchase of an NRD-545. I was wondering about the
CHE-199 Frequency Converter option. It adds 30 - 2000 MHz.
Mark.

Hello Mark,

I believe that you will get a compromise expecting the 545 to cover such a
range and be very good as both a SW receiver and a scanner. My preference
would be to purchase the 545 without the scanner option and use the
difference in money to purchase a dedicated scanner (Radio shack and others
have plenty to choose from). That way you have two units each dedicated to
its own specific functions, and therefore, theoretically, best at doing what
they are expected to do.

Al KA5JGV
San Antonio, Tx.

Old July 12th 04, 10:55 PM
Robert11

Hi,

I also have the 545 with the extended freq range option/scanner.

Works just fine, But VERY slow as a scanner.

Strongly recommend to get it without, and buy one of the new Uniden scanners
instead with the saved $.

Bob

Old July 12th 04, 11:42 PM
Mark

Thank you Al, and thank you Robert.

You've pretty much confirmed what I thought. I have a couple of very old
scanners, so I was looking at my upgrade options. As you mention, it will
cost me around $600 NZ dollars to get the converter option, and I can buy a
very decent scanner for that much money anyway.

Thanks again,

Mark.