Old July 20th 04, 04:42 PM
Tom Betz

Quoth "David Eduardo" in news:vEaLc.24232$vi2.697
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

No, it is also behind WFAN, a sports talker and WADO, a Spanish talker.
Make that #4 out of 5.

So Crains NY has it wrong, you say?

In Message-ID: you say there
are six talk stations:

770, 620, 1280, 1050, 1190, 710 are all talk. Sports talk is also talk.

Though sports talk aims at a younger demographic than straight talk, I'm
perfectly willing to concede this for the sake of discussion, considering
that Air America's listener base skews younger than WOR and WABC, too. I
have a harder time including Spanish talk as a competitor to Air America,
even though I've observed that Air America has a considerable Latino listener
base. I often find Latinos on the street listening to WLIB.

WSNR 620 doesn't even appear on the Radio and Records ratings chart. Would
it be number 6 out of 6?

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these
Old July 20th 04, 07:00 PM
David Eduardo

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
. 70...
Quoth "David Eduardo" in news:vEaLc.24232$vi2.697
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

No, it is also behind WFAN, a sports talker and WADO, a Spanish talker.
Make that #4 out of 5.

So Crains NY has it wrong, you say?

Probably Crains had 1) the unofficial monthly numbers and, 2) forgot that
WADO is talk and WFAN is talk.... first because it is Spanish and second
because it is sports talk.

The Friday numbers were "advances" while today's release is the offical
data.

In 12+, the ranking is WABC, WFAN, WOR, WADO and WLIB last.

In Message-ID: you say
there
are six talk stations:

770, 620, 1280, 1050, 1190, 710 are all talk. Sports talk is also talk.

Though sports talk aims at a younger demographic than straight talk, I'm
perfectly willing to concede this for the sake of discussion, considering
that Air America's listener base skews younger than WOR and WABC, too. I
have a harder time including Spanish talk as a competitor to Air America,
even though I've observed that Air America has a considerable Latino
listener
base. I often find Latinos on the street listening to WLIB.

And most 35+ Hispanics in NY, overwhelmingly Puerto Ricans, are English
dominant.

WSNR 620 doesn't even appear on the Radio and Records ratings chart.
Would
it be number 6 out of 6?

Yes, I guess. But it is a perpetual no-show.

Old July 20th 04, 07:08 PM
dxAce

David Eduardo wrote:

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
. 70...
Quoth "David Eduardo" in news:vEaLc.24232$vi2.697
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

No, it is also behind WFAN, a sports talker and WADO, a Spanish talker.
Make that #4 out of 5.

So Crains NY has it wrong, you say?

Probably Crains had 1) the unofficial monthly numbers and, 2) forgot that
WADO is talk and WFAN is talk.... first because it is Spanish and second
because it is sports talk.

The Friday numbers were "advances" while today's release is the offical
data.

In 12+, the ranking is WABC, WFAN, WOR, WADO and WLIB last.

Rush mentioned today that new ratings were out and that he was the most
listened to show in NYC.

Old July 20th 04, 08:08 PM
clifto

Tom Betz wrote:
Quoth "Stinger" in news:UhZKc.407$NQ5.156
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:
So then Air America won the
12-and-under demo?

See http://www.crainsny.com/news.cms?newsId=8414.

http://www.nyradioguide.com/index.shtml suggests they're not doing so
hot: "Ill-fated WNEW-FM (102.7) again fared poorly, earning only a 1.5
share, while the Air America format on WLIB (1190 AM) remained flat at
1.3."

Other newsgroup articles have said that AA is beating Limbaugh, as judged
by WLIB having had higher ratings than WABC. The July 16 ratings have WABC
tied for 7th place with 3.7, while WLIB is in 24th place. The article you
cite admits Limbaugh's station is doing better.

Sorta hokey that Crain's compares WLIB's ratings to WOR's for O'Reilly
and someone else I never heard of. The last time I saw a list of
conservative talk show hosts in order of popularity, O'Reilly was
somewhere around tenth place. If Crain's wants to play that way,
perhaps they should compare to the ratings of Percy Dovetonsils, who
isn't on the air at all and has a solid zero rating. "WLIB beats the
pants off Dovetonsils!"

http://www.nyradioguide.com/ratings.htm lists only five stations doing
worse than WLIB; two of them are religious programming. It also shows
WOR no less than 1.8 for fall/winter/spring, with WLIB no higher than
1.3 during the same three ratings periods.

And when it comes down to it, you're talking about New York City,
arguably the biggest bastion of leftism in the country. Even liberal
Chicago couldn't support AA. (Did WNTD ever get paid?)

--
DAMN tax cuts! They're letting money trickle down to people who spend it!
WASHINGTON, July 13 (Reuters) - The U.S. government posted a larger-than-
Old July 20th 04, 10:37 PM
Tom Betz

Quoth clifto in :

Even liberal Chicago couldn't support AA. (Did WNTD ever get paid?)

Actualy, it was doing quite well, but the contract dispute over the LA
station caused the Chicago station (also owned by Arthur Liu) to be lost.

Arthur Liu had always been paid in full for the Chicago station -- the now-
departed AA management mishandled the dispute over the LA station. If the
Guam Republicans had dealt with the matter more responsibly, AA would still
be on the air there AND in LA.

Old July 20th 04, 10:38 PM
Tom Betz

Quoth clifto in :

Sorta hokey that Crain's compares WLIB's ratings to WOR's for O'Reilly
and someone else I never heard of.

Bob Grant. Well known in New York. A prototypical race-baiting right-
winger.

Old July 20th 04, 10:41 PM
T. Early

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
0...
Quoth clifto in

:

Sorta hokey that Crain's compares WLIB's ratings to WOR's for

O'Reilly
and someone else I never heard of.

Bob Grant. Well known in New York. A prototypical race-baiting

right-
winger.

Considering all the prototypical race-baiting left wingers in
NYC--some of whom actually hold public office--I doubt Grant's
"influence" is of any significance.

Old July 21st 04, 02:48 AM
Mitchell Kaufman

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:15:31 -0400, "T. Early"
wrote:

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
Quoth "-=jd=-" in
:

True - If they play their cards right, they *should* be #1 in NYC.

They'd have to add about 20kW to the 30 kW WLIB transmitter to have

a fair
shot at #1.

#2 ain't bad for three months. Let's see whether they can hold onto

it.

I'm not that familiar with the New York AM market--that's #2 in 25-54
out of 3 -talk- stations, correct? As opposed to #2 overall on AM.
And with all respect to your well-taken point regarding the
transmitter, there is still a huge disproportion of liberals to
conservatives all over NYC--a huge built in market that should
minimize any transmitter issues.

That is correct., #2 in talk. While WABC is #2 or 3 overall, WLIB is
#23 or 24.
Old July 21st 04, 02:50 AM
Mitchell Kaufman

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:08:46 -0500, clifto wrote:

Tom Betz wrote:
Quoth "Stinger" in news:UhZKc.407$NQ5.156
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:
So then Air America won the
12-and-under demo?

See http://www.crainsny.com/news.cms?newsId=8414.

http://www.nyradioguide.com/index.shtml suggests they're not doing so
hot: "Ill-fated WNEW-FM (102.7) again fared poorly, earning only a 1.5
share, while the Air America format on WLIB (1190 AM) remained flat at
1.3."

Other newsgroup articles have said that AA is beating Limbaugh, as judged
by WLIB having had higher ratings than WABC. The July 16 ratings have WABC
tied for 7th place with 3.7, while WLIB is in 24th place. The article you
cite admits Limbaugh's station is doing better.

Some preliminary numbers from a few weeks ago seemed to show WLIB
doing better in some demographics. The full report showed that not to
be the case. In fact, Limbaugh's ratings are up and WLIB's are near
what they were before AA came on the air.
Old July 21st 04, 07:40 AM
RHF

= = = . ..

Tom Betz wrote:
[...]

MK,

Rush says that if he can get a 'potential' Listener to listen
everyday for six weeks. That they will become a 'regular'
Listener some becasue the like and agree with him. Others
because they Love to Hate Him ) But they all count as
Listeners.

~ RHF

..

Air America -- Good Ratings in NY! Frank Dresser Shortwave 21 June 7th 04 12:12 PM
Shakeup At Air America Radio: CEO and Program Director Out Mike Terry Shortwave 12 April 29th 04 02:56 AM
Air America N8KDV Shortwave 6 April 28th 04 08:53 PM
Air America - where every flight crashes Stephen M.H. Lawrence Shortwave 4 April 15th 04 04:20 AM