Old August 7th 04, 11:59 AM
I was against it before I was for it

Default Shortwave newbie..

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:53:32 GMT, Gordon K wrote:

Hello,
lately I've been looking around on the web for information on
shortwave. I'm new to shortwave and looking to find a good reciever,
however being a college student I'm on a budget. I'm more looking for
something portable but, really the major factor is price.

What are some good brands/models in the sub $100 or $150 dollar range?

Or generally where/what should I look for in a good radio?

Thanks in advance..

The best sub $100.00 radio is the Degen DE - 1102, no other radio
comes close. If you can spend about $150.00 the Sony 7600GR is the one
to pick. I own the following radios:

DE 1102
YB550
YB500
YB400
YB300
Grundig Mini200
Tecsun R-919
Saegan 909
Sony SW100
DX399 - a very nice small portable
Sony 7600GR
and a host of small lesser known radios.

Tabletop radios

Kenwood R-5000
Kenwood R-600
Kenwoor R-1000
Drake R8B
Hallicrafters SX-28
Hallicrafters SX-100
Hallicrafters S-40B

plus 60+ radios from the 20's to the 30's

I know, it a sickness ( according to my wife and children )

Old August 8th 04, 04:58 PM
B Williams

I was against it before I was for it wrote in message . ..
[...]

There are only a few portables, which most of which have posted
are new ones. Since you state your on a budget. You might to
consider some older portable sets, such as;

Sangean 803A/ RS DX-440
RS 400
Sony 7600
Sony 2001
Panasonic B65

You can alot of times a 803A/440 on ebay from $50 to $80 range.

BW
Old August 11th 04, 01:18 PM
ben

"Al Arduengo" wrote in message
"ben" writes:

The 909 is rubbish compared to the Sony 7600GR, go for the Sony, you

would
regret buying a 909
Ben

Can you please elaborate? I have both and have done side-by-side
comparisons and found that the only way the 7600GR beats my 909 is off
the whip sensitivity. Other than that, nope. The 909 is more capable
than the 7600GR on a 60ft random wire. It sounds better, is easier to
operate, has tons more ergonomic appeal, more features and comes with
a damned wall wart of it's own. It's much more of a pleasure to tune
simply because it has a tuning knob!

Yes, the 7600GR is a good radio but the sync detector it is so famous
for does not provide any significant benefit in reality - some, but
not much. I have a 7600GR, PL550, 1103 and 909 and I always go back
to the 909.

What is it about the 7600GR you like more than a 909? I will concede
to battery usage and whip sensitivity.

Best,
-Al

Every thing is better, I too have both and never hardly bother with the 909
since buying the 7600gr. Far better snsitivity/selectivity/sound/stronger
build/looks good (909 looks and feels cheap and tacky) better battery
life/smaller/sync lock on mine works fine, makes a hell of a difference, my
7600 gr can pick up stations on the telescopic antenna that the 909 can only
just hear on a 100' longwire/ when I put the 7600gr on the longwire i can
get stuff the 909 can't hear at all. Having said that I live in the UK and
shortwave reception is good over here, I can pick up the US coast guards no
problem even in the daytime. It may be all down to where in the world you
are situated, but as I said here in the UK the 7600gr simply blows the 909
away
Ben

---

Old August 11th 04, 01:18 PM
ben

news

"ben" writes:

The 909 is rubbish compared to the Sony 7600GR, go for the Sony, you

would
regret buying a 909
Ben

Can you please elaborate? I have both and have done side-by-side
comparisons and found that the only way the 7600GR beats my 909 is off
the whip sensitivity. Other than that, nope. The 909 is more capable
than the 7600GR on a 60ft random wire. It sounds better, is easier to
operate, has tons more ergonomic appeal, more features and comes with
a damned wall wart of it's own. It's much more of a pleasure to tune
simply because it has a tuning knob!

Yes, the 7600GR is a good radio but the sync detector it is so famous
for does not provide any significant benefit in reality - some, but
not much.

I have found it to be quite useful. The 7600g had a way better am synch
then my stock R-75. LOL.... I really liked the 7600g for program

listening
because the am sync made moderate fade far more bearable.

I have a 7600GR, PL550, 1103 and 909 and I always go back
to the 909.

What is it about the 7600GR you like more than a 909? I will concede
to battery usage and whip sensitivity.

I think price played a heavy part in the original posters question. If I
had a choice to have a free 7600gr or 909, Id take the free 909. I agree

100
% that the 909 is the better radio even with its weakness off the whip. I
also LOVE having a tuning knob too. That is why I love to use my PL-550 so
much. BUT... For value for dollar, the Sony is the better bet. The 909
sells for about $240.00. You can get a 7600gr for under $150.00. The

909
is NO WAY $100.00 more of a radio then the 7600gr. Rather then spend
$240.00 on a 909, Id say spend a few more bucks and get a Sat-800 or even

used R-75. Done get me wrong, the 909 is a good radio, but it is not as
good of a value as the 7600gr. Especially for a newbie that wants to get

good radio within his/her stated budget.

Also... I hear a lot of good things about the Radio Labs mod version of

909
as far as performance numbers go, but the thing costs $325.00. Id love to
have one, but not for that price. It is over priced. I'm going to go off
on a tangent here... LOL..
The best value for dollar radios out there....

Portable: Sony 7600gr (no way is the 1103 a match for the Sony)
Porta-Top: Grundig Sat 800
Tabletop: Icom R-75

I would tell any one who wants to know what the "best radio for the money
is" those above radios.

Price has nothing to do with it, I own both the 909 and 7600gr and the Sony
simply blows the 909 away here in the UK
Ben

---

Newbie: question about old shortwave converter schematics Rick Andrews Shortwave 6 December 13th 03 08:21 PM
Newbie ask advices for shortwave "sailing" radio Al Patrick Shortwave 1 September 9th 03 07:23 AM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
shortwave newbie needs help please. radio newbie Shortwave 4 August 20th 03 05:50 AM
Newbie question: shortwave coils and modification of an am radio Lungshot1 Shortwave 1 July 18th 03 08:17 PM