Old August 13th 04, 05:41 AM
Juan Gonzalez

Default Sangean Super 909

Just wondering if anyone has tried this modified Sangean 909.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/re...s/super909.php

My Sony 2010 has just about had it so I was wondering if this is a good
replacement.
Old August 13th 04, 10:42 AM
Al Patrick

I have a DX-398, but it is a bit harder on batteries than a YB-400 or
especially the Sony 7600 series. The modifications supposedly make this
a far superior radio and with the solar charger you don't have to worry
about the battery consumption too much - unless it's cloudy for a long
time.

That will be a SUPER replacement. Steve Quayle, The Q Files,
www.stevequayle.com talks about it often. He says the internet, phones,
and power ARE GOING TO GO DOWN ! Shortwave just may be our only contact
with the outside world for a while.

One will need MANY things to support them for an extended period of
time. Plastic and duct tape won't cut it. One needs to consider night
travel - without lights, provisions for the individual or group for as
long as it takes, dry extra clothing, footwear, water purification,
medications, food preparation and preservation, etc., etc. Most of us
are probably not 10% ready for a real extended emergency. That radio
will probably be a step in the right direction.

Al

================

Old August 13th 04, 02:03 PM
DeWayne

"Juan Gonzalez" wrote in message
Just wondering if anyone has tried this modified Sangean 909.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/re...s/super909.php

My Sony 2010 has just about had it so I was wondering if this is a good
replacement.

I had the Super. I would MUCH rather have a Sony 7600GR. Several who had the
Super mods done are not happy with them, especially the SSB performance.
When you consider the huge price difference in the Super and a new 7600GR
it's no contest IMO.

DeWayne

Old August 13th 04, 02:42 PM
ben

Juan Gonzalez wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has tried this modified Sangean 909.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/re...s/super909.php

My Sony 2010 has just about had it so I was wondering if this is a good
replacement.

It still won't be as good as the Sony 7600GR
Ben

---

Old August 13th 04, 07:47 PM
m II

Juan Gonzalez wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has tried this modified Sangean 909.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/re...s/super909.php

My Sony 2010 has just about had it so I was wondering if this is a good
replacement.

A nice 909 site:

http://www.gis.net/~acali/MiscSubs/sangean_ats.htm

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

..let the cat out to reply..

©Densa International
'Think tanks cleaned cheap'

Old August 14th 04, 08:52 PM
T. Early

"DeWayne" wrote in message

"Juan Gonzalez" wrote in message
Just wondering if anyone has tried this modified Sangean 909.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/re...s/super909.php

My Sony 2010 has just about had it so I was wondering if this is a

good
replacement.

I had the Super. I would MUCH rather have a Sony 7600GR. Several who

had the
Super mods done are not happy with them, especially the SSB

performance.
When you consider the huge price difference in the Super and a new

7600GR
it's no contest IMO.

DeWayne

All in all, do you think that the Super is noticeably superior to the
"regular" 909--leaving aside the comparisons to the Sony? Respect
your opinions FWIW.

Old August 16th 04, 08:23 AM
byrnefm

I got my Sangean upgraded to the Super-909 and I have to say, I did
notice an improvement to reception in the MW band and LW band, at any
rate (SW varies anyway, so it's harder to tell here). My best catch
with the Super 909 so far was VoA being transmitted on 1530kHz from
São Tomé (along the equator, near Gabon) - 4700+ miles from where I
live in Dublin - and this was just with the built-in antenna!

I got a very good price on the radio from thiecom.de, so the cost of
it plus the upgrade was only a little more than buying the standard
909 in the UK. I'm very pleased with the Super 909, at any rate!

Regards,
...Francis
Old August 16th 04, 01:31 PM
DeWayne

"byrnefm" wrote in message
om...
I got my Sangean upgraded to the Super-909 and I have to say, I did
notice an improvement to reception in the MW band and LW band, at any
rate (SW varies anyway, so it's harder to tell here). My best catch
with the Super 909 so far was VoA being transmitted on 1530kHz from
São Tomé (along the equator, near Gabon) - 4700+ miles from where I
live in Dublin - and this was just with the built-in antenna!

I got a very good price on the radio from thiecom.de, so the cost of
it plus the upgrade was only a little more than buying the standard
909 in the UK. I'm very pleased with the Super 909, at any rate!

Regards,
..Francis

Do you listen to any SSB?

DeWayne

Old August 17th 04, 01:14 AM
Frank

"DeWayne" wrote in message .. .
"byrnefm" wrote in message
om...
I got my Sangean upgraded to the Super-909 and I have to say, I did
notice an improvement to reception in the MW band and LW band, at any
rate (SW varies anyway, so it's harder to tell here). My best catch
with the Super 909 so far was VoA being transmitted on 1530kHz from
São Tomé (along the equator, near Gabon) - 4700+ miles from where I
live in Dublin - and this was just with the built-in antenna!

I got a very good price on the radio from thiecom.de, so the cost of
it plus the upgrade was only a little more than buying the standard
909 in the UK. I'm very pleased with the Super 909, at any rate!

Regards,
..Francis

Do you listen to any SSB?

DeWayne

SSB is a problem on this receiver because of the horrible AGC design
and the associated time constants. I attempted several times to
improve it but to little or no avail because of the fundamentally
flawed design. I have a Kaito 1102 and SSB is definitely superior even
on this little radio. They wasted too much time with "do-dads" on the
398 rather that optimizing the basic receiver functions. Sounded like
**** too!

Frank
Old August 17th 04, 01:56 PM
byrnefm

De Wayne wrote:
Do you listen to any SSB?

I have done a bit of SSB listening (just last weekend for the first
time with it), around 3.7MHz and tuned in the caller successfully.
Also tried two other frequencies a little lower down (3.5-3.6MHz) with
success. Haven't tried it on the other bands yet (eg around 7MHz).

I have to say that one thing that is definitely an improvement over
the standard ATS-909 (in my opinion, anyway!) is the speaker - music
on FM sounded pretty poor if there was any amount of bass involved.
The RDS indicator could be a lot better, though - the signal has to be
very strong for the radio to decode the RDS signal. (I know RDS isn't
used that much in the US but in Europe it's more popular: for example,
18 out of the 21 stations that I pick up in Dublin use it and two of
the non-users are pirate stations).

Regards,
...Francis