Old August 22nd 04, 12:04 AM
Thurston Howell III

Default BEST PORTABLE SHORTWAVE RADIO?

Getting back into Shortwave after a 10 year absence. This has probably
been discussed often, but would like your current opinions as to what
is the "best" (all around for a casual weekend listener) portable
Shortwave radio in the less than $500.00 price range. I am looking at
YB 400PE, Sangean 909, etc. Any others? Pros and cons of the two
listed above. I just ordered the new Passport, but have not received
it yet. Thanks, and I look forward to the discussion. Thurston Howell
III
Old August 22nd 04, 12:52 AM
mike0219116

Subjective opinion to follow:

In the $500 range, you should consider a Sony SW77 which is a sibling of the
much admired (and discontinued) Sony 2010. The SW77 is also discontinued,
but you can probably find a new one in the existing inventory that some
firms still have. An SW77 will run you between $450-$500 depending on the
vendor. The 2010 is still available used on eBay. I like my SW77, but the
audio leaves something to be desired. I started out in this hobby with a
909 and I didn't like it, but it has many fans who like it for good reason.
There's also the Sony 7600GR at about $150. I have one and it is a good
performer, especially for its price point. It's probably the least
expensive portable with synchronous detection. I have to admit that I like
operate my Degen 1103 most of all my portables, even with the goofy volume
control setup. It's a nice unit with a lot of bang for the buck. It's
double conversion with SSB capabilities with two nice filter settings. I
really like the audio quality and the fact that it has the tuning feel of a
analog tuner with digital precision. At a price of $65 shipped from Lypin
on eBay, it's a bargain.

If you are willing to spend $500 you should probably consider the Icom R75,
which is a tabletop unit. However, it's probably the best "entry level"
DXing machine on the market. I had one for about a year before I sold it,
but it was a good investment. I was disappointed with it's synchronous
detector unit which, out of the box, the terrible. I had the unit modded to
improve performance, but it didn't help that much. I found the R75 tiring
for program listening, but with the optional DSP unit and it's other tuning
features, it was capable of good DX and, as PWBR puts it, "...nothing beats
it this side of a kilobuck." There are others mods available for it, as
well as a large community of users on the internet. Another near $500 unit
you might want to consider is the Grundig (Lextronix) Satellit 800. I got
mine new from Amazon for $400 shipped so there are deals to be found on it
if you look hard enough. It's innards are based on the venerable Drake SW-8
which was a great portatop. While technically a portable that will run off
of 6 "D" cells, it weights about 15 pounds wich diminishes it's status as a
portable. Also, it's quality & workmanship doesn't seem to be that of a
$500 receiver. The first two units I got from Amazon were defective (first
unit-AGC circuit didn't work; second unit had a busted signal strength
indicator). The third time was a charm for me and I really like it,
especially for program listening. The audio is great and the synch detector
is superb. It's doesn't have all of the DXing tools that the R75 has but
it's a strong performer. The bandwidths are well chosen and I like the
inclusion of air band reception. SSB performance on the Sat. is good too.

Anyway, my $.02. Welcome back and good luck.

m...

Old August 22nd 04, 02:36 AM
William H. Everhart III

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:52:02 -0500, "mike0219116"
wrote:

[...]

om...
Getting back into Shortwave after a 10 year absence. This has probably
been discussed often, but would like your current opinions as to what
is the "best" (all around for a casual weekend listener) portable
Shortwave radio in the less than $500.00 price range. I am looking at
YB 400PE, Sangean 909, etc. Any others? Pros and cons of the two
listed above. I just ordered the new Passport, but have not received
it yet. Thanks, and I look forward to the discussion. Thurston Howell
III

Purchase a Satellit 700 on Ebay next time one is available.
Old August 22nd 04, 12:25 PM
Jay

check out:

When you receive your Passport you will read it is currently the "best"
portable available. Not everyone agrees as "best" is partly objective
opinion, partly subjective opinion. The SW77, though, is the most sensitive
sw portable you can buy new today, is very well made and has excellent
synchronous detection which can really help make some tough signals sound
much more pleasant. It also has bass and treble controls. You can also read
the yahoo newsgroups about the Sangean ATS/909 which is also loved by many
of its owners, hated by others. It has tons of memories and nice ergonomics
but needs an external antenna to hear as many signals as the SW77 or 7600GR

If you want something much cheaper there are the Degen 1103 available direct
from china on eBay only, the Sony 7600GR (not as good as the SW77 but only
$160). There are lots of other choices too but these are the major players
in this category.

Jay

Old August 23rd 04, 12:33 AM
AbbN

Hi,
I too got back into it 5 years ago after a 30 year absence. The term "best"
can mean a lot of things. Just to let you know what I have now is a Sat-800,
YB 400PE and a DX398/Sangean 909. I had a DX-394B and loved it but got back
into the hobby with a DX-375.

What do you want to listen to??? Do you want portability?? The Sat-800 is
NOT a portable, at least not by my definition and it IS my favourite
receiver. The 400PE is a battery eater - it's harder on batteries than the
909 (and you need 6 of them!). But I feel that the 909 is a more
"professional" receiver between the 2 - more features. The Sony SW77 is
excellent too. But here in Canada, it's double the US price whereas the
Grundig receivers are only about 20% - 30% more than their US prices.

If you want to listen to hams, between the 909 and the 400PE, the 909 has
*much* better sideband. But I don't listen to hams that often and prefer the
400. I also prefer how it sounds and feels. It's also more sensitive than
the 909 with just the whip antenna. As far as batteries are concerned, thank
goodness for rechargeable (and the AC adaptor that comes with it)

In all honesty, you won't go wrong with any of the choices presented. But I
really suggest that, if possible,YOU try, touch and feel and listen to any
of them before you buy. What I may like and prefer, you may not.....

Good Luck
Abb N
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Old August 23rd 04, 01:09 AM
Michael

"Thurston Howell III" wrote in message
m...
Getting back into Shortwave after a 10 year absence. This has probably
been discussed often, but would like your current opinions as to what
is the "best" (all around for a casual weekend listener) portable
Shortwave radio in the less than $500.00 price range. I am looking at
YB 400PE, Sangean 909, etc. Any others? Pros and cons of the two
listed above. I just ordered the new Passport, but have not received
it yet. Thanks, and I look forward to the discussion. Thurston Howell
III

$500.00 ???? That is your limit ??? Must your radio be a portable ????
The YB-400 is in the $ 150.00 range. Another very popular portable is the
Sony 7600GR. I like it better then the YB-400. The 7600GR is also in the $
150.00 range.

If you don't need a portable and you can spend $ 500.00, get a table top
receiver like the Icom R-75.

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: New Jersey
Primary Receiver: R-75 with full Kiwa mods
Antennas: G5RV, 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire
Additional Radios: KA-1101,KA-1102,PL-550,
KA-989, Info-Mate 837, GE-SR III
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Web Site: http://md_dxing.tripod.com