Old August 31st 04, 03:15 PM
4nradio

Default Tropical Band Loggings for Aug. 31st

INDONESIA 4000.2, 1347-1401, RRI Kendari Aug 31 Good to very good signal of
lagu romantik with female and male vocals. Male announcer at 1358, brief
music, then female announcer followed by slick, musical vocal ID 'Kendari'
sung by a woman. Male announcer again at 1400 with announcements and some
background discussion in the studio with another person, then a return to
music. (Atkins-WA)

INDONESIA 4869.96, 1335-1345, RRI Wamena Aug 31 Apparent phone interview
with reporter, noted parallel to 4750 Makassar. Upon returning to 4870 at
1345, Wamena was off the air. Very good signal while it lasted. Presumed, as
4869.96 is typical for Wamena, and Sorong was last on 4870.9 when I last
heard them in July. (Atkins-WA)

INDONESIA 4606.5, 1402-1406, RRI Serui Aug 31 Male announcer hosting a
phone-in show, with male and female callers. Good, clear signal. (Atkins-WA)

NEW ZEALAND 3935, 1310-1321, ZLXA Levin Aug 31 Best reception in a long time
of this low-power Kiwi reading service. Three men in a panel discussion
talking about New Zealand's economy and how it impacts the rest of the
Pacific region and Asia. Fair signal. (Atkins-WA)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
Modified RA6790GM & R75
Kiwa MAP / ERGO / DSP-59+
450 & 700 ft. Beverage Antennas

Old September 1st 04, 01:18 AM
hma

"4nradio" wrote in

[...]

It looks very interesting.
That was local time in the state of Washington right?
I wonder what time this was in Indonesia or better your time
in UTC. This way we can all try to log some of it.

Old September 1st 04, 02:24 AM
dxAce

hma wrote:

[...]

He was posting in UTC. If you don't realise that, you'd better be studying
propagation, elsewise you won't be logging them yourself.

dxAce

Old September 1st 04, 06:33 AM
4nradio

"hma" wrote in message

SNIP
It looks very interesting.
That was local time in the state of Washington right?
I wonder what time this was in Indonesia or better your time
in UTC. This way we can all try to log some of it.

Hi HMA,

dxAce is correct-- the loggings were in UTC, which is the accepted time
format for loggings on shortwave (and usually mediumwave, too, though
Eastern Standard Time is sometimes referenced for MW). You can imagine the
confusion among DXers in different locations if the reports were stated in
various local time zones. So, long ago UTC (or GMT for the true-blue British
among us-- same thing) was chosen as the reference point. UTC is truly the
"starting point" for time zones around the world; every zone is referenced
as either plus or minus hours from it.

All the major shortwave stations give their programming times in UTC also
for the same reason, though many will also give the local times in the
target areas (where the audience lives).

For the record, the Indonesian stations I heard this morning were noted
around dawn my local time (currently 6:30am Pacific Daylight Time). This
equals 1330 UTC. If it had been local time, these tropical band signals
would not have been audible in North America because it would be early
afternoon at the receiver.

regards,

Guy

Old September 1st 04, 07:40 PM
hma

"4nradio" wrote in

"hma" wrote in message

[...]

Hi
UTC it was than Silly me. I should have known.
Thanks for your detailed explanation.

regards,

Guy

Old September 1st 04, 09:20 PM
John Plimmer

Well done Guy - some extremely good catches there as usual.
For the uninitiated, RRI Serui is a very low power 500 watt TX some 6,800
miles from Guy's QTH at Puyallup, an extremely difficult and rare DX catch.
South 33 d 47 m 540 s, East 20 d 07 m 541 s.
RX Drake R8B, SW8
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop

Old September 2nd 04, 03:37 AM
4nradio

Hi John,

Thanks for the comments. I had forgotten Serui is only a 500-watter;
actually, less output than 500w is probable because of the tropical climate
there. Most transmitters in tropical regions run less than rated power due
to the stress of the high humidity and heat.

The signal was so good on Serui I would have guessed that it was 5kw. It
helps to have a Beverage antenna looking down the barrel at Indonesia,
though!

Guy

Old September 2nd 04, 11:37 AM
dxAce

4nradio wrote:

Hi John,

Thanks for the comments. I had forgotten Serui is only a 500-watter;
actually, less output than 500w is probable because of the tropical climate
there. Most transmitters in tropical regions run less than rated power due
to the stress of the high humidity and heat.

The signal was so good on Serui I would have guessed that it was 5kw. It
helps to have a Beverage antenna looking down the barrel at Indonesia,
though!

I have a QSL from Serui for a reception on 4607.3 back in January 1990. I sent
them a prepared card which they stamped and returned.

dxAce
Michigan

Old September 2nd 04, 03:28 PM
John Plimmer

Hi Steve,
Getting Serui from Michigan is a great catch - that's 8,600 miles from
you AND over the 12,000 foot high Rockies.
Getting a QSL from them is even better than extracting hens teeth! = well
done

I often try for the low powered Peruvians, but they never seem to come over
the Andes down to this part of the world.

Old September 2nd 04, 07:50 PM
dxAce

John Plimmer wrote:

Hi Steve,
Getting Serui from Michigan is a great catch - that's 8,600 miles from
you AND over the 12,000 foot high Rockies.
Getting a QSL from them is even better than extracting hens teeth! = well
done

I haven't tried getting a QSL from any Indo's for some time but it was generally
pretty easy. All it took was a report in Indonesian, a prepared card for the
station to stamp and sign, and an addressed return envelope with Indonesian
postage included. I think I had about a 95% return rate on Indo's.

I don't really think the Rockies being in the way has much to do with it, the
ionosphere is much, much higher.

dxAce