Old September 5th 04, 11:26 PM
Stereophile22

Even Picks up Radio waves from Outer space;

what planet have you been listening to?

Eavesdropping on Uncle Martin again?

Selectivity is really the way to go IMHO

I've heard that depends on where you live. Whether you live in a rural area or
urban area determines whether sensitivity or selectivity is the way to go.

Old September 6th 04, 12:02 AM
Dale Parfitt

"Stereophile22" wrote in message
Even Picks up Radio waves from Outer space;

what planet have you been listening to?

Eavesdropping on Uncle Martin again?

Selectivity is really the way to go IMHO

I've heard that depends on where you live. Whether you live in a rural

area or
urban area determines whether sensitivity or selectivity is the way to go.

We're talking about MW and SW here- don't think the BBC at S9+40 knows if

you live in a city or country setting. If you don't have decent dynamic
range and selectivity- preferably a host of filters and PBT, you're not
going to catch many weak ones.

Dale W4OP

Old September 6th 04, 03:09 AM
Stereophile22

- City boy here...

definitely selectivity then. And judging from the other posters here, despite
what I thought earlier, it seems that selctivity is the way for me to go also
in regards to the shortwave bands.

My area is defined as "semi-rural".

which I guess means that it hard to define whether a radio with better
selectivity or better sensitivity is better for me in regards to normal AM and
FM broacast listening and scanner listening.

Old September 6th 04, 07:02 AM
starman

Stereophile22 wrote:

- City boy here...

definitely selectivity then. And judging from the other posters here, despite
what I thought earlier, it seems that selctivity is the way for me to go also
in regards to the shortwave bands.

My area is defined as "semi-rural".

which I guess means that it hard to define whether a radio with better
selectivity or better sensitivity is better for me in regards to normal AM and
FM broacast listening and scanner listening.

Almost any modern receiver will have acceptable sensitivity, so that's
not really an issue unless you are trying to hear very weak stations. In
that case, the first requirement is double conversion to eliminate or
greatly reduce images. Otherwise you will be hearing all kinds of junk
where it doesn't belong on the bands you want to hear. Second comes
selectivity. This allows you to hear a weak station next to a strong
one.
If you intend to use a good external antenna, another requirement is
good dynamic range to reduce spurious signals from strong stations.
These are similar to images but they're caused by a different process.
Dynamic range is hard to get in a portable because it requires a more
sophisticated design, which costs more. Finally, consider a receiver
with a sync' detector like the 7600GR and others. Sync' can really help
to make the audio more listenable with less distortion.

Old September 6th 04, 11:53 AM
RHF

= = = (Stereophile22) wrote in message
= = = ...

- City boy here...

definitely selectivity then. And judging from the other posters here, despite
what I thought earlier, it seems that selctivity is the way for me to go also
in regards to the shortwave bands.

My area is defined as "semi-rural".

which I guess means that it hard to define whether a radio with better
selectivity or better sensitivity is better for me in regards to normal AM and
FM broacast listening and scanner listening.

SP22,

For normal AM and FM Band listening from a semi-rural area:

If you are not within 35 miles of a AM or FM Radio Transmitter
site; then consider the Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000.
This is a so called "super Radio":
+ Very Good AM/MW Sensitivity
+ Wide & Narrow IF Filters
+ RG Gain Control
+ External AM/MW/SW Antenna 500 Ohm Inputs
+ External FM Antenna 72 Ohm Input
+ Digital Frequency Display
+ Very Good FM Sound Quality
+ Very Long Battery Life
+ Moderate Size
$ = Low Price ~ $100
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S350/

For the Shortwave Bands plus AM and FM, consider the
+ Sony ICF-SW7600GR (AM-SYNC)
+ Sangean ATS-909/RadioShack DX-398 (SSB).
+ Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE (SSB)
$ = All Priced below $200

A third option for the Shortwave Bands plus AM and FM is the
Grundig Satellit 800 M which is really a table-top radio with
a handle and batteries. ( How Do You Spell: H E A V Y )
$ = Price about $400-$500

Also consider some of the Radios listed in the
"Modern Shortwave Receiver Survey" at DXing.Com.
http://www.dxing.com/rx/rxindex.htm
- Panasonics: RF-2200 / RF-2900 / RF-2600
- Sony ICF-2010
- Grundig Satellit 500 / 700
- Magnavox D2999

jm2cw ~ RHF

..
Old September 6th 04, 03:41 PM
RHF

FO&A,

1. And the Answer is to Read: Russ's AM/MW Portable Radio Olympics
GoTo= http://www.radiointel.com/review-mwolympics.htm
- The Competitors (22)
- The Results
- Conclusions
- The Winners Are . . .
- by Russ, K3PI
- RadioIntel.Com

2. Here is another "Yard Stick" of Best DX Radios:
GoTo= http://www.dxtools.com/BestDXrx.htm
- Best Desk Top Receivers for MW DX (14)
- Best Portable Radios for MW DX (14)
- by Gerry Thomas, KB4JFM
- RadiosPlus+ at DXTools.Com

fyi ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "David" wrote in message
= = = news:Mgp_c.1062$sS4.830@trndny03...

What is the most overall sensitive portable (under $200) for receiving
SW/MW/FM signals? From reading reviews the Degen 1102 and 1103 seem up
there, along with the Sony 7600GR. I use to own the Radio Shack DX-440 (aka
Sangean 803a)
and it was darn good for picking up SW and MW , with a long wire attached.
The best portable I had with just the whip was the Grundig YB 305.
Interesting to hear other opnions.

..