Old October 8th 04, 02:18 AM
m II

Frank Dresser wrote:

There's still plenty of tubes.

snipped for brevity....

Thank you for the insights. Things aren't as bad as I thought..

mike
Old October 8th 04, 04:58 PM
Frank Dresser

"m II" wrote in message
Frank Dresser wrote:

There's still plenty of tubes.

snipped for brevity....

Thank you for the insights. Things aren't as bad as I thought..

In sense, many of the parts for modern radios are harder to find than the
parts for old radios. Such things as Application Specific Integrated
Circuits are oftentime unique to one particular radio. And there isn't an
inventory of common parts in repair shops, warehouses and drugstore tube
testers. These ICs are highly reliable, but not perfect and they can also
be damaged by other failures in the radio. The most practical way to fix
many problems on a newer radio is by swapping boards from other junk radios.
I really can't see the sort of future hobbiest repair interest in current
radios as we now have with old tube radios.

Frank Dresser