Old November 8th 04, 11:41 PM
Dyuob Poltice

Default so are we expecting more lights tonight?

My wife overheard a nurse today discussing this, in so mo of all
places.
If true, another night lost to listening.
Old November 8th 04, 11:47 PM
Ken Wilson

Dyuob Poltice wrote in message

If true, another night lost to listening.

Not if you like to listen to stations from the south on MW.

Ken

Old November 9th 04, 12:29 AM
Dale Parfitt

"Dyuob Poltice" wrote in message
My wife overheard a nurse today discussing this, in so mo of all
places.
If true, another night lost to listening.

Not if you like to DX VHF

W4OP

Old November 9th 04, 12:38 AM
Buzzygirl

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message
newsbUjd.22$b92.6@trnddc09...

"Dyuob Poltice" wrote in message
My wife overheard a nurse today discussing this, in so mo of all
places.
If true, another night lost to listening.

Not if you like to DX VHF

This is true. The "upper bands" are hopping with auroral propagation. Cloudy
here tonight, but we were treated to a grand display of the northern lights
last night!

Jackie

Old November 9th 04, 01:19 AM
Pilotbutteradio

Here is the place to check it out.

www.spaceweather.com

Also try this one for a real time map of the geomagnetic storms in progress.

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/

--
Dave,
Icom 746pro, Drake R-8, Grundig YB-400pe

Old November 9th 04, 01:20 AM
866A Glow

"Dyuob Poltice" wrote in message
My wife overheard a nurse today discussing this, in so mo of all
places.
If true, another night lost to listening.

Just tuned to 40 and 80 meters and it's
a complete washout! Much like daytime
propagation, no signals except for a
few here and there and those we can hear
have very heavy "storm drain pipe" aurora
effect on them rendering them almost
unintelligible. Even some of the big shortwave
guns like WWCR and WBCQ and either
gone or very difficult to hear as of 7:10 PM
Central Time. see www.spaceweather.com
for some nifty photos of last nite's aurora!

Old November 9th 04, 02:28 AM
Dyuob Poltice

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:20:50 -0500, "866A Glow"
wrote:

"Dyuob Poltice" wrote in message
.. .
My wife overheard a nurse today discussing this, in so mo of all
places.
If true, another night lost to listening.

Just tuned to 40 and 80 meters and it's
a complete washout! Much like daytime
propagation, no signals except for a
few here and there and those we can hear
have very heavy "storm drain pipe" aurora
effect on them rendering them almost
unintelligible. Even some of the big shortwave
guns like WWCR and WBCQ and either
gone or very difficult to hear as of 7:10 PM
Central Time. see www.spaceweather.com
for some nifty photos of last nite's aurora!

I know you're going to think I'm nuts, but I think I caught 3320.0
R.SonderGrense, from S. Africa tonight. At 00:48utc I tuned in and
the language at first seemed either Dutch or German, and indeed, it
was being broadcast (according to ILG) in Afrikaan, so, I waited
through the hour mark, but didn't recognize an ID, but their might
have been one, there was quite a bit of fading. It is a 100,000 watt
station, so who knows.
(I also think I may have briefly caught 2390.0 XEJN Huayacocotla
from MEXICO, music, (sounded like an accordion, with the second song
sounding "cajun" with fiddle) with very deep fade, almost not there,
at 00:28-00:31utc and considering it is a 500 watt station, I sort of
doubt it, but that was all that was listed at that time)
I'm in so mo, using a very long random wire connected to a yb400pe,
coax fed, and grounded.
And yes, I know, without an ID, this is darn impossible to figure out,
but, considering what last night was like....
Old November 9th 04, 03:11 AM
Dyuob Poltice

wrote:

"Dyuob Poltice" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Well, I just heard the announcer say "Africa", so I'm willing to bet I
got this one!

No Radio Australia or New Zealand tonight Telamon Shortwave 4 November 6th 04 09:34 PM
Halogen lights QRM?? Kevin Gunther Boatanchors 4 June 7th 04 05:02 PM
SW rocks tonight Telamon Shortwave 1 May 25th 04 08:54 AM
Did anyone here WBCQ tonight? GO BEARCATS Shortwave 26 May 2nd 04 12:38 PM
Strange lights over "Long Island" Joe Shortwave 15 February 8th 04 10:33 PM