Old April 27th 04, 07:49 AM
GO BEARCATS

Default Did anyone here WBCQ tonight?

At 0400UCT here at my QTH in Cincinnati, first time I EVER heard Ed 'literally'
plead for donations. I was taping the show to let my Dad hear it and hoping he
read my letter I sent out Saturday with some money.

But he didn't do the 'Amos & Andy' show itself tonight, he used their voices to
ask for donations, I wonder how many (like he said) listen to the 12-14 minute
show every night and leave it to others to send in two or five bucks?

He literally said it tonight. "No donations and the show will forever be
gone." He really means it too. It WILL be gone also because no one is going to
acquire the original scripts (he won't sell em'~*he'd burn then first IMO~* and
do the voices like he does. It's pretty sad IMO, that show is a HUGE part of
Americana and just because cheap butts won't send it two dollars but listen to
it, people like me aren't going to get to hear it anymore and I was just
getting into the characters and storyline.

If he takes it off the air due to those reasons, I can't do much, but I'll
never send another cent to ANY broadcaster anywhere. Let em' fend for their
selves or shut up (like apparently everyone else is doing) because I'm not
giving you my money so you can hear for free...lol. These transmitters and
relays and stuff don't run for free, not including his time and everything he
said tonight that goes into making ONE show.

I'll fire up my four scanners and transmitter and do my BCB dxing and forget
shortwave and get my ticket.

Just my take, was curious if anyone heard his pitiful characters begging for
money, oh yeah, if you send in anything he said he will send you a color (I
think) photograph of himself (Ed Bolton) behind the mic reading the scripts.
I'm looking forward to getting mine, at least I'll have that to remind me of
it.

Thoughts anyone on him asking for small donations like that?

~*~*Monitoring The AirWaves~*~
*****GO BEARCATS*****
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
600ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Sloper
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*

Old April 27th 04, 11:37 AM
Pete & Renee Davis

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
I scanned across 7415 a few times last night. Didn't know that it was supposed
to be Amos & Andy; just heard someone asking for money. Thought maybe
NPR had gone SW .
pYou're right; this is a piece of Americana, even if it's not PC in this
day and age.
pI suspect that some SWLers might be avoiding WBCQ now that the preacher
has taken over more air time. But I guess it pays the bills.
pI'd probably kick in a few bucks to keep the program on the air. Can
you post their address?
pPete Davis
pGO BEARCATS wrote:
blockquote TYPE=CITEAt 0400UCT here at my QTH in Cincinnati, first time
I EVER heard Ed 'literally'
brplead for donations.  I was taping the show to let my Dad hear
it and hoping he
brread my letter I sent out Saturday with some money.
pBut he didn't do the 'Amos & Andy' show itself tonight, he used
their voices to
brask for donations,  I wonder how many (like he said) listen to
the 12-14 minute
brshow every night and leave it to others to send in two or five bucks?
pHe literally said it tonight.  "No donations and the show will
forever be
brgone." He really means it too.  It WILL be gone also because no
one is going to
bracquire the original scripts (he won't sell em'~*he'd burn then first
IMO~* and
brdo the voices like he does.  It's pretty sad IMO,  that show
is a HUGE part of
brAmericana and just because cheap butts won't send it two dollars but
listen to
brit, people like me aren't going to get to hear it anymore and I was
just
brgetting into the characters and storyline.
pIf he takes it off the air due to those reasons, I can't do much, but
I'll
brnever send another cent to ANY broadcaster anywhere.  Let em'
fend for their
brselves or shut up (like apparently everyone else is doing) because
I'm not
brgiving you my money so you can hear for free...lol.  These transmitters
and
brrelays and stuff don't run for free,  not including his time and
everything he
brsaid tonight that goes into making ONE show.
pI'll fire up my four scanners and transmitter and do my BCB dxing and
forget
brshortwave and get my ticket.
pJust my take, was curious if anyone heard his pitiful characters begging
for
brmoney, oh yeah, if you send in anything he said he will send you a
color (I
brthink) photograph of himself (Ed Bolton) behind the mic reading the
scripts.
brI'm looking forward to getting mine, at least I'll have that to remind
me of
brit.
pThoughts anyone on him asking for small donations like that?
p       &nbsp ;       &nbsp ;
~*~*Monitoring The AirWaves~*~
br       &nbs p;
*****GO BEARCATS*****
br       &nbs p;
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
br       &nbs p;                &nbsp ;
Hammarlund HQ140X
br       &nbs p;
[...]
br /blockquote
/html

Old April 27th 04, 01:21 PM
eggs

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message

He literally said it tonight. "No donations and the show will forever be
gone." He really means it too. It WILL be gone also because no one is

going to
acquire the original scripts

Bye Bye! Another WBCQ weirdo fades away
in the wind with the wind-powered propeller generator.
Dis means more airtime for Brother Stair? - Woooooo Hooo!!!!!

Old April 27th 04, 01:29 PM
N8KDV

GO BEARCATS wrote:

[...]

Maybe it's not a case of 'cheap butts' not sending in any money, but rather the
possibility that there are actually very few listeners?

[...]

He can ask all he wants, but as I've mentioned above there may actually be very few
listeners.

As with anything like that, only a percentage of listeners would send in money
anyway. Ask NPR!

Old April 27th 04, 03:59 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"N8KDV" wrote:
| Maybe it's not a case of 'cheap butts' not sending in any money, but
rather the
| possibility that there are actually very few listeners?

Cha-CHING!

We have a winnah!

Anus 'n Andy just is not interesting to me.

73,

Steve Lawrence
KAØPMD
Burnsville, Minnesota

(NOTE: My email address has only one "dot."
You'll have to edit out the one between the "7"
and the "3" in my email address if you wish to

---

Old April 27th 04, 04:31 PM
Frank Dresser

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message
At 0400UCT here at my QTH in Cincinnati, first time I EVER heard Ed

'literally'
plead for donations. I was taping the show to let my Dad hear it and

hoping he
read my letter I sent out Saturday with some money.

But he didn't do the 'Amos & Andy' show itself tonight, he used their

voices to
ask for donations, I wonder how many (like he said) listen to the 12-14

minute
show every night and leave it to others to send in two or five bucks?

How many people are even casual listeners of the show? Maybe not many.
I've heard it a couple of times, and I haven't made the effort to remember
what time and day it's on. I don't see any reason to think the show is
popular.

He literally said it tonight. "No donations and the show will forever be
gone." He really means it too. It WILL be gone also because no one is

going to
acquire the original scripts (he won't sell em'~*he'd burn then first

IMO~* and
do the voices like he does.

The original show is gone. It wasn't recorded. If some guy wants to
recreate the show from the old scripts, that's nice but it's only a
recreation.

If he's go a public spirited interest in preserving what's left of the
original show, I'll suggest he should donate the scripts to a museum. Or he
could scan them and post them on the internet. If he scanned the scripts
using OCR, he could reduce the scans to text files and post them to one of
the old time radio groups.

It's pretty sad IMO, that show is a HUGE part of
Americana and just because cheap butts won't send it two dollars but

listen to
it, people like me aren't going to get to hear it anymore and I was just
getting into the characters and storyline.

If he takes it off the air due to those reasons, I can't do much, but I'll
never send another cent to ANY broadcaster anywhere. Let em' fend for

their
selves or shut up (like apparently everyone else is doing) because I'm not
giving you my money so you can hear for free...lol.

Everybody? What evidence is there that this show is popular with everybody?

These transmitters and
relays and stuff don't run for free, not including his time and

everything he
said tonight that goes into making ONE show.

He's hobby broadcasting. There's no reason to complain about the
difficulties of a hobby. He can drop hobby broadcasting and build his own
airplane or research the cooking utensils of the Civil War or learn all the
Asian languages.

I'll fire up my four scanners and transmitter and do my BCB dxing and

forget
shortwave and get my ticket.

That's the idea. Don't complain about your hobby, just do something else.

Just my take, was curious if anyone heard his pitiful characters begging

for
money, oh yeah, if you send in anything he said he will send you a color

(I
think) photograph of himself (Ed Bolton) behind the mic reading the

scripts.
I'm looking forward to getting mine, at least I'll have that to remind me

of
it.

Thoughts anyone on him asking for small donations like that?

He has every right to ask, and if he doesn't get enough, he should take the
hint and cover all his hobby expenses.

If he wants to share the history of these old scripts, he can scan them and
post them on the internet. This would cost very little.

If he wants to preserve the historical value of the scipts, he can donate
them to the Museum of Broadcasting.

Frank Dresser

Old April 27th 04, 08:39 PM
Harris

GO BEARCATS wrote:

He literally said it tonight. "No donations and the show will forever be
gone." He really means it too. It WILL be gone also because no one is going to
acquire the original scripts (he won't sell em'~*he'd burn then first IMO~* and
do the voices like he does. It's pretty sad IMO, that show is a HUGE part of
Americana and just because cheap butts won't send it two dollars but listen to
it, people like me aren't going to get to hear it anymore and I was just
getting into the characters and storyline.

The original "Amos & Andy" broadcasts are available on CD for anyone who
enjoys that kind of thing.

Art
Old April 28th 04, 06:15 AM
LW

"eggs" wrote ...

Bye Bye! Another WBCQ weirdo fades away
in the wind with the wind-powered propeller generator.
Does means more airtime for Brother Stair? - Woooooo Hooo!!!!!

Good catch .. one thing the profit needs is more air time.

And one thing we need on shortwave is more profit Stair.

Just ask Bro. Lawrence.
Old April 28th 04, 07:06 AM
GO BEARCATS

Bye Bye! Another WBCQ weirdo fades away
in the wind with the wind-powered propeller generator.
Dis means more airtime for Brother Stair? - Woooooo Hooo!!!!!

Huh? Weirdo? What are you talking about? The guy is doing 'Amos & Andy' from
back in the 30's, he isn't a preacher.sheesh

Old April 28th 04, 07:19 AM
GO BEARCATS

You're right; this is a piece of Americana, even if it's not PC in thisday
and age.

Yeah, I know Pete. I don't think of it as racist though. If my Dad would have
never told me about 'it'......and me just listening to it on sw, I'd have never
thought about that.

Isn't that sad? Shows 'how far' *we've* come as a country.

I'm sure Ed would appreciate it, I has sent him a letter of thanks, I felt I
owed him that, if not for me, for the joy 'Amos&Andy' gave my Grandma-Grandpa
and my Dad, you know?
I also enclosed my post to you all (I guess a week or two ago in here asking to
give him a hand. Then three or four nights later he said over the air that he
was going to start enclosing a pic of him doing the scripts, that's cool, I'll
frame it and hang it withall my KIPM qsl's and a few other real nice framed
QSL's I've received. :-)

Here's his address

Ed Bolton
4212 Jonestown Rd.
Harrisburg,Pa. 17109

I swear I know it by heart now. It's a neat show in the fact that he does it
on exactly the same day as it was aired in 1932 from the exact scripts and it's
like a soap opera, which I'm not into, but it was easy to 'catch on'~* and now
I know the characters.

Remember, it's on EVERY night at midnight UCT on 7.415 wherever you are and the
show is only 10 minutes or so, it's not like you're gonna be sitting for a
half hour or anything.

Take care.:-)