Old November 26th 04, 06:31 PM
Gary Brown

Default WTB: Select-A-Tenna

Please state condition and price shipped to ZIP 27513.

Gary
K4GPB

Old November 26th 04, 08:06 PM
David

http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT21.html

Old November 27th 04, 05:02 AM
Michael

Always wondered how well these things worked? According the CC Crane Co.
they're the best innovation since 'Amplitude Modulation". Fine, but can any
real user chime in with some performance stats?

Seems to me that it's almost too good to be true, but once in a while a
great product does come out and is superb. So, any Select-A-Tenna users have
any opinions they wish to share? My brother wants a Sony AP1....might this
be a cost effective alternative. His use is near distant / local AM.

Thanks,
Mike T.

news

Old November 27th 04, 05:14 AM

ccrane pedals JUNK! About six years ago I bought one of those $164.00
plastic ccrane JUNK radios that Art Ohhhh Myyyyyy Goddddd Bell and
George Afraid Of Ouija Boards Noory (George Noory actually doesn't know
how long he was in the Navy) tout so much and at the same time I bought
one of those round JUNK antenna thingys with the knob in the middle of
it.That piece of JUNK radio and that piece of JUNK antenna thingy didn't
show me anything at all.I packed that JUNKY plastic crap! back up and I
sent it back to those JUNK pedaling creeps! in Fortuna,California.STAY
AWAY FROM ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING ccrane pedals!
cuhulin

Old November 27th 04, 05:18 AM

I even tried out one of their top dollar Sangean shortwave radios.I sent
that crappy piece of JUNK! back to them too.I suppose ccrane JUNK!
pedaling company still has some sort of data in their JUNK! pedaling
computers or hard paper records that can prove what I am saying.
cuhulin

Old November 27th 04, 05:20 AM

An old saying goes,If It Sounds Too Good To Be True,It IS! Too Good To
Be True.
cuhulin

Old November 27th 04, 06:06 AM
Tony Meloche

Well, to take a slightly different view than "cuhulin":

The original "Select-a-tenna" is a good value if you are a dedicated
AM DX'er, IMO. It runs on *nothing* (completely passive) and will last
a lifetime. If positioned correctly, it is equally useful with loop or
ferrite bar antennas.
But it cannot do everything, and it does not do it's own thing equally
well in all circumstances. For example:

Nightime DX with a typical AM table radio - it is a help. It "cleans
up" distant stations perceptibly. When not DXing (just getting work
done) in the evenings, I like to listen to an AM station some 275 miles
distant. This is on an ordinary Sony tabletop stereo, hooked to a loop
antenna for AM. The Select-a-tenna cleans up the signal noticeably.

For DAYTIME DX on an AM radio, it is a HUGE help - sometimes it
borders on astonishing. I have seen it change "far fringe" (daytime) to
"local" signal quality on numerous occasions.

Generally, the more basic the AM radio, the better it works with it.
It does not "boost" the signal so much as it "funnels" the signal more
directly to the receiver. Nighttime, it makes a differnce. Daytime, it
makes a big difference.

I've owned one for years - well worth the $45 I paid for it. YMMV,
of course.

Tony
Old November 27th 04, 06:15 AM
Craig \(WB6LZV\)

A very good appraisal. My experiences have been similar. I inherited one
from my grandfather who passed away 15 years go... and he had been using it
for at least 10 years before that. Well worth the $35 he paid for it back
in the '70s.

Old November 27th 04, 10:59 AM
nitespark

Michael wrote:

Always wondered how well these things worked? According the CC Crane Co.
they're the best innovation since 'Amplitude Modulation". Fine, but can any
real user chime in with some performance stats?

Seems to me that it's almost too good to be true, but once in a while a
great product does come out and is superb. So, any Select-A-Tenna users have
any opinions they wish to share? My brother wants a Sony AP1....might this
be a cost effective alternative. His use is near distant / local AM.

I have one and will tell you they are HIGHLY EFFECTIVE. All you need do
is set it next to just about any AM radio with an internal antenna and
tune it to the frequency where you want to listen and you will hear
stations CLEARLY that you couldn't even detect before.

Not only that, they can improve the selectivity of the AM radio. The
station I am listening to is about 25 miles south of where I live and
runs 1000 watts (I think). I cannot hear it at all without the
Select-a-tenna. However, there is a 10,000 watt station 20khz lower
about 2-3 miles from where I live. With careful tuning of both the
radio and the Select-a-tenna, I can easily hear the lower power station
25 miles away, and eliminate the closer higher power station on an
inexpensive AM radio.
Old November 27th 04, 12:28 PM
Gary Brown

I found one!..and there's 6 more on eBay right now.

Amazon also has 5 reviews of the similar Terk AM Advantage

Gary
K4GPB