Old November 30th 04, 02:12 PM
wigg

Default Lowe receivers -- difference?

What the difference between the HF 125 and HF 225 receivers from Lowe.
Are they significantly better than the Radio Shack 394 or SONY 2001D?
Thanks
Garry

Old November 30th 04, 02:35 PM
Dale Parfitt

"wigg" wrote in message
What the difference between the HF 125 and HF 225 receivers from Lowe.
Are they significantly better than the Radio Shack 394 or SONY 2001D?
Thanks
Garry

The 225 featured speed sensitive tuning, a 200 Hz vs 400 Hz CW audio

filter, finer VFO increments, more audio output power, and I believe 2 VFO's
( i.e. A/B).

Although I have never owned the 2001D, there is NO comparison between the
R.S. and the lowe receivers- beginning with mechanical build quality to VFO
cleanliness, filter selection, AM sync, ease of use, the list goes on and
on.

Dale W4OP

Old November 30th 04, 03:37 PM
Michael Lawson

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message

"wigg" wrote in message
What the difference between the HF 125 and HF 225 receivers from

Lowe.
Are they significantly better than the Radio Shack 394 or SONY

2001D?
Thanks
Garry

The 225 featured speed sensitive tuning, a 200 Hz vs 400 Hz CW

audio
filter, finer VFO increments, more audio output power, and I believe

2 VFO's
( i.e. A/B).

Although I have never owned the 2001D, there is NO comparison

between the
R.S. and the lowe receivers- beginning with mechanical build quality

to VFO
cleanliness, filter selection, AM sync, ease of use, the list goes

on and
on.

I remember a fellow SW enthusiast once asking Universal
whether the Lowe 125 was better than the Sony 2010/2001D.
Universal said that if you've got the Sony, you really don't
need the Lowe, since the Lowe isn't that much better to
justify getting it if you've already got the 2010.

That said, compared to the Radio Shack/Sangean or the
Radio Shack tabletop, the performance of the Lowe
receivers were always better in the Passport reviews.
As for differences between the two Lowe models for
performance, I'll defer to someone who's used them both.

--Mike L.

Old November 30th 04, 05:33 PM
elg110254

According to 1993's W.R.T.H. Equipment Buyers Guide, both Lowes' HF-125 &
HF-225 generate synthesizer noise between 30 & 70 khz. The HF-125 also
generates 1 microvolt "birdies" @ 143, 1500, 1945, 3141, 4901, 9891, 10793,
11954, 13935, 14082, 14482, 14505, 14847, 18749, 21587, 23988, 28784, & 29695
khz. Six birdies were found on the HF-225, but their frequencies weren't
notated. "More expensive sets like Yaesu's FRG-8800 & ICOM's R-71 have around
the same number of birdies too". Both units have memory capacity for 30
frequencies, & dual-conversion topology @ 45mhz & 445khz. Narrow Band F.M. &
Synchrophase Detection were add-on options on both receivers, as well as a
keypad for direct frequency input. Although the HF-125's "synchronous detection
does perform, it doesn't lock onto very weak signals; & when this mode is used,
the audio sounds less pleasant. Unlike the cheaper Sony ICF-2001D/2010, which
also offers synchronous detection, you cannot select between upper or lower
sideband. We would rate the value of the synchronous detector as only
FAIR/POOR. The sync on the new Lowe HF-150 is much better". Sync fidelity is
better on the HF-225, but still isn't selectable sideband & thus rated only
FAIR. Dynamic range on the HF-150 is 78db, & 88db on the HF-225. WRTH said both
units are nice no-frills performers, but bear in mind the HF-150 has the better
sync detector.
Old November 30th 04, 10:20 PM
wigg

Thanks all I figure Ill HOT ROD the 2001D as I like the mode stored with
station and channel hop in the dark hihi!

It does need a bit of surgery after all these years of graft!

Garry

&

Old December 1st 04, 02:02 AM
matt weber

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:12:24 -0000, "wigg"
wrote:

What the difference between the HF 125 and HF 225 receivers from Lowe.
Are they significantly better than the Radio Shack 394 or SONY 2001D?
Thanks
Garry

The HF125 doesn't really have a front end as I recal (you had to buy
it as an option) l, the 225 is a very good receiver (and the 225 even
better), and far better than either RS 394 or 2001D/2010.
Old December 1st 04, 11:49 AM
Larry Ozarow

matt weber wrote:

The HF125 doesn't really have a front end as I recal (you had to buy

^^^^^^^^^^^
You're thinking of the HF150 here. I believe that the HF125 was pretty
similar to its successor the HF225.

Old December 1st 04, 01:19 PM
Dale Parfitt

"Larry Ozarow" wrote in message

matt weber wrote:

The HF125 doesn't really have a front end as I recal (you had to buy

^^^^^^^^^^^
You're thinking of the HF150 here. I believe that the HF125 was pretty
similar to its successor the HF225.

I too believe that is correct. With that said, my 150's have never

overloaded here in the states- even when used with gain antennas such as
Yagis. But this can be a problem in EU with the powerful HF broadcast
transmitters. Seem to recall that the HF-150E corrected this potential
problem.

Dale W4OP

Old December 1st 04, 02:01 PM
Larry Ozarow

Dale Parfitt wrote:

overloaded here in the states- even when used with gain antennas such as
Yagis. But this can be a problem in EU with the powerful HF broadcast
transmitters. Seem to recall that the HF-150E corrected this potential
problem.

Dale W4OP

Dale,

AFAIK, even for the HF225, Lowe recommended no more than
a 10m wire for an antenna. I've never used my 225
with more than about a 50 ft wire and it certainly
never showed any symptoms of overload, and I think
your point about EU vs US SW environment is well taken.

An earlier poster on this thread cited the WRTH handbook
and pointed out that the synchronous detector on the 125/225
was not single sideband, and that's true as far as it goes.
I have both a 2010 and the Lowe and I find the Lowe to be much
easier to use in crowded bands despite the lack of selectable
sideband - its IF filters work very nicely esp. compared with the 2010's
pathetic stock filters, and its stability and audio quality in SSB
mode make the lack of sideband synch less of an issue.
Old December 1st 04, 05:17 PM
digitania

[...]

The HF225 owner's manual recommends a 10-30m long wire antenna if you're
going that way.

Is your 50ft wire just a simple long wire, and do you use a tuner?