Old December 17th 04, 07:59 PM
starman

m II wrote:

Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:

One of the bright spots on the RFI horizon was the gift of an LCD
monitor from my brother in law (wedding present) a couple of years
ago. Glass CRTs are fast becoming unavailable, and that is one
"solid-state" trend I heartily support.

It's a step in the right direction, but I'm going to wait. A few years
ago I bought a small laptop with a ten inch screen. Within a few
months, it had five or six dead pixels.

The computer was still completely usable, but seeing those dead spots
started to really bother me. A CRT will either work or not work, plus
the colour rendition in Corel Draw and Photoshop is still superior to
the LCD. That's important to a lot of people

I like the smaller depth of the LCD screen and the much lower power
consumption, but I'll be waiting for a year or two yet before committing.

mike

A CRT can get dead pixels (phosophors) but it's more rare than LCD's.
CRT's usually die a slow death as the cathode emission gets weaker with
age. This makes the screen get dimmmer and less focused.

Old December 17th 04, 08:05 PM
starman

Dick and Judy Tarr wrote:

I have a Sony Wega 20" in the room adjacent to the computer/radio room. The
interference generated by this tv being turned on (my wife watches it all
the time, unfortunately) is mind boggling, especially on the 41 and 31meter
bands (7 & 9 mhz on my Icom R71A receiver and longwire antenna. What
exactly did you mean when you said you installed a "powerstrip" behind the
tv? The Sony 20" tv is plugged into a hefty surge protector. Plugging into
the wall outlet directly vs into the surge protector outlet strip does not
affect the massive amount of rfi it generates on the aforementioned bands
(wipes them out completely). Any suggestions? Please define what you mean
by "powerstrip behind the tv." Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dick
Bremerton, WA

I also have a Wega flat screen (CRT) near my receiver (Drake-R8B). The
television does seem to put out more RFI than the one it replaced, but
it's not a problem because of the antenna system I use. Here's why:

http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html

Old December 18th 04, 01:27 AM
matt weber

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:52:28 -0800, "Dick and Judy Tarr"
wrote:

I have a Sony Wega 20" in the room adjacent to the computer/radio room. The
interference generated by this tv being turned on (my wife watches it all
the time, unfortunately) is mind boggling, especially on the 41 and 31meter
bands (7 & 9 mhz on my Icom R71A receiver and longwire antenna. What
exactly did you mean when you said you installed a "powerstrip" behind the
tv? The Sony 20" tv is plugged into a hefty surge protector. Plugging into
the wall outlet directly vs into the surge protector outlet strip does not
affect the massive amount of rfi it generates on the aforementioned bands
(wipes them out completely). Any suggestions? Please define what you mean
by "powerstrip behind the tv." Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Replace the TV with an LCD display. The Horizontal oscillator
operates a literally watts, and that nice saw tooth wave form
generates a very generous supply of harmonics. The problem with most
TV's isn't conductive as much as radiated..

Old December 18th 04, 03:05 AM
Brian Hill

"matt weber" wrote in message

Replace the TV with an LCD display. The Horizontal oscillator
operates a literally watts, and that nice saw tooth wave form
generates a very generous supply of harmonics. The problem with most
TV's isn't conductive as much as radiated..

True, that works but isolating the RF is elementary. Bad building practices
are no excuse for ditching CRTs. I myself like the the resolution and
clarity CRTs can display. Were talking about junk not bad technology.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old December 18th 04, 08:44 AM
m II

Brian Hill wrote:
"m II" wrote in message
newsavwd.45673$eb3.3628@clgrps13...

Brian wrote:

Thanks Steve. This has really made my day. I even had to message my
girlfriend at work to tell her about it, which is kind of dumb because

she

doesn't really care, but she's happy if I am.

So....does she have a sister?

mike

Pervert!

Wanting to be introduced to the sister of a SAINT who is happy because
YOU are happy make one a pervert? Having a selfless, caring mate like
that would be a true blessing and one could certainly hope these
traits would be present in a sibling of this paragon of womanly virtues.

mike

Old December 18th 04, 08:52 AM
m II

Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:

Well, if you're handy, conductive spray paint and ferrite beads can be
enormously
helpful - are you experiencing RFI from the CRT?

No interference problems at all. I've been lucky in the computer
components. A TenTec 320 sits about four feet from the right side of
the monitor with NO problems. There is a coax going to the attic and
from there to the end of the house, where a longwire goes to the
garage peak.

Some others haven't been so lucky. I've read of a gentleman who had to
use a much longer serial cable to distance the radio.

I have the coax shield grounded at the connection to the longwire

mike
Old December 18th 04, 02:33 PM
Brian Hill

"m II" wrote in message

Wanting to be introduced to the sister of a SAINT who is happy because
YOU are happy make one a pervert? Having a selfless, caring mate like
that would be a true blessing and one could certainly hope these
traits would be present in a sibling of this paragon of womanly virtues.

mike

It's ok mike. I believe you B.H.

Old December 18th 04, 02:35 PM
Brian Hill

"m II" wrote in message

No interference problems at all. I've been lucky in the computer
components. A TenTec 320 sits about four feet from the right side of
the monitor with NO problems.

mike

I thought Steve said you owned a portable. :0 scratching head

B.H.

Old December 18th 04, 04:39 PM

Speakng of old tv sets,how come they don't make new tv sets anymore so
we can sit things on top of our new tv sets,the new ones have such weird
shapes to them.For instance,my tv set I bought a few years ago,I can not
sit anything on top of that tv set but my older model tv set I use for
my satellite tv,I can easily sit things on top of that tv set.
cuhulin
(sometimes,I forget which one of my six webtv user names I am using at
the time.Yes,I own a Velocity Micro $1,290.00 ProMagix tower computer I
bought from www.velocitymicro.com earlier this year too)

Old December 18th 04, 04:56 PM

My computer monitor is a refurbished 22 inch screen NEC Multisync FP
1350 I bought from tigerdirect.com earlier this year but tigerdirect's
quality control SUCKS! When my monitor got here there was a piece of
broken off thumbscrew broken off in the right side of the port where my
fifteen foot computer to computer monitor cable attatches to that port.I
cut a little piece of plywood and cut a little notch in it and I
fiberglassed it by the side of the port and I used a plastic tie to
secure that side of my cable to the 15 pin port.
I didn't feel like packing my monitor up and sending it back to
tigerdirect so I fixed it myself.

......D-Day Larry