Old January 2nd 05, 08:14 PM
Left Coast

My spin -- comments welcome

Are you talking about the antipode distance or how far a radio wave can
travel around the earth ???

For antipode -- The earth has a circumference of approximately 24,900 miles.
More precisely the circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,902 mi
So 1/2 of 24,902 = 12,451 miles. That's half way around the world (at the
equator)
But as some one quipped -- from you to your next door neighbor is all the
way around the earth ~ 24,900 miles

For radio transmissions, one can transmit long path and achieve distances
greater than 12,451miles

For example the short path distance from So Calif to South Africa is about
9,895 miles but the long path distance is 14,962 miles

I have worked long path to South Africa on Ham radio many times
--
LC

"HankG" wrote in message
news
Just curious. Anyone know what the longest GC distance from any point on
Earth to any other point?

HankG

Old January 2nd 05, 08:39 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
HankG wrote:
Just curious. Anyone know what the longest GC distance from any point on
Earth to any other point?

20,000 km. +/- some error the original metric system's surveyors made.
(The original definition of the meter was that the great circle distance
from the North Pole through Paris to the Equator was 10,000 km).

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old January 2nd 05, 09:20 PM
Barnacle Bill

On 2005-01-02, Simon Mason wrote:

wrote in message
The Constellation Earth is in is zooming through the Universe at about
60,000 miles per hour,that is.Boy!,what a Ride!
cuhulin

What is the name of the constellation Earth is in?

Smegmalonius
Old January 3rd 05, 12:00 AM
Joel Rubin

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 09:03:24 -0500, "HankG" wrote:

Just curious. Anyone know what the longest GC distance from any point on
Earth to any other point?

Of course, the original definition (not the current definition) of the
meter was 1/10-millionth of the distance between the north pole and
the quator. So, presumably, the distance from pole to pole is 20
million meters or 20,000 km.

The earth is not quite a sphere - I believe the equator is slightly
longer than a circle of longitude.

Old January 3rd 05, 03:40 AM
Mark

"M. J. Powell" wrote in message
From you to your neighbour via long path.

Or, from to you to YOU, via longpath!

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

Old January 3rd 05, 03:42 AM
Mark

21,585 nautical miles from my location to my location via longpath!

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

Old January 3rd 05, 12:14 PM
M. J. Powell

In message 1104723596.308715@ftpsrv1, Mark writes
"M. J. Powell" wrote in message
From you to your neighbour via long path.

Or, from to you to YOU, via longpath!

Even better!

Mike
Old January 3rd 05, 02:51 PM
Simon Mason

"beerbarrel" wrote in message
actually I was replying to Simon...I think he was trying to trick
someone. The earth is part of the Milky Way galaxy. All 88
constellations are viewed from a position on Earth so how could the
earth be in one? If viewed from another far off position, they would
look different.

It wasn't a trick. He might have been on the Moon in which case the Earth
would be in a constellation.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old January 3rd 05, 03:21 PM
Jack Painter

"Joel Rubin" wrote
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 09:03:24 -0500, "HankG" wrote:

Just curious. Anyone know what the longest GC distance from any point on
Earth to any other point?

Of course, the original definition (not the current definition) of the
meter was 1/10-millionth of the distance between the north pole and
the quator. So, presumably, the distance from pole to pole is 20
million meters or 20,000 km.

The earth is not quite a sphere - I believe the equator is slightly
longer than a circle of longitude.

I was not aware there was ever any intention to make a kilometer relational
to a nautical mile. It is not, and is just as arbitrary a length of
measurement in relationship to a nautical mile (which derives from the
spherical geometry of all modern positioning) as the statute (English) mile.
Metric arithmetic is certainly easier (for humans, computers could care
less) than statute miles. But both are arbitrary as far as latitude and
longitude are concerned and each require an equal effort of arithmetic to
convert to nautical miles. Air and marine charts use nautical miles for this
reason.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Old January 3rd 05, 04:59 PM

You are right.Earth is part of the Milky Way Galaxy.I remembered that
when I read your post.And I did not look it up either.
cuhulin

TX Distance question James Dx 52 November 29th 04 03:25 PM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
distance of radio transmitter from receiver Mike Andrews Homebrew 17 January 29th 04 08:53 PM
Distance to Link Coupling in a Loop Antenna Al Antenna 6 October 28th 03 12:02 AM