Old January 8th 05, 03:19 AM
lsmyer

Default The oddities of ebay

I watched the last hour of a 5-day auction for a Sony ICF-2010. The opening
bid was set at $150. No one placed a bid until the last ten seconds of the
auction. And the winner got the radio for $150 plus $13 shipping. The seller
has a 99.7% rating and he even offers a 7 day money back guarantee. The
radio was listed in the right category. Yet it sold for just $150. Strange
indeed.

Oh, here's the link:

Maybe a lower opening bid would have been more successful.

Old January 8th 05, 09:27 AM
Evan Platt

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 22:19:23 -0500, "lsmyer"
wrote:

I watched the last hour of a 5-day auction for a Sony ICF-2010. The opening
bid was set at $150. No one placed a bid until the last ten seconds of the
auction. And the winner got the radio for $150 plus $13 shipping. The seller
has a 99.7% rating and he even offers a 7 day money back guarantee. The
radio was listed in the right category. Yet it sold for just $150. Strange
indeed.

Oh, here's the link:

Maybe a lower opening bid would have been more successful.

That's pretty certain. I worked at a eBay consignment store, and that
was what we told all our customers.
I had an item I personally sold once that I wanted $75 for. I put the
opening bid at $69.99 (people like the .99). No bids. Then relisted it
at $9.99. Sold for over $100.