Old January 12th 05, 05:02 PM

Default Battery corrosion

Can somebody reccomend a good product that is sold in spray cans and is
good for removing battery corrosion in radios and also for getting rid
of the scratchy sound when tuning in radio stations? I used to have an
old spray can of CRC 22 or CRC 222 (I think that is the name of the
product) and it worked very well.I can't seem to find it in the local
stores around here anymore.Thanks for any information.
cuhulin

Old January 12th 05, 07:51 PM

It was a spray can of CRC I had found in a local scrap metal yard about
14 years ago.Thanks for the information.I will check out the stores you
mentioned.
cuhulin

Old January 13th 05, 02:17 AM
Mike

The old formula (maybe the 14 year old stuff you mention) for CRC contained
CFC's (Chlorofluorocarbons), a nasty substance and one which can contaminate
thousands of gallons of water with just a drop. It's also thought to cause
cancer. The new formula doesn't contain CFC's.

I had some alkaline batteries leak recently and called one of the big
battery companies (Duracell I think) and they told me to use a 50/50 mix of
water and white vinegar. It worked fairly well for getting the battery
leakage out of/off of contacts and the case of the radio.

Mike
KC6SEG