Old January 31st 05, 02:45 PM
DesignGuy

wrote in message
oups.com...
I started thinking about this tonight. I was tuning around with a Lowe
HF-150, comparing it with some other receivers, and was struck by how
quiet the 150 is--and by what an advantage this is when it comes to
resolving weak AM signals.

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

Motorola R-390

Old January 31st 05, 04:20 PM
Guy Atkins

The R-390A gets my vote. Its phase noise figures are among the best, which
helps the weak DX get through.

Among solid-state gear I've owned, I consider the AR7030 and ICOM 756Pro
series receivers to be quiet, but not to the same degree as the R-390A.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

Old January 31st 05, 05:39 PM

R390/URR followed very closely by the R292/URR.
Terry

Old January 31st 05, 05:52 PM

My Lafayette KT-340 was pretty darned quiet, as were many tube radios.
It wasn't particularly sensitive though.

The quietest digital receiver I've owned is a Kenwood R-5000 and it is
sensitive

Old January 31st 05, 06:05 PM
Caveat Lector

Take a look at phase noise specs on the Elecraft page
Click on RIG COMPARISIONS

I once used a ten tec transceiver which impressed me as very quiet

--
Caveat Lector

Old January 31st 05, 10:18 PM
Caveat Lector

While we are on the subject -- there is a lot more to a receiver than
sensitivity -- MUCH MORE

Best read W8JI pages to see what you really want to consider when selecting
a receiver.

BTW: The Ten Tec Orion is top rated.

Hmmm - now where is that spare $3599.00 ???

Ten Tec Page URL:
http://www.tentec.com/TT565.htm

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)

Old January 31st 05, 10:26 PM
dxAce

Caveat Lector wrote:

While we are on the subject -- there is a lot more to a receiver than
sensitivity -- MUCH MORE

Best read W8JI pages to see what you really want to consider when selecting
a receiver.

BTW: The Ten Tec Orion is top rated.

Hmmm - now where is that spare $3599.00 ???

Ten Tec Page URL:
http://www.tentec.com/TT565.htm

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)

I did the bulk of my dx'ing and QSL'ing with Drake!

And I didn't even have a computer at the time either.

dxAce
Michigan
USA