Old February 2nd 05, 05:51 PM
Mark S. Holden

Lucky wrote:
"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message

On the difference between the Europa and the regular HF-150, I'd take the
Europa. The input filtering is likely to be more useful than any loss in
sensitivity.

He says:
"Incorporating these RF bandpass filters should theoretically reduce
spurious responses and noise. I compared the '150E to my early model '150.
When the original '150 was connected to my 90/60 meter parallel dipole,
there were several frequencies below 3 MHz which had images of local
broadcasters. With the '150E , there were no audible images present, but
there was increased noise on the same frequencies".

and

"I found that the original HF-150 was about 0.5 microvolts more sensitive
across the HF spectrum, however, the HF-150E was within specification of
less than two microvolts throughout the HF spectrum, and was typically in
the range of one microvolt. I think that the higher sensitivity of the
original may not be a virtue, given the radio's susceptibility for
overloading. I don't think that this difference is significant, and
switching in the pre-amp on the HF-150E improved the sensitivity to the
level of the '150 without pre-amp"

So basically he had to switch on the pre amp to bring it up to the 150's
sensitivity. If you don't live in areas with strong stations, I'd rather
have the sensitivity.

Plus, I didn't know the backlight option can't be turned off in the E. So,
it will drain your batteries if you ever use it as a portable.

Lucky

I'd be interested in hearing more about the "increased noise" in the
Europa - the reviewer didn't say anything other than he noticed it. Who
knows if it's significant?

I bring plenty of power for recharging battery packs when I'm camping.
I'd gladly trade the convenience of a backlight for a little battery
drain.

Unless you've taken heroic measures or live in the woods, odds are the
noise floor for your antenna will be higher than 2 microvolts.

My primary home antenna is 225 feet away from the house, with
underground coax, and according to my Harris, the noise floor is right
around the limit of the Europa.

If you were using the radio to chase DX in the woods, you could use an
outboard preamp or an active antenna.

When I was looking for a HF-150e or a 7030+ my primary concern was
finding a good radio for use when camping, and for when I'm hanging out
by the pool or fishing for snook on the other side of Alligator Alley.

The HF-150e had the edge on size and would probably have cost less, the
7030+ had the edge on performance, and availability.

Both radios were designed by the same person.

Old February 2nd 05, 09:49 PM
Lucky

Lucky wrote:
[...]

Yes who knows how significant the noise was but if he noticed it, it must of
stood out enough. Still, you can't really be sure it can be reproduced on
all the E models unless you had at least 3 to test it on at the very same
time.

But as they said it was produced mainly for the Euro market where conditions
are different then where we live. With that gothic gold "Europa" label
across the radio it kinda reminds of me of a mini Dracula's coffin

Mark you don't mean Alligator Alley in Florida do you? Nah they got
alligators in alley's in most states nowadays...

Lucky

Old February 3rd 05, 02:44 PM
Mark S. Holden

Lucky wrote:

[...]

The "Europa" lettering does look kind of tacky.

Yes on Florida. (Naples)

I'm in North Miami

Unfortunately, I don't get to spend much time in Naples, but the reception is
nice - probably because of the bay and the Gulf of Mexico. You can't dig down
more than a few inches without hitting water.
Old February 3rd 05, 04:21 PM
Lucky

Lucky wrote:

[...]

When I take my Degen 1103 right to the beach, I pick up so much stuff it's
incredible.
Airports galore too. So nice and wide open.

Lucky

Old February 3rd 05, 10:15 PM
Guy Atkins

I noticed the seller cancelled the order just a few minutes after he
answered my inquiry about the rig actually being a Europa model. I pointed
out the lack of "Europa" tag on the front panel. The seller said that the
back panel is marked "HF-150e" and that it was indeed a Europa version.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

wrote in message
ups.com...
auction was canceled by seller

Old February 3rd 05, 11:54 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
auction was canceled by seller

The last versions of the HQ-150 were black faced and had the backlit
display. They "were not" a Europa. They were built by the company that
bought Lowe out. I owned one of the Europa's when they first arrived,
got it from Universal. Good receiver, much improved over the HQ-150,
especially on mw. Had problems with the mixer, got it fixed and traded
it.

Les

Old February 4th 05, 10:34 AM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote in message
ups.com...
auction was canceled by seller

The last versions of the HQ-150 were black faced and had the backlit
display. They "were not" a Europa. They were built by the company that
bought Lowe out. I owned one of the Europa's when they first arrived,
got it from Universal. Good receiver, much improved over the HQ-150,
especially on mw. Had problems with the mixer, got it fixed and traded
it.

Les

Hi

Much improved in the front end?
I got my HF-150 yesterday. So far I'm liking it very much. Now, I can see
what the problem is with overload, but I haven't tried a single long wire
yet. I have a dipole hooked up to a 4:1 current balun. This is connected to
the coax connection and the back is on "Norm"

I'm on the 23rd floor of a building and have a clear line East, North and
South. Signals do come in strong from around the area. I have to use the
plain A, ASU or An setting on some of these AM stations but that clears it
right up nicely. ASF has either overload and/or heteros when I try it. Do
you think I should disconnect the balun and stick with the spring connection
and just a long wire? Have to try that out today and see.

The preamp doesn't kick in unless you have it on Whip setting as far as I
can tell.

This is a very powerfull little radio! I was floored by how small it
actually is. I thought it was somewhat bigger. Great powerful portable
that's for sure. I read in one usenet comment how this radio is really a pro
model not meant for amateurs.

I love the tuning knob. Good feel, nice vibes!
The seller sent me the original manual in very good condition. He must of
kept it bagged all this time. Also came with a 12v Rat Shack PSU. Plus, it
had 8 white cad batteries in it already. They say made in Mexico on them. I
might get some new better ones. Included was the original keypad for the
radio too.

I didn't get to play with it till much later in the night since I had to go
out after I just got it. So I need to spend much more time with it.
It's such a cute little radio too. Built like a damn brick. Fantastic
audio.It's so easy on the ears. You want to listen to it. Like butter
flowing thru the air.

The ECSS is very very good. The selectable sideband is a pleasure to use. It
takes these little companies to make such great products.
They often put so much quality into their products they go out of business
due to less profits.

Like they say, the quality goes in before the name goes on.

Lucky

Old February 4th 05, 11:43 AM
Lucky

"Lucky" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote in message
[...]

The overloading occurs only at strong local frequencies so far. But, I do
get some overloading on a couple of my other radios at these stations like
610 WIOD AM. There are many local stations down here in Miami.

Lucky

Old February 4th 05, 12:06 PM
Lucky

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Lucky" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote in message
[...]

I can see how this radio can become very addicting. The quality shines thru.
I can just imagine how big this radio was when it first got released years
ago.

Lucky

Old February 4th 05, 01:12 PM
Lucky

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Lucky" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote in message
[...]

Seems this unit is newer then I thought. The date in the manual is 1991. So
I thought this must be one from 1992 or perhaps the copyright date in the
manual never changes.
Then I found this on the net:

"The only other "mod" for the HF150 is that needed to bring out the AGC
signal
to drive the S meter in the SP (now AP)150. This just involves cutting
one
track on the PCB if the radio has a serial number after *142617 (manf
date **June
94). If the s/n is before this, you also have to add one resistor. This
brings
out the S meter drive signal on what used to be the wire antenna ground
terminal."

My serial number is 143229 so I figure this was made in late 1994/1995.

Lucky