Old February 4th 05, 05:04 AM
Telamon

In article ,
anagram wrote:

Telamon wrote:
http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intel...le.jsp?aid=182

Jim Latham is the nut case that used to run RFPI in costa Rica before
the university there threw him out. This is his rant. I don't think they
are broadcasting anymore.

1) AFAIK, the university locked out RFPI because they couldn't pay the
rent. They plan to get their transmitters back up once they've raised
enough money.

2) The article identifies right-wing extremists on shortwave, complete
with quotes. I don't know why you think this is a rant.

Here's a couple more on the same topic:
http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intel...le.jsp?aid=414
http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intel...le.jsp?sid=298

Because I think he is a nut case as far to the left as the the crazy far
to the right wing broadcasts he rails against.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old February 4th 05, 06:13 PM

WBCQ Radio Station www.dogpile.com
cuhulin

Old February 5th 05, 04:42 PM
Frank Dresser

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

If you ever listened to USA broadcast radio you would find out that most

of
what is broadcast on shortwave as far as religious programming is also
broadcast on AM and FM stations all over the country. Your statement about
shortwave pandering to the folks that could otherwise not afford air time

is
very incorrect.

Well, I listen to US domestic SW. Sure, Alex Jones and Brother Stair may
also be found on local broadcast outlets. But there are plenty of very
enteraining members of the "hidden knowledge" group found exclusively on SW.

As far as foreign broadcast being a good source of news, you have to
understand that their news is biased just as much as any other media in

the
US. Most of the countries of the world do not like the US, they are

jealous
of it and would love to see its demise, especially from those on the

inside.

Huh? Other countries use SW broadcasts to demise us from those on the
inside? Does this have something to do with HAARP?

What you call "Domestic" USA short-wave is not domestic at all as
technically its illegal as one post put it earlier.

What's your point? US SW broadcasters broadcast to a domestic audience 24
hours a day, wheather it's technically illegal or not.

If these laws exist, they aren't being enforced.

Are you suggesting US domestic SW radio is some sort of illusion?

As far as being
religious nuts, that is just your opinion.

"Nuts" is such a harsh description. I prefer the term "hidden knowledge
crowd".

Not that I'm disagreeing with the term "nuts", however.

Racists, yes I've heard one or
two, but not scores.

Do anti-semites count as racists?

You can believe what you want to, and I can believe
what I want to. That's what makes this country so good, and your as

welcome
to be completely wrong as you want to be.
Brian
Brian

Why would he want to be wrong? He seems to be doing OK.

Frank Dresser

Old February 5th 05, 05:37 PM
Caveat Lector

Then don't listen to it
Tune elsewhere -- lots of non-rel to be found on the bands

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)

Old February 5th 05, 05:38 PM
RHF

AnaGram,

Old February 5th 05, 05:48 PM
CW

The law does exist and is being enforced loosely. Domestic shortwave
stations are required to have directional antennas and there beam heading
has to be outside the US. It is easily gotten around by using antennas that
are directional, but not very, and targeting the main lobe to a part of the
world that would ensure that secondary lobes cover the US. The law also
states that commercial advertising is not permitted unless it is of a nature
that would appeal to an international audience. This is being blatentenly
ignored. No, the FCC is not doing it's job.

Old February 5th 05, 06:24 PM
Frank Dresser

"CW" wrote in message
The law does exist and is being enforced loosely. Domestic shortwave
stations are required to have directional antennas and there beam heading
has to be outside the US. It is easily gotten around by using antennas

that
are directional, but not very, and targeting the main lobe to a part of

the
world that would ensure that secondary lobes cover the US. The law also
states that commercial advertising is not permitted unless it is of a

nature
that would appeal to an international audience. This is being blatentenly
ignored. No, the FCC is not doing it's job.

Is the ban of domestic programming from US private broadcasters a law or a
FCC regulation? I suppose I should have done my homework on this question,
but I haven't.

Anyway, I think the FCC is allowed much more latitude in deciding if it will
enforce it's own regulations or not. There's little practical difference
between the FCC deciding to not enforce a regulation and the FCC overturning
their own regulation.

Frank Dresser

Old February 5th 05, 09:23 PM
Tom Sevart

"CW" wrote in message
The law does exist and is being enforced loosely. Domestic shortwave
stations are required to have directional antennas and there beam heading
has to be outside the US. It is easily gotten around by using antennas

that
are directional, but not very, and targeting the main lobe to a part of

the
world that would ensure that secondary lobes cover the US.

Kind of like how WBCQ is located in Maine and is ostesibly beaming its
signal to Central America and the South Pacific.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS

Old February 6th 05, 05:34 AM
Kevin Alfred Strom

CW wrote:

The law does exist and is being enforced loosely. Domestic shortwave
stations are required to have directional antennas and there beam heading
has to be outside the US. It is easily gotten around by using antennas that
are directional, but not very, and targeting the main lobe to a part of the
world that would ensure that secondary lobes cover the US. The law also
states that commercial advertising is not permitted unless it is of a nature
that would appeal to an international audience. This is being blatentenly
ignored. No, the FCC is not doing it's job.

[...]

Even if the beam is to Canada, and the ads are intended to appeal to
Canadians at least in part, then no law is being broken.

Now I don't want to listen to lunatic religious rants (except for a
laugh, maybe during a party after everyone's tired of dancing) any
more than you do -- but still it must be admitted that the law
itself is absurd.

There's no rational reason why domestic shortwave broadcasting
shouldn't be allowed. In fact, it should be encouraged.

Low-power stations operating during the daytime in the 6 and 9 MHz
bands would have wide North American coverage (N.B. the almost
micropower Canadian stations on 49 meters) and cause little or no
interference overseas. These stations could be low-expense
operations, too (because they would be low-power and with simple
high-angle antennas), which would mean that they wouldn't have to
sell their souls to mammon (or gold- or quack cure-hawkers). They
could be operated by ordinary folks for a very small investment.

The real reason for the original law (they gave a few spurious
reasons, of course) was a desire on the part of large media
corporations to protect their big investments in mediumwave networks
from competition from lower-expense shortwave upstarts, who could
easily have covered the nation with a couple of 50,000-Watt
transmitters. Can't have that!

It's the same sort of protect-our-millions mentality that has set
terrestrial digital broadcasting back by quite a few years (and
maybe killed it), and saddled us with the kludged and dirty IBOC
turkey. Can't have scalable almost-unlimited channels! Can't have
the 250-Watt daytimer or student station upgrade overnight to an
equal signal with WABC! That would be terrible, wouldn't it?

With all good wishes,

Kevin.
--

Kevin Alfred Strom.